What did you think of A Feast for Crows?

cteresa

Some of the best chapters and flash blacks so far in the series. Dorne was fabulous, all I imagined it would be (I really want to give Doran a Hug because of the sea of pain that is his psyche).

I once again found myself on the Pro-Jaime side, despite my best efforts - Training with one hand with a man with no tongue, Refusing Cersei, and confronting Lancel! (Bring on Moon Boy) Ironborn chapters were..... well ironborn and very reaver-ish. The small council was hilarious, Cersei surrounding herself with lackwits and bastards just to spite the Reach, I found it great!

Doran's plan that has had so many interruptuons, finally showing some wind. I got the same feeling from his chapter as I did from Ned's tower of Joy dream. Once again (as others have pointed out) Arthur Dayne speaks nothing but memorable and poignant lines in our visions of him.

I missed Dany and Jon, both because they are the people I believe in to carry on their kin's lifeblood (Jon for Eddard and Dany for Rhaegar).

Sam's journey to Maestarship has started roughly, possible metaphor for his struggle while at the Citadel? At the end of the last Same chapter, when the FM says "Im Pate, Like the Pig Boy", I think I might have kissed my book :kiss:

All in all, I loved the book, reread it, and fell in love with it again. It was no AGOT, but GRRM did not dissapoint!

The feast is over, George let us Dance already! :(

The First time I read AFfC, I thought, "what the hell?", but then I realized(or had some one break it down for me like I was a Short Bus rider, but whatever) that AGoT builds up, ACoK builds up further, and then ACoK comes around, peaks, and knocks it all down. AFfC is just trying to pick up the pieces. And yes, it is only half a book, lets see what ADWD has to offer.

I don't know if I should comment because I have never finished the book...so my impression may improve...The Wake was extremely boring and the early stuff in Dorne was less than thrilling...Brienne on the road sucks...she is best when she has someone to fight and show her enormous strength...

I am only at the point where Brienne throws Tyrion's Squire in the mud...long way to slog yet, hope for improvement...

Let me preface my remarks by saying that the following observations on Feast are based upon my current re-read of the first three novels.

First, I was not one who was bothered by cliff-hangers. This difference between the fourth and first three novels has been noted here by others on the board. It seems to me that the Sansa/Alayne, Samwell, Iron Islands, Jaime, and Dorne chapters served to move their PoVs into book 6, while the others did not. Arya is a different matter, since she will be featured in book 5. The Brienne cliff-hanger was reminscent of the end of book 2 - once again, we do not know if Cat has gone and killed someone of great importance.

Second, I was not bothered by the lack of a "big event" or the slower pace. This books focused more on themes, from my point of view. Theme 1: The remergence of the Faith of the Seven as a power to be reckoned with. Theme 2: The increasing number of westerners (Westeros and Free City inhabitants) aware of the existance of Dany. Theme 3: The horrors of war and its aftermath.

Third, there war a distinct difference in the narrative structure of book 4. To my recollection, no single chapter started mid-action or after the after the action. There were very few flashbacks. Most chapters had a linear structure that ran from beginning to end. While we did meet a lot of new characters and get to see some face-to-face for the first time, most action in the chapters were confined to the end. The preview Dany chapter also followed this pattern, familiarizing us with her court at Meereen, but confining the defining moment of the chapter to end, with no major action up to that point. Those of you brave enough to check out the ADwD spoilers: Are the other chapters like this? No specifics, please.

The Brienne chapters: Great to see the end of the Mummers. With Arya gone, there was no better character to take them out. The scene with Nimble Dick and the Whispers was creepy. Up to that point I was bored with Brienne. Loved Septon Merribald and his philosophizing.

Ironborn chapters: After re-reading 1-3, I knew all that I needed to know right up to the Kingsmoot. You could have fastforwarded it a bit for me here, George.

Dorne: All I got from this was more revelations with regards to theme 2. Will the comming rift between Dorne and the Lannisters really matter once Dany shows up - don't think so.

Sansa: Okay... That's all I have. Have to wait to here more about the North to see what will come of LF's scheming.

