Football XXXVIII: Wenger v The Special One

MercenaryChef

That was not fun. It's hilarious how little we use Monreal and Alexis on the left. It's been pretty pedestrian.

Doesn't help that Alexis and Ramsey both spend 90% of their time central instead of hugging the line to give us some width.

Doesn't help that Alexis and Ramsey both spend 90% of their time central instead of hugging the line to give us some width.

This isn't really a problem if your fullbacks are getting forward. Lots of teams play like that as standard these days, after all. They're not, today - it's one of the downsides of Monreal over Gibbs but the threat of Swansea's wingers is having an effect on both sides.

This isn't really a problem if your fullbacks are getting forward. Lots of teams play like that as standard these days, after all. They're not, today - it's one of the downsides of Monreal over Gibbs but the threat of Swansea's wingers is having an effect on both sides.

I don't know. Monreal has been pretty active in the attack all season.

I don't know. Monreal has been pretty active in the attack all season.

He's been solid, he picks the right pass and move and stuff, but I think Gibbs is better at it. In part because he's much faster, and thus more confident in breaking forward and still being able to get back to cover a threatening winger. Which makes a difference in games like today.

Eta: on the other hand, of course, Gibbs' confidence doesn't always translate into actual solidity and there's a reason Monreal has the manager's trust.

Archived