[BOOK SPOILERS] Scenes you wish you could rewrite

Season 4, Sansa to lords declarant. "Littlefinger murdered my Aunt so that he could control the Eyrie in Robert's name and try and marry me for my claim to Winterfell. Please protect me from him and the Lannisters."

Yeah, I'd rather the Sand Snake scene was set in some Dornish Town and we saw the shipcaptain approach the Snakes, instead of getting killed after being buried in the sand in the middle of nowhere by a tent (well, tent is a big word, sunscreen really).

Yeah, I'd rather the Sand Snake scene was set in some Dornish Town and we saw the shipcaptain approach the Snakes, instead of getting killed after being buried in the sand in the middle of nowhere by a tent (well, tent is a big word, sunscreen really).

I may be alone on this, but I didn't really have a problem with the Sand Snakes scene. The thing is...they were terrible cartoon characters in the books...it might be one of the only things the adaptation has truly followed faithfully lol.

My bigger quibble would be the Jon/Melisandre scene...while again it's "faithful" to the books in that Mel is trying to seduce him, it's over the top and blatant "Shit...we need some tits STAT."

I may be alone on this, but I didn't really have a problem with the Sand Snakes scene. The thing is...they were terrible cartoon characters in the books...it might be one of the only things the adaptation has truly followed faithfully lol.

Scene as it is, is too short to really say whether that's really still true. Nymeria and Tyene barely get a word out.

I'd rewrite the Marge/Tommen scene where she loses her temper with him. Seems out of character for sweet and subtle Marge. Then again maybe after all that sweet sucking up to Joff, Cersei, Renly, etc she's just sick of it all and is finally starting to show those thorns..

My bigger quibble would be the Jon/Melisandre scene...while again it's "faithful" to the books in that Mel is trying to seduce him, it's over the top and blatant "Shit...we need some tits STAT."

Yeah they were cartoon-ish in the books, but the whole point was that other characters like Doran, Arianne and Ellaria recognised just how dramatic and over-the-top they were.

In the books they were radicals who wanted war, but they all had different ideas rather than being a group of henchmen willing to take orders... Obara wanted to sack Old Town; Lady Nym wanted to have Tywin, Jaime, Cersei and Tommen killed as retribution for the deaths of Oberyn, Elia and her children; and Tyene wanted to crown Myrcella and bring the Lannisters and Tyrells to Dorne, where their armies would be vulnerable. Not to mention that Sarella adds a lot of complexity to the Sand Snakes, with her calmer demeanour and mysterious plan at the Citadel.

Most importantly, the Sand Snakes are only a very small part of the story being told in Dorne. Ultimately, the story is about family, and hinges on the relationship between Doran and Arianne. Without Arianne, there's no one to balance the Sand Snakes. Now they look like a representation of Dorne, rather than being extremists who parallel other radicals in AFfC and ADwD.

The Harpies vs. Unsullied. That was a horridly written scene. The Harpy fighting strategy made zero sense and the whole scene did no justice to Barristan and Grey Worm or left a feeling of epicness in the viewer. It was just poor.

I'd re-write the fight scene between the Unsullied and the SOTH and the Unsullied would have kicked more butt. Very disappointing to see so many of them killed so easily.

My initial reaction was similar but after thinking about it, it makes sense that they wouldn't be as effective in that particular setting. Their weapon of choice is a longspear which is tough to wield in a closed quarters environment. Though highly trained, they're better suited to guard the gates of Meereen as a unit with a wall to their back instead of fighting multiple enemies in hand to hand, closed quarters combat. That same group out in the open with a wall to their back in an established formation, they go to town on the SotH, no doubt... but in that scene, their conditions were unfavorable at best IMO

Archived