Eligible Works for Hugo Worldcon 2016 - Deadline 31st March!

TannerSack

12 hours ago, DreamSongs said:

Well, I'm bummed.  The Fifth Season was the one book that I hadn't read.  Guess what I'll be doing today.

You'll love it, very very good novel. I like the fairly unique/unusual way in which it is written

15 hours ago, Gormenghast said:

But I really can't understand how that Sandman miniseries won. I've always been a fan of the main series, but that mini is a trainwreck (beside also managing to break the continuity). I guess the art can do wonders to hide how crap is the writing, so I could see how it could earn some love just by artistic bruteforce.

It looks like it won by default, according to the full stats all the other nominees were beaten by No Award. Maybe it might have won anyway if someone other than Vox Day had determined what the nominees were, but I guess we'll never know now.

Here is the 

Results breakdown if anyone is interested. Fifth Season was a solid first,neither Uprooted second in the novel category

It does show that for all the havoc the Puppies caused during the nomination process they get completely swamped again during the final vote.

I see Werthead made it on to the Longlist for Best Related Work.

It also seems John Scalzi Is Not A Very Popular Author And I Myself Am Quite Popular: How SJWs Always Lie About Our Comparative Popularity Levels would have made it on to the final ballot if it wasn't for the Puppies.

I honestly though tit was going to go to Leckie or Stephenson, cause the Hugo tends to lean a lot more in the sci fi direction, and the Fifth Season has more of a fantasy feel, although its a hard noel to pin down in to a genre.

Ohh results breakdown, this should be good.

(Also, shocked Star Wars didn't win, cause, you know, Star Wars)

Edit: Damn, did not expect Uprooted to rank so high, cause, fantasy and Hugos and all.

18 hours ago, DreamSongs said:

I am also disappointed that neither Marc or Jeffro were able to beat out the 'No Award' win in Best Related Work.  I am not a Gene Wolfe fan or a gamer, but the bits of their writing that I read demonstrated a passion for what they were doing and scholarship.

Thanks! I expected no award, especially when reviews that engaged the book were simply not forthcoming after people started posting their votes. I went on Saturday and I was happy my name did not get hissed and someone even clapped. The group pic of best related work nominees is me standing by myself ...

19 hours ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

Sad (but predictable) about the Gene Wolfe study missing out - the publisher's reputation was simply too toxic.

it was no surprise but I was hoping anyway. Thank you! I was more shocked fancast was no awarded. I have a soft spot for the late larry santoro and tales to terrify after his great speech about Gene's kindness at the 2012 Fuller award ceremony and was hoping they would win.

13 hours ago, williamjm said:

I see Werthead made it on to the Longlist for Best Related Work

Yup. Just my luck for it to be this year :(

Although taking out all of the puppy-kerfuffle works and I might have just scraped the shortlist, and I would never have come close to winning.

I'll have to do better with the book version :)

15 hours ago, marcaramini said:

it was no surprise but I was hoping anyway. Thank you! I was more shocked fancast was no awarded. I have a soft spot for the late larry santoro and tales to terrify after his great speech about Gene's kindness at the 2012 Fuller award ceremony and was hoping they would win.

They did put out a message that they were uncomfortable with the way they ended up on the ballot. That might have contributed to that result.

It seems that a couple of the methods aimed at reducing the impact of slate voting were passed so for next year's Worldcon they'll be using the E Pluribus Hugo proposal to try to defeat slate voting using complicated maths and also adding an extra finalist slot so each person can nominate 5 works but the shortlist will have 6 items on it. I guess we'll see what impact they have.

There are a few people less enthusiastic about EPH now that we have more data on what it would actually do. A good summary here:

http://www.cheryl-morgan.com/?p=23177

Up until recently, we had no idea what effect EPH would have. This year we had actual test data. There are two reports, one looking at the 2014 and 2015 Hugo Awards, and one looking at this year’s data (they also look at the Retro Hugos from 2014 and 2016, but those tests are not as useful because a lot fewer people vote). The reports are quite long, but the salient points are as follows:
    - EPH will not get rid of all of the Puppy Picks on the final ballot. At best it will remove one or two.
    - EPH will also kick off some non-Puppy works. Indeed, in 2014 it would have kicked off one of the eventual winners.
    - The effect of EPH on the Dramatic Presentation categories is currently unknown because it was not tested on them.

One thing we can say about this is that it has proved the Puppies have a point. While I am satisfied that there was no SJW slate in operation in 2014, nevertheless EPH found that some categories did indeed suffer from “group think”, and it acted to produce a more diverse set of finalists. I like the idea that Joey Hi-Fi would have been a finalist in 2014.
So I have no objection to the detection of “natural slates”. Politically, however, I suspect it will be a minefield. If, next year, when EPH is used on the actual voting, people who are not on the Puppy slates get eliminated by it, I think that there will be an outcry. Fandom at large is expecting EPH to get rid of all of the Puppies, and no one else. It will not do either. People are not going to be happy.

