Eligible Works for Hugo Worldcon 2016 - Deadline 31st March!

TannerSack

If you are looking for short story recs, the tables of contents for some of the "Best SFF of 2015" anthologies were announced recently.

http://kellyrobson.com/toc-for-gardner-dozois-years-best-science-fiction-33rd-annual-collection/    - Dozois' Best SF of 2015

http://www.sfsignal.com/archives/2015/12/table-of-contents-the-years-best-science-fiction-and-fantasy-2015/  - Rich Horton's Best of the Year anthology

http://www.sfsignal.com/archives/2015/12/table-of-contents-the-best-science-fiction-of-the-year-volume-1-edited-by-neil-clarke/ - Neil Clarke's The Best Science Fiction of the Year anthology

• 2 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Do the puppies have their slates up yet, so I can have a good laugh/cry?

I took a look on the sad puppies just now out of curiosity. Doesn't seem to be any slate that I can see at the moment, and the thread I looked at (best novel) did actually seem more of a recommendations than a slate thread...so who knows? They even had a fair few recs that would be popular here (Fifth Season, Seveneaves, Sorceror to the Crown, Uprooted etc.)

I feel that covers my duty. Someone else can brave the rabid puppies...

ETA: Locus recs

1 hour ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

Is Weir even eligible at this point? I thought it had to be within two years of publication date of your first work; the Martian was self-pubbed on Amazon in 2012.

That same question was being asked in the comments, but since he was nominated last year I assume the self-pub doesn't count.

Correction: he came sixth on the nominations last year and so didn't get on the shortlist, but there's nothing on the hugo website indicating that he was ineligible.

On 2/2/2016 at 7:44 AM, Maltaran said:

Hiyall! I was active here a few years ago. Unfortunately I lost both my old password and email addy, so instead of regular-old Contrarius I am now Contrarius+. Much like Clark Kent glasses, I bet nobody will recognize me in my new disguise. ;-)

As for pups -- I've been following the Sad recs, and they look more-or-less like everyone else's recs this year, with just a few exceptions. I've tried one of those exceptions (A Long Time Until Now, by Michael Z. Williamson), and dnfed it for sheer boringness about 25% in. I'd like to check out Somewhither, by John C. Wright, but I refuse to give any money to Castalia House, which published it. The other outlier I noticed was Nethereal by Brian Neimeier -- which *might* be interesting, and I *might* try, except that some of the recs on the Sad Pups site looked a lot like sock puppets.

As for VD -- he's "suggesting" one category per day so far. I've been very interested to see how low-key he's being about them this year -- insisting they are NOT a slate and that he's NOT telling anyone to vote that way, and so on. I can't wait to see if that tone is maintained throughout the nomination process.

And as for myself -- I've been trying to read as many of the likely books as possible, but I haven't been absolutely blown away by any yet. The 2015 books I've read so far are:

Karen Memory

Aeronaut's Windlass

Sorcerer to the Crown

The Traitor Baru Cormorant

The Fifth Season

Ancillary Mercy

Uprooted

Updraft

A Long Time Until Now (dnf)

The Grace of Kings (currently reading)

Of those, I may nominate Aeronaut's Windlass, Fifth Season, Ancillary Mercy, Uprooted, and Grace of Kings, depending on what else I read before the nomination period ends.

• 1 month later...

Is there a different eligibility period for the Nebula?

I'm honestly puzzled at the appearance of 'Cat Pictures Please' on so many award and rec lists. I read it, it seems to me a three star story at best, competently done but not particularly funny or original or insightful. I guess people are seeing something there that I don't?

I'm putting together my nominations atm and am still looking for novella recs: anyone got any?

13 minutes ago, mormont said:

I'm honestly puzzled at the appearance of 'Cat Pictures Please' on so many award and rec lists. I read it, it seems to me a three star story at best, competently done but not particularly funny or original or insightful. I guess people are seeing something there that I don't?

I'm putting together my nominations atm and am still looking for novella recs: anyone got any?

Eligibility period for the Nebula runs 1st January - 31st December 

3 minutes ago, mormont said:

No. They changed the rules several years ago and now it's the same as Hugo's.

The Last Witness - K. J. Parker

Gypsy - Carter Scholz

The Citadel of Weeping Pearls - Aliette de Bodard

Wylding Hall - Elizabeth Hand

6 hours ago, mormont said:

Asimov's put online novellas (and other short fiction) nominated for it's Reader's Choice Awards:

http://www.asimovs.com/about-asimovs/readers-awards-finalists/

and did you check the usual suspects - tor.com, Lightspeed Magazine, Clarkesworld?

I am with you re: "Cat Pictures" - a nice enough story which didn't blow my mind. Shrug.

10 hours ago, David Selig said:

No. They changed the rules several years ago and now it's the same as Hugo's.

The Last Witness - K. J. Parker

Gypsy - Carter Scholz

The Citadel of Weeping Pearls - Aliette de Bodard

Wylding Hall - Elizabeth Hand

Thanks. :) I had an idea it was different, but obviously I'm behind the times, so that's some reading I can do over the next week or two.

On 3/8/2016 at 3:20 AM, mormont said:

Besides the ones mentioned by David Selig, I also really liked "Of Sorrow and Such" by Angela Slatter, "Sunset Mantle" by Alter S. Reiss, and "The Pauper Prince and the Eucalyptus Jinn" by Usman T. Malik. 

Archived