Eligible Works for Hugo Worldcon 2016 - Deadline 31st March!

TannerSack

On August 23, 2016 at 5:42 AM, Papirolle said:

Three books instead of two, no complaints here! :)

It'll be interesting reading about There Are Doors then, because frankly I was disappointed in that book. I read it not long ago.

Short Sun is a favorite of mine, but I haven't read Latro yet.

I have a goal to read all of Wolfe's work, but some of the short stories are really hard to find.

Does Gene Wolfe know you are writing these books? Has he commented on your interpretations of his books?

I haven't done the "final editing" on this, but here is the write up for There Are Doors, should be up for a month. The long summary on the novels is necessary, in my opinion, to both make appropriate comments and defend the central thesis.

http://pastebin.com/rkr4d3kP 

I read Cat Pictures Please yesterday. I am just baffled at its popularity. It is such a run-of-the-mill and forgettable story. I get that it won because all the others in the category were Puppies nominees and terrible to boot for the most part, but it's shame it got nominated in the first place IMO.

13 hours ago, marcaramini said:

I haven't done the "final editing" on this, but here is the write up for There Are Doors, should be up for a month. The long summary on the novels is necessary, in my opinion, to both make appropriate comments and defend the central thesis.

Thanks for sharing that. It's been a little bit since I read There Are Doors so my memory of it is a bit fuzzy, but that was very enlightening.  I'll definitely be keeping my eyes open for a print copy of your work.

On 8/30/2016 at 7:50 AM, David Selig said:

I read Cat Pictures Please yesterday. I am just baffled at its popularity. It is such a run-of-the-mill and forgettable story. I get that it won because all the others in the category were Puppies nominees and terrible to boot for the most part, but it's shame it got nominated in the first place IMO.

I know, right?  This story was not my favorite.

On 8/29/2016 at 10:35 PM, marcaramini said:

I love There are Doors.  It's so romantic.

On August 30, 2016 at 9:49 AM, matt b said:

Thanks for sharing that. It's been a little bit since I read There Are Doors so my memory of it is a bit fuzzy, but that was very enlightening.  I'll definitely be keeping my eyes open for a print copy of your work.

Thanks for reading it. I just "finished" the index for volume 1 - now my editor needs to actually make the page numbers match by some mysterious software magic (coupled with his understanding of thematically appropriate references), so hopefully it won't be too long until a print edition exists. The good news about that is I can perhaps start with the same index and just check off duplicate items for volume 2 and 3 and add in new concepts rather than create a new one from nothing. 

On August 31, 2016 at 1:56 PM, Lily Valley said:

I know, right?  This story was not my favorite.

I love There are Doors.  It's so romantic.

When I read it again, the scene which affected me the most was when Lora transforms into Lara in the restaurant in Green's mind. She mentions how the ocean will return some of the lost and broken remnants of things destroyed by a storm, while others will sink, lost forever; she says, "I am the storm."

Such a powerful way to conceptualize that self-destructive, all consuming love.

On 30-8-2016 at 2:50 PM, David Selig said:

It is one of the stories in 2015's Clarkesworld I enjoyed the most.  It combines a nice tongue-in-cheek explanation of why the internet runs on cats with a positive run on a near all-knowing AI. It is a nice counter to all the depressing real live issues that the big data internet companies imply. A counter to Ken Liu's A Perfect Match, or to Person of Interest.

So the first Dragon Awards winners were announced today.  From File 770:

Best Science Fiction Novel

• Somewhither: A Tale of the Unwithering Realm, John C. Wright (Castalia House)

Best Fantasy Novel

• Son of the Black Sword, Larry Correia (Baen)

Best Young Adult / Middle Grade Novel

• The Shepherd’s Crown, Terry Pratchett (Harper)

Best Military Science Fiction or Fantasy Novel

• Hell’s Foundations Quiver, David Weber (Tor)

Best Alternate History Novel

• League of Dragons, Naomi Novik (Del Rey)

Best Apocalyptic Novel

• Ctrl Alt Revolt!, Nick Cole (Castalia House)

Best Horror Novel

• Souldancer, Brian Niemeier (Self-published)

Best Comic Book

• Ms. Marvel

Best Graphic Novel

• The Sandman: Overture, Neil Gaiman & J.H. Williams III (Vertigo)

Best Science Fiction or Fantasy TV Series

• Game of Thrones

Best Science Fiction or Fantasy Movie

• The Martian

Best Science Fiction or Fantasy PC / Console Game

• Fallout 4 by Bethesda Softworks

Best Science Fiction or Fantasy Mobile Game

• Fallout Shelter by Bethesda Softworks

Best Science Fiction or Fantasy Board Game

• Pandemic: Legacy by ZMan Games

Best Science Fiction or Fantasy Miniatures / Collectible Card / Role-Playing Game

• Call of Cthulhu Roleplaying Game (7th Edition) by Chaosium Inc.

Catherynne Valente also won the Eugie Foster Memorial Award for Short Fiction for "The Long Goodnight of Violet Wild". 

1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

Hahaha oh my dear lord. Wright winning anything is hilarious enough but at the same time as ms marvel (which is awesome) adds an extra few points of WTF

According to the File770 comments Vox Day neglected to include a comic book in his voting instructions to his minions, that probably explains the discrepancy.

Teddy missed 3 of the categories in which he posted votes for  2 games categories and Young Adult Novel

ETA The Amazon page  Somewhither(which sounds lvery much like B-SF)   notes that Wright once was nominated for a Nebula so I guess he not that bad....

Archived