As a result, the Business Meeting have been given the option to suspend EPH for a year if they like. Which seems to me to undercut the whole idea significantly.

On 2016-08-22 at 6:20 AM, marcaramini said:

Thanks! I expected no award, especially when reviews that engaged the book were simply not forthcoming after people started posting their votes. I went on Saturday and I was happy my name did not get hissed and someone even clapped. The group pic of best related work nominees is me standing by myself ...

Too bad you didn't win. It was certainly deserved.

Maybe I'm biased, since Gene Wolfe is my favorite writer, but I thought your book was great! Very informative on Wolfe's work, and I'm looking forward to the next one. You are writing a second one, right?

1 hour ago, Papirolle said:

Too bad you didn't win. It was certainly deserved.

Maybe I'm biased, since Gene Wolfe is my favorite writer, but I thought your book was great! Very informative on Wolfe's work, and I'm looking forward to the next one. You are writing a second one, right?

Glad you enjoyed it. So ... I had planned this to be two, but with 6 essays left to write, the length of the second had spiraled completely out of control, so my editor (who is not Vox - Vox coordinated cover art with me but the mechanical line by line had to be a dedicated Wolfe enthusiast). It is already far, far longer than the first one. We decided to split it at 2001 so the second volume would contain the rest of the solar cycle, latro, castleview,  there are doors, etc. I just have to finish 2 essays for that one, but they are long and involved  (latro and short sun). Hopefully I can do so in the next few weeks.

As a result, I don't expect the third volume to sell as well, but unlike just about every trilogy ever, the second volume will be by far the strongest. I am so happy with all of the long, novel essays I have produced for it, especially There Are Doors. Between Light and Shadow had several weak or difficult to read essays. I do not feel the same about Beyond Time and Memory - it will have my best work, and a fair amount of Gene's. (And even though I have slowed down on the project after so many uears of work, I did get better at what I was doing).

I still have to finish essays on Land Across, Evil Guest, Sorcerers House, and Borrowed Man for the third volume.

On August 21, 2016 at 8:47 AM, David Selig said:

Sandman was written by Neil Gaiman. The Hugo voters love him and I am sure a lot of them voted for it just based on name recognition. The other nominated authors and works don't seem nearly as well known.

Also Vox Day told his minions to vote for Sandman.

I read and enjoyed "Sandman: Overture".  It's well worth the award.

1 hour ago, marcaramini said:

Glad you enjoyed it. So ... I had planned this to be two, but with 6 essays left to write, the length of the second had spiraled completely out of control, so my editor (who is not Vox - Vox coordinated cover art with me but the mechanical line by line had to be a dedicated Wolfe enthusiast). It is already far, far longer than the first one. We decided to split it at 2001 so the second volume would contain the rest of the solar cycle, latro, castleview,  there are doors, etc. I just have to finish 2 essays for that one, but they are long and involved  (latro and short sun). Hopefully I can do so in the next few weeks.

As a result, I don't expect the third volume to sell as well, but unlike just about every trilogy ever, the second volume will be by far the strongest. I am so happy with all of the long, novel essays I have produced for it, especially There Are Doors. Between Light and Shadow had several weak or difficult to read essays. I do not feel the same about Beyond Time and Memory - it will have my best work, and a fair amount of Gene's. (And even though I have slowed down on the project after so many uears of work, I did get better at what I was doing).

I still have to finish essays on Land Across, Evil Guest, Sorcerers House, and Borrowed Man for the third volume.

Three books instead of two, no complaints here! :)

It'll be interesting reading about There Are Doors then, because frankly I was disappointed in that book. I read it not long ago.

Short Sun is a favorite of mine, but I haven't read Latro yet.

I have a goal to read all of Wolfe's work, but some of the short stories are really hard to find.

Does Gene Wolfe know you are writing these books? Has he commented on your interpretations of his books?

3 minutes ago, Papirolle said:

Three books instead of two, no complaints here! :)

It'll be interesting reading about There Are Doors then, because frankly I was disappointed in that book. I read it not long ago.

Short Sun is a favorite of mine, but I haven't read Latro yet.

I have a goal to read all of Wolfe's work, but some of the short stories are really hard to find.

Does Gene Wolfe know you are writing these books? Has he commented on your interpretations of his books?

Yes, I asked him first and offered him a percentage. He said whatever it sold was mine and that he was pleased with what he had read. I have about 15 years of correspondence with him, but he doesn't answer questions about his work, just about himself. The only confirmations are oblique: my reading of the changeling hinges on some chain of allusions from peter palmer to lil abner to the etymology of the word oaf. Gene said, I always loved Lil Abner, "confirming" my convoluted reasoning. He is a very kind and beautiful person, but eccentric.

