What did you think of A Feast for Crows?

cteresa

First read, I thought it was trash. I was not feeling the Ironborn, hated Brienne's story so much mostly because it prevented me from getting to my Lannister chapters. However, after reading Dance, I really enjoyed it partly because in my mind the story really fit together. The subtle hints of other characters actions; Arianne comes to mind when she vaguely alludes to Quentyn and his quest, and knowing where the story is going really gives you those "ah ha" moments when you go back through. Also really awesome now is the Ironborn, particularly Euron and how each of our PoV's regard him. I think if this had been one novel as originally planned, alot of the criticism lodged at these two would disappear.

• 4 months later...

It was good. None of he books were bad. But it was nothing compared to the first 3 and committed the cardinal sin of over-using cameo-type POVs like Cersei. I believe it tone down Cersei's immoral side way too much by making her do too much dumb stuff. Also, it gave us nothing on Theon or Tyrion for too long a timeframe.

Could've been shorter and less boring; Brienne chapters were tough to read at times. Also it continued the highly annoying "I shall tease you with tidbits of an epic story, only to toss it in the bin" theme George Martin started towards the end of ASOS and continued to some extent in ADWD.

It was a necessary book, meant as glue to hold the series together I guess and focussed less on advancing the storyline but more on individual journeys of characters.

• 5 months later...

I am one of the minority who liked AFFK. First, I actually like the Ironborn storyline. Second, AFFK was essential in that it portrayed the aftermath of warfare. Too often in TV and books, we read about armys fighting each other. No one stops to think how the armies get their provisions, what happens to the land they devastate. I particuarly liked the small details, like losing the knowledge of a skilled blacksmith, the general devastation of the land, refugees, etc. To me, this book really make ASOIAF "real" in a way that many books of this genre do not. I liked reading how Cersie decended into madness once she got what she wanted. Of all the books, AFFk is the most "human" and "true to form" in my opinion,

AFFC: still good, but not *THAT* good anymore.

I liked it, I just didn't enjoy it as much as the earlier books. I didn't even miss the other POV's that much, as ADWD was already on my bookshelf and I knew they were waiting for me. Fine, the pacing was slower. That's no reason to completely hate the book. It was a necessary evil, war is not adrenaline day after day after day, certainly not when the fighting's mostly done.

I liked AFFC the first time I read it mainly because it was a look into different areas of westeros as well as the free cities, but during that first read it felt like the first few chapters were a prologue or epilogue in the sense that I didn't exactly know who the story was being told by and what was going on especially the Prophet and the Captain of the Guards chapter.......Im in a reread project right now and I've just finished GOT, ACOK, & ASOS.....im very excited to read AFFC again because I feel like i know the lands and people of westeros much better

I really liked the chance to view Dorne, not so much the Iron Isles, but they provided enough of a good plot to stop me from reading altogether. It wouldn't be my favorite book, but I think that it served it's purpose well enough. The names that GRRM replace with titles at the beginning were really refreshing because I finally got to seeing more of how the person viewed themselves, but that was more evident in ADWD than AFFC.

AFFC is my least favorite book in the series. I liked Darkstar. Maybe a little of Jamie's chapters just because I'm interested in the Blackfish and if Robb has a child,the whole real Mrs. Robb and her hip size thing.

But overall very weak compared to the other books. On a 10 points is perfect scale, I would rate ASOS as a 10. AGOT as an 8, ADWD as a 7, ACOK as a 6.5, and AFFC as a 5.

Archived