Eligible Works for Hugo Worldcon 2016 - Deadline 31st March!

TannerSack

3 hours ago, marcaramini said:

(Some repetition here:The length and weird tone between scholarly and fanboyish made the book a difficult thing to sell. Many complain that the slate affected Letters to Triptree, but I feel worse about less famous selections like werthead's. Letters to tiptree got plenty of press, as this copy and paste shows:

Number 1 Bestseller on Amazon. Winner of the Locus Award, Aurealis Convenor Award, Ditmar Award. Nominated for British Science Fiction Award and British Fantasy Award. Longlisted for Tiptree Award. 

To be fair Letters to Tiptree was published by an Australian small press, whose publisher put lots of effort in getting recognition over the past decade (? ish). And all that work apparently pays off, and people do pay attention not only locally (Aurealis, Ditmar) but also internationally.

3 hours ago, Corvinus said:

But my biggest head scratcher is how My Little Pony made it on the list of drama short form. Does it really fall on the drama side?

Pretty sure that one was Puppy-related.

It's funny; of all the categories, the two Dramatic Presentation awards were two that I had some of the most concrete, informed opinions about, but also the least emotional investment in. I guess because, you know, the cast & crew of Fury Road and Jessica Jones (great as they both were) aren't exactly members of fandom. I wasn't going to bump into Tom Hardy at barcon and say HEY MAN CONGRATS ON THE HUGO THIS WILL REALLY CHANGE YOUR LIFE.

I'm probably the happiest for the staff of Uncanny Magazine. They're wonderful people who are publishing wonderful things. Obviously the Puppy Era being exclamation-pointed by a Hugo for NK Jemisin is also delicious (and Fifth Season was, indeed, the best novel of the year!) I can't help being a little blasé about Andy Weir's Campbell victory; I feel like when you're sharing a ballot with the movie made out of your debut novel, you've already won the Secret Campbell Award. But it's not like he's undeserving.

I'm hoping for a less enPuppied set of nominations to choose from next year. We'll see how TSV/ePH go.

On 8/21/2016 at 3:06 AM, DreamSongs said:

I am also disappointed that neither Marc or Jeffro were able to beat out the 'No Award' win in Best Related Work.  I am not a Gene Wolfe fan or a gamer, but the bits of their writing that I read demonstrated a passion for what they were doing and scholarship.

Yeah, I agree. Marc, I am not a particular dude of Gene Wolfe so your work missed me, but I'm sorry it got caught up in the politics of the event, and I wish you better luck in the future. And hey, as they always say, it's an honor to be nominated!

4 hours ago, Corvinus said:

I was rooting for Uprooted and Seveneves, but Fifth Season is not a bad win. 

And I thought that Mad Max was going to win it, seeing as how many professionals highly praised it. 

But my biggest head scratcher is how My Little Pony made it on the list of drama short form. Does it really fall on the drama side?

Oh it was some like, double reverse super troll on the puppies part. Someone suggested it as a joke to them and they took it seriously.

2 hours ago, marcaramini said:

Working on the index now ... hopefully it will be out soon. My big incentive in the Castalia contract was a gauranteed hardback no matter how poor sales were - this project is most useful as a physical reference and that was always the goal. I need to finish the index and then I can give you an eta. 

See if it comes out in print I'm going to have to buy it despite the fact its published by...THEM. :P

Also to whoever it was above that hadn't read Latro, omg, go read Latro.

7 hours ago, Corvinus said:

I believe there was an organised push by bronies to get it on the ballot, which was separate from but partially overlapping with the Puppies.

Regardless of how it got there, I am glad it was beaten by Jessica Jones, I really hoped that would win out of the shortlist (I had other stuff in mind for short form, which didn't get nominated, but oh well)

8 hours ago, Corvinus said:

And I thought that Mad Max was going to win it, seeing as how many professionals highly praised it. 

Teddy and his minions declared it to be "dangerous Feminist propaganda " ie it and Star Wars were the puppies lest favorites of last year

This is insane. I was rooting for Grimm, actually in that category, though AKA was my close 2nd. But because of a bunch of assholes, some other deserving show didn't even get on the ballot. Ridiculous. If next year, one of The Expanse episodes isn't on the list, I'll be pissed.

8 hours ago, Maltaran said:

I believe there was an organised push by bronies to get it on the ballot, which was separate from but partially overlapping with the Puppies.

The thing about that particular episode is that it can be interpreted as a potshot at (straw-man) Communism, which is presumably why the Puppies liked it (in reality, the episode is really about emphasising diversity over conformity, but I digress). I think if actual Bronies had been behind it, they'd have gone for the (much better) season finale instead.

-RBPL, flirting with Bronyism since 2015...

14 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

See if it comes out in print I'm going to have to buy it despite the fact its published by...THEM. :P

Also to whoever it was above that hadn't read Latro, omg, go read Latro.

I will, I will!

So many books to read, so little time! :)

On August 21, 2016 at 8:47 AM, David Selig said:

Sandman was written by Neil Gaiman. The Hugo voters love him and I am sure a lot of them voted for it just based on name recognition. The other nominated authors and works don't seem nearly as well known.

Also Vox Day told his minions to vote for Sandman.

I read and enjoyed "Sandman: Overture".  It's well worth the award.

On August 23, 2016 at 6:36 PM, serdog said:

Teddy and his minions declared it to be "dangerous Feminist propaganda " ie it and Star Wars were the puppies lest favorites of last year

Teddy and his fellows are insecure.  They, as a result, find strong women and portrayals of strong women threatening.  It's the reaction of very sad small men.

On 8/25/2016 at 7:58 AM, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Teddy and his fellows are insecure.  They, as a result, find strong women and portrayals of strong women threatening.  It's the reaction of very sad small men.

I know some of you have seen this, but secritcrush had this to say about TB or VD or whatever

" As bad as "Seven Kill Tiger" is, it doesn't come close to sinking to the depths of “If You Were an Award, My Love” by Juan Tabo and S. Harris, I assume Tabo and Harris are sock puppet names for Theodore Beale because this story encapsulates all of his ridiculous obsessions. I assume Beale carries around a piece of paper in his pocket title "Enemies List" that starts with John Scalzi and ends with Theresa and Patrick Neilsen Hayden and likely contains things like "that curb I tripped over yesterday", "talented women writers named Swirsky", "pennies", and "the 7,623 hot women who laughed when I told them I was an alpha male." "

Scott, I will never get over your deep love of SevenEves.  My boss and I turned it into a drinking / paraphrasing game.  Two pages to say a dude cut his forehead and it was bleeding.  :headdesk:

But I still love you!

Now go read The Dark Forrest.

For next year, any of you who haven't watched The Leftovers, it is the best TV ever.  If the final season is released this year, I would beg you to consider it for both short and long form.  I was very dismayed that it has been ignored.

Chuck Tingle somewhere on that fan writer nom list.

K Eason is the only thing I've got so far for novels.

Archived