(Some repetition here:The length and weird tone between scholarly and fanboyish made the book a difficult thing to sell. Many complain that the slate affected Letters to Triptree, but I feel worse about less famous selections like werthead's. Letters to tiptree got plenty of press, as this copy and paste shows:

Number 1 Bestseller on Amazon. Winner of the Locus Award, Aurealis Convenor Award, Ditmar Award. Nominated for British Science Fiction Award and British Fantasy Award. Longlisted for Tiptree Award. 

I don't feel too badly about that one, because it was widely reviewed. Nothing was as hurtful as sending my volume to people in critical sf who love Gene like Gary Wolfe, who talked for fifteen minutes on a podcast about what a work on Wolfe would have to be, just to be completely unacknowledged and ignored. I am not my publisher. That is VERY different than the justified feelings surrounding the Hugos. There are not many places who will look at 800 plus pages of single author criticism that needs extensive editing, but to be ignored by people invested in the scholarly discussion of Wolfe was in my mind practically unfathomable. I am over it now, though - mostly.) I am very happy some people enjoyed it - clearly this wasnt about money.

Gary Wolfe runs a nice critical sf line and I wrote saying if someone was going to do a volume on Wolfe or needed any biographical information they could have access to my hundreds of letters and need not engage my scholarship at all. No response.

Thank you all for your kindness. 

19 minutes ago, marcaramini said:

Yes, I asked him first and offered him a percentage. He said whatever it sold was mine and that he was pleased with what he had read. I have about 15 years of correspondence with him, but he doesn't answer questions about his work, just about himself. The only confirmations are oblique: my reading of the changeling hinges on some chain of allusions from peter palmer to lil abner to the etymology of the word oaf. Gene said, I always loved Lil Abner, "confirming" my convoluted reasoning. He is a very kind and beautiful person, but eccentric.

(Some repetition here:The length and weird tone between scholarly and fanboyish made the book a difficult thing to sell. Many complain that the slate affected Letters to Triptree, but I feel worse about less famous selections like werthead's. Letters to tiptree got plenty of press, as this copy and paste shows:

Number 1 Bestseller on Amazon. Winner of the Locus Award, Aurealis Convenor Award, Ditmar Award. Nominated for British Science Fiction Award and British Fantasy Award. Longlisted for Tiptree Award. 

I don't feel too badly about that one, because it was widely reviewed. Nothing was as hurtful as sending my volume to people in critical sf who love Gene like Gary Wolfe, who talked for fifteen minutes on a podcast about what a work on Wolfe would have to be, just to be completely unacknowledged and ignored. I am not my publisher. That is VERY different than the justified feelings surrounding the Hugos. There are not many places who will look at 800 plus pages of single author criticism that needs extensive editing, but to be ignored by people invested in the scholarly discussion of Wolfe was in my mind practically unfathomable. I am over it now, though - mostly.) I am very happy some people enjoyed it - clearly this wasnt about money.

Gary Wolfe runs a nice critical sf line and I wrote saying if someone was going to do a volume on Wolfe or needed any biographical information they could have access to my hundreds of letters and need not engage my scholarship at all. No response.

Thank you all for your kindness. 

You may have already answered this, and I apologize if you have, but is there a print version of your work?

On 8/21/2016 at 8:23 PM, Darth Richard II said:

I honestly though tit was going to go to Leckie or Stephenson, cause the Hugo tends to lean a lot more in the sci fi direction, and the Fifth Season has more of a fantasy feel, although its a hard noel to pin down in to a genre.

Ohh results breakdown, this should be good.

(Also, shocked Star Wars didn't win, cause, you know, Star Wars)

Edit: Damn, did not expect Uprooted to rank so high, cause, fantasy and Hugos and all.

I was rooting for Uprooted and Seveneves, but Fifth Season is not a bad win. 

And I thought that Mad Max was going to win it, seeing as how many professionals highly praised it. 

But my biggest head scratcher is how My Little Pony made it on the list of drama short form. Does it really fall on the drama side?

1 hour ago, Reny of Storms End said:

You may have already answered this, and I apologize if you have, but is there a print version of your work?

Working on the index now ... hopefully it will be out soon. My big incentive in the Castalia contract was a gauranteed hardback no matter how poor sales were - this project is most useful as a physical reference and that was always the goal. I need to finish the index and then I can give you an eta. 

1 minute ago, marcaramini said:

Working on the index now ... hopefully it will be out soon. My big incentive in the Castalia contract was a gauranteed hardback no matter how poor sales were - this project is most useful as a physical reference and that was always the goal. I need to finish the index and then I can give you an eta. 

Thanks for the quick response. I am glad to hear it will be printed. 

Archived