Where can I learn the Old Tounge?

Ygritte Starkatheon

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Old Gaelic, perhaps... but honestly, I've never understood the fascination of learning a fictional language.Klingon, Quenya((As much fun as I had watching/reading Lord of the Rings)), Al Bhed ((As much fun as I've had playing FF10...the grinding to full.... grating)). Is it just for the feeling of immersion into a world you've come to love?

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/15/2016 at 9:31 PM, Ser Warren Royce said:

Old Gaelic, perhaps... but honestly, I've never understood the fascination of learning a fictional language.Klingon, Quenya((As much fun as I had watching/reading Lord of the Rings)), Al Bhed ((As much fun as I've had playing FF10...the grinding to full.... grating)). Is it just for the feeling of immersion into a world you've come to love?

More like the extreme nerdgasm.He/she should learn an language which could help him in the real world!Why waste your time with this languages,which will never help you except having fun with other fans of GoT,when you could for example learn german or spanish or the mandarin chinese OR SOMETHING!Not trying to dictate what people should do and learn,but wasting your energy on a fictional world will get you nowhere.

• 4 weeks later...
On 09/04/2016 at 7:56 PM, ȘâcâL said:

More like the extreme nerdgasm.He/she should learn an language which could help him in the real world!Why waste your time with this languages,which will never help you except having fun with other fans of GoT,when you could for example learn german or spanish or the mandarin chinese OR SOMETHING!Not trying to dictate what people should do and learn,but wasting your energy on a fictional world will get you nowhere.

Mate, everyone on this forum is 'wasting their energy on a fictional world'. This person's just taking it to a higher level than most of us!

1 hour ago, Maester of Valyria said:

Mate, everyone on this forum is 'wasting their energy on a fictional world'. This person's just taking it to a higher level than most of us!

That is true,but taking it to that kind of ”higher level” is ridiculous if you ask me.The languages in Asoiaf are not even that fleshed out to be learned.

21 hours ago, ȘâcâL said:

That is true,but taking it to that kind of ”higher level” is ridiculous if you ask me.The languages in Asoiaf are not even that fleshed out to be learned.

If it keeps them happy, then what's the harm in it? Some people learn new languages very easily. And I suppose you could try to learn the show's Dothraki?

• 8 months later...
On 3/16/2016 at 1:31 PM, Ser Warren Royce said:

Yes. 

Archived