Non-Modern Fantastic Literature

ChillyPolly

I don't remember right now which version I've read, but Gilgamesh is actually considered to be the oldest work of written literature that survived to this day, and that's part of why it's considered such an important story, more than just the flood account. Also, I think the story itself is very good, dealing with themes like challenging of the gods and accepting one owns mortality.

It is not its age that I question. Nor is it its quality that I question. It is both combined. To the extent that it is a modern reconstruction/recreation, I am unsure that it is old. And to the extent that it is old, I am unsure we know enough about it to judge its quality or appreciate it as literature.

But anyhow, it is on the list.

I assumed it meant Shakespeare's Julius Caesar. It's not one I've read though so not sure if it has fantastical elements or not

The ghost of Caesar appears to Brutus in Act IV, while Brutus is half-asleep in his tent. It is, I suppose, ambiguous as to whether this is an actual supernatural manifestation, as opposed to a dream vision driven by guilt.

• 3 weeks later...

GRRM just made a comment that he is reading, and enjoying, a sea story collection by William Hope Hodgson.  I don't know what collection he is referring to, but I added MEN OF THE DEEP WATERS (1914) to the list.  Of course, THE GHOST PIRATES and THE BOATS OF THE "GLEN CARRIG" are also sea novels.

I'm thinking Herodotus might belong on the list, but I haven't read much of him.  Thoughts?

Herodotus himself claims that this is "real history" although he of course recounts a lot of myths and fantastic stories. But unlike explicit mythological stories and the like they are certainly presented as real and actual histories.

GRRM just made a comment that he is reading, and enjoying, a sea story collection by William Hope Hodgson.  I don't know what collection he is referring to, but I added MEN OF THE DEEP WATERS (1914) to the list.  Of course, THE GHOST PIRATES and THE BOATS OF THE "GLEN CARRIG" are also sea novels.

I wonder if Martin has read The Night Land.

epic thread  :cool4:

There is some non modern fantasy in Tales before Tolkein, a collection of fantasy writing 

E. H. Knatchbull-Hugessen, Frank R. Stockton, Austin Tappen Wright some authors not mentioned in this thread 

Herodotus himself claims that this is "real history" although he of course recounts a lot of myths and fantastic stories. But unlike explicit mythological stories and the like they are certainly presented as real and actual histories.

Sounds like it may qualify as "literature of the fantastic" (even if it is not "fiction of the fantastic").

The giant furry gold-digging ants certainly seem fantastic.  Lots of prophesies, too.

By the By: A Historical Romance of the Future by Edward Maitland (1873)

Annals of the Twenty-Ninth Century by Andrew Blair (1874)

The Great Romance by Anonymous (1881)

The Diothas by John Macnie (1883)

Looking Backward by Edward Bellamy (1888)

Anno Domini 2000 by Julius Vogel (1889)

Sub-Coelum by A.P. Russell (1893)

A Journey In Other Worlds by John Jacob Astor IV (1894)

Journey to Mars by Gustavus W. Pope (1894)

Journey to Venus by Gustavus W. Pope (1895)

The Militionaire by A,W. Howard (c. 1895)

A Prophetic Romance by John McCoy (1896)

Arqtiq by Anna Adolph (1899)

Dear god, I think I've stumbled down a rabbit warren

Douglas Duane by Edgar Fawcett (1888)

Solarion by Edgar Fawcett (1889)

The Angel of Revolution by George Griffith (1893)

Olga Romanoff by George Griffith (1894)

TheGhost of Guy Thyrle by Edgar Fawcett (1895)

The Incubated Girl by Fred T. Jane (1896)

To Venus in Five Seconds by Fred T. Jane (1897)

The Violet Flame by Fred T. Jane (1899)

epic thread  :cool4:

There is some non modern fantasy in Tales before Tolkein, a collection of fantasy writing 

E. H. Knatchbull-Hugessen, Frank R. Stockton, Austin Tappen Wright some authors not mentioned in this thread 

I just added several items from that collection.  Thank you. 

Archived