Cersei: Hated her, hate her more. Aurane Waters and Lord Qyburn were good to see. Now not only to we have to worry about whether or not George is giving us all or some of the picture, we have no idea whether or not his messengers are full of shit. If somebody tells somebodyelse they had porridge for breakfast, I am going to worry about whether or not they had bacon with the Tyrells or coffee with Stannis. More confused than ever, and if all of these crazy Tyrell conspiracy theories pan out, I will be amazed that George was able to to write book 4 by only barely touching on the the REAL story of book 4!

Samwell: Felt weird not having Samwell in the North. Could have fastforwarded from Braavos to Oldtown, if you asked me, but some of you probably liked that bit about the mast.

Jaime: Good stuff all around.

Arya: Also good, really liked the background on Valyria and the FM.

I think that's about it. I liked it. Not as much as 1-3, but I did enjoy the lack of magic. The magic in book 3 felt funny, I thought.

• 3 weeks later...

I swear I used to have an account here, but I'll be damned if I can remember my login details. Oh well ...

Only just finished AFfC. I know, hard to believe, it could take me so long, but for various reasons, didn't start it until late Januray, and read the last half of the book in the last week.

I totally agree with those posters that suggested the book picked up pace as it went. I suspect that was because we became accustomed to the slower pace of the narrative - or at least the lack of battles that were prevalent through ASoS - and allowed ourselves to be swept up in the intrigue.

In many ways this reminded me of the set-up before the big pay-off. Though I know with the next book, that set-up may well continue.

So, in all, greatly enjoyed it. AFfC was a worthy, if inferior, successor to the brilliance of the first three novels. Here's hoping George doesn't rush to wrap it all up inside the six books he was originally planning. I can't see how everything will be adequately finished off in two books if the next was originally supposed to be a part of AFfC.

So, in all, greatly enjoyed it. AFfC was a worthy, if inferior, successor to the brilliance of the first three novels. Here's hoping George doesn't rush to wrap it all up inside the six books he was originally planning. I can't see how everything will be adequately finished off in two books if the next was originally supposed to be a part of AFfC.

Well inferior is what I thought, but in comparision only with the other three books. I thought ASOS by far the best of the series and this one right after that was .. well not filling.

About the other point I am thinking it is 7books if GRRM seriously tries. Otherwise we are looking at more that 7.

I was thinking about that. AFfC is #4 and #5, ADwD, is going to cover the same time period. So #6 (where, it is said though I don't remember by whom, all the main PoVs will be reunited) should be entirely set in Westeros... right? And #7 is the wrap-up, if GRRM stays on track. So would the battle against the Others take place in #6 or #7?

I liked AFfC, but it definitely has more "meander" to it than the earlier books. Which I don't object to in principle, but at least give me a decent frickin' map to follow along! I still have no idea where most of the places Brienne & co visited are.

I was so excited to get the book, I dived straight in as soon as I got home after the signing (at Nottingham, England). I must confess I was a little surprised to find so many new POV's and I did get a little confused by all the Iron Island POV's. However, once I settled in the pages flew and I had soon finished! I loved the latest book, some may say it was uneventful but I would have to disagree, I think GRRM has 'set the table' for the events to come in book 6..

I did miss some of my favourite characters most notably Tyrion and Jon Snow but, I was more than happy with Arya's tale and of course, Cersei's (gasp!!). I think my main gripe was the influx of new POV's whos existence I was unaware of before their introduction in AFFC.

All in all I thoroughly enjoyed the latest installment and am already checking GRRM's website for news on ADWD; where will this obsession end....!

• 3 months later...
I was pretty disappointed by the book, and I think the split-book approach was a lose-lose proposition.

My biggest gripe is the extremely short narrative arc. I felt like we spent hundreds of pages waiting for Arys to buy the farm - the whole Dorne plot felt highly disjointed. That, and I'm not a Brienne fan at all.

Also, I was really irritated by the titles of the POVs. They felt contrived, and I liked it better when he just used names. Not a major point, but still, it was a constant irritant.

Love your name, wish I had thought of it.

After one reading, I am going back though, slowly re-reading. I did not like the retitled POVs. But I like Brienne. I fear her face will be so terrible with the bitten cheeks that she will be more self-concious, if that is possible.

So this is my posting on setting out on AFfC. I;m not thrilled.

• 11 months later...

I've read a lot of people's hatred for AFfC. I'm fairly new to the series. I've only read it through once and I started that probably sometime in September. I really liked AFfC on my first re-read.

I'm on my second re-read of the series now, about 3/4 of the way through ACoK and I can't wait to get back to AFfC.

I think a lot of people's problem with it is that they started the series so long ago and I could see why the book could have been a let down when you waited for years for it. The same thing happened to me with Wheel of Time. When I started that series, there were already 10 books out and I ended up liking all the books everyone hated.

Or I could just be a weirdo.

• 1 year later...

Probably my least favourite of the series so far, but I still really enjoyed it.

I loved reading about Catelyn, Robb, Varys, Tyrion and Jon in the other books, so I was a bit dissappointed when they weren't in AFFC, but I guess in the grand scheme of things it is better for the series.

I've only read it once, so I probably need to go over it again to properly understand the finer points of the Cersei-Qyburn-Olenna-Taena-Margaery deal, which I found a bit confusing the first time over,

My favourite chapers were without doubt the Ironborn ones, especially The Reaver. It really struck me as a very emotive chapter, where I really felt a sense of sadness for Victarion having to deal with Euron as a brother and all of the stuff that he had done. Hopefully Euron will get owned by the Redwynes or something and Victarion take over the Seastone Chair.

It was good, not terribly exciting but good. my major disappoinment was the lack of most of my favourite characters (Jon and Tyrion mostly)

Plus - Jaime, the Reaver, Cersei

Minus - everyone else in the Ironborn chapters, Brienne (except for the parts hinting at the hound). Sansa

borderline - Sams chapters, Ayra's were ok

• 1 year later...

I thought it was awesome and that everyone should quit complaing about the POV they wanted.

People should think of AFFC and ADWD as one book so really we just read half a book and the second is coming our way late 2006-early 2007. Then you can rate the book. seperately you might not them but together you might think both books collectively are as great as ASOS.

Oh my....

• 5 months later...

I loved it, but it wasn't as great as ASoS was because a lot of characters in which I was emotionally invested were absent, it was like a new AGoT really, in that it set up future events and gave more depth to Westeros, I truly enjoyed it, and people should realise it's pretty much impossible to have a climax in every single book.

• 1 month later...

Great book, but slightly weaker than the previous books.

For me the Cersei chapters were the chapters I kept looking forward to. The intrigues at the Court and her dealings with the Kettlebacks and others, her supreme arrogance and selfconfidence combined with her lack of forethought, wisdom and people skills was fascinating. And that great moment, the turning point when the Hight Septon simply says "no" was the greatest moment in the book. And I couldn't help but laughing at our sweet Cersei being stripped naked and thrown in a cell like a common peasant. Sweet justic for sweet Cersei. :owned:

I loved the Arya chapters in the previous books as she has had probably the most dramatic journey and we see the horrors of the war from her POV, but Brienne has taken over much of that function in AFFC. Brienne lacks Araya's feistiness, spunkiness and funny lines, but I still like Brienne's chapters.

For me the most boring chapters were definitely the ones dealing with the Ironborn brothers. Maybe because too much of it felt too removed from the rest of the book, and I was impatient to learn more about the characters I already knew and cared about? And I really couldn't feel any sympathy for the brothers.

And Tyrion and Jon Snow were definitely missed.

• 1 month later...

Oh my....

"Oh my" Indeed!

In several years we'll most likely be laughing at ourselves for saying "Oh, it will come this year, when the show premieres, GRRM wouldn't miss such a marketing opportunity". (Just joking :))

As for my opinion on AFFC, I rather liked it, the Ironborn chapters were particularly interesting to me (love Aeron chapters, and the mysterious relationship Euron seems to have with the rest of the family).

I also loved the Cersei chapters.

But as someone here said already, It's only half a book. It's a shame though, that we only get the other half 7 years later (If the gods smile on us).

• 3 weeks later...

Archived