Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D: To Kill a Mockingbird

Greywolf2375

1 hour ago, Dr. Pepper said:

I feel like I missed something relevant.  It seemed like they were saying that Lash's reason for existing was to save Daisy.  But, um, that can't be right, can it?  That would be so....stupid.  

I, too, choose to believe that that's the characters projecting. In the comics there are times when Terrigenesis seems to produce results that are almost tailor-made for the current situation (e.g. when the Inhumans are fighting a massive interstellar war it produces a lot of Triton-like aquatic Inhumans who have an easier time adapting to zero-g environments) but it's not this specific.

Overall I'd prefer it though if we got to see an actual Inhuman society, instead of Lincoln occasionally parcelling out information about what his group used to believe.

3 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

I feel like I missed something relevant.  It seemed like they were saying that Lash's reason for existing was to save Daisy.  But, um, that can't be right, can it?  That would be so....stupid.  

I interpreted it as Lash existed to destroy Hive. Sort of like an Inhuman philosophy which dictates that all Inhumans have a purpose. Like bees need to exist or the planet is screwed...I'm sure there's a better comparison, but one escapes me. When Lash appeared, he was driven to kill other Inhumans. At that point, it seemed counterproductive to be driven to kill your own kind. However, Lash ended up being the best way to kill Hive -- or at least destroy his influence on other Inhumans. I'm still confused about his restraint, though...I guess he finally became self-aware enough to know he shouldn't kill Daisy, only help?

This kind of shows that May and Coulson may have screwed up.  While Garland was switching back and forth between his human self and Lash, the Lash persona  was out of control and acting on instinct to destroy other inhumans and couldn't be reasoned with, but the new merged Lash turns out to be pretty reasonable, differentiating between Daisy an enslaved inhuman minion who he frees and Hive, who he attacks.   

Did Shield ever try talk to Lash after Gardner was completely absorbed into his inhuman form?  Or just assumed he was now completely the Lash persona they dealt with earlier?   He could have been their door man checking inhumans as they came back from missions for Hive influence.

Man, if they kill off Mac, I'm going to be pissed. Also, if they end up killing off the black character ever season (last season it was Trip, now it's looking like it's gonna be Mac), they're gonna set a bad precedent.

3 hours ago, GrimTuesday said:

Man, if they kill off Mac, I'm going to be pissed. Also, if they end up killing off the black character ever season (last season it was Trip, now it's looking like it's gonna be Mac), they're gonna set a bad precedent.

I think the fact that they showed Mack with the necklace this episode makes him more likely to survive.

1 hour ago, HokieStone said:

Well, the Bobbi/Hunter spinoff series was officially cancelled before it even began.  So maybe they'll figure out some way to work those characters back into the main show. 

I'm guessing that Adrianne Palicki isn't too hyped about playing second banana in a poorly rated TV show at this point in her career, but that's just me speculating.

17 hours ago, lacuna said:

I'm guessing that Adrianne Palicki isn't too hyped about playing second banana in a poorly rated TV show at this point in her career, but that's just me speculating.

she might not want to, but any work is better than none - bit parts in Robot Chicken are probably fun, but not really paying too well.

20 hours ago, HokieStone said:

Well, the Bobbi/Hunter spinoff series was officially cancelled before it even began.  So maybe they'll figure out some way to work those characters back into the main show. 

I'm sure it will be just as riveting as how they were worked out of the show.

18 hours ago, lacuna said:

It's one of ABC's most highly rated shows, though. After the bloodbath which just happened, it's about the only show ABC is still airing at this point. Adrianne may be worthy of headlining her own show, but actors need to take work where they can find it. There are a lot of actresses who can say they could headline, but nothing is promised in the world of TV.

On 5/11/2016 at 6:55 PM, Leofric said:

This kind of shows that May and Coulson may have screwed up.  While Garland was switching back and forth between his human self and Lash, the Lash persona  was out of control and acting on instinct to destroy other inhumans and couldn't be reasoned with, but the new merged Lash turns out to be pretty reasonable, differentiating between Daisy an enslaved inhuman minion who he frees and Hive, who he attacks.   

Did Shield ever try talk to Lash after Gardner was completely absorbed into his inhuman form?  Or just assumed he was now completely the Lash persona they dealt with earlier?   He could have been their door man checking inhumans as they came back from missions for Hive influence.

I wouldn't read too much into that.  For their plot they wanted Daisy back, hence, Lash saves her without killing Hive since that would have been too easy.

I'm wondering if they told the writers when Civil War was happening, but didn't show them a script so they had to just read the comic. Because it's clearly the Registration Accords they were dealing with here, not the Sokovia Accords. Bringing the Inhumans under the control of the UN never came up, and registering people in the movie never did. Otherwise Spider-Man couldn't have fought on Tony's side without registering, and he clearly won't be registered in Homecoming.

After seeing Captain America:Civil War, I'm even more disappointed in how disjointed this supposedly shared universe is.  They've outright said that the Avengers are only pulled out for the "big stuff", and yet at the beginning of Civil War (minor spoiler for CA:CW)...

Spoiler

The Avengers are chasing down regular-human Crossbones, who, along with his regular-human goons are trying steal some sort of biological weapon.  I mean, I know that having some sort of biological weapon in the hands of a terrorist isn't good...but....

...meanwhile on Agents of Shield, they're dealing with some sort of super-Inhuman who was banished to another world for centuries...he can kill people and take over their bodies, and mind-control other Inhumans.  Not to mention the Kree hitmen arriving on Earth (as goofy as that was).

Really...what seems like an Avengers-level threat here, and what seems like the thing regular human agents should be chasing down?

The Marvel U was always going to be disjointed. I think it's naive to have ever expected some streamlined universe, where Daredevil and Daisy Johnson would seamlessly weave their way in and out of Captain America and Thor movies. The comic genre in and of itself has never been truly "shared," in the sense that the Fantastic Four could be battling Doc Doom in a ravaged Times Square, and that very same month, Peter Parker is walking through Times Square on a date with MJ. We never cared while reading it. We knew how this comic stuff worked.

The point of this shared universe, in my mind, was never going to be some ultra-planned, ultra-meticulous and calculated long-form story arc, spanning TV and film. There was always going to be disconnect. The cool factor was always going to be knowing all of these people "know" one another, even if we were never going to see them interact. It seems like, with each passing show/movie, we get the same critiques..."Where's Thor? Where's Nick Fury? What was Daredevil doing during this battle?" We're in Phase 3 -- we know how this all works.

AoS got moved to 10 PM next season. Of course, the execs are spinning it the right way -- it gives them the chance to take more "risks" due to the later time slot. While that may be true, this could be the beginning of the end. ABC probably doesn't want to spend the money on these Marvel shows, hence canceling Carter and passing on Most Wanted. It's the whole reason Supergirl got moved from CBS. These big networks don't want to invest in shows that cost more money than their sitcoms and don't bring in as high ratings. Kind of sad, as I think this pretty much makes it seem as if ABC has no intention of trying any other Marvel shows -- Marvel TV might only be Netflix for the foreseeable future.

Finale tonight, I thought, was a nice recovery after some lackluster episodes. Lincoln was the obvious choice to die, but regardless of how predictable it was, I thought all the actors involved gave some pretty good performances. While I can see how some would say it was cheese, I dug it. We'll see what they decide to do next season and if this 10 PM move will truly mean more experimental storytelling.

I agree with several of the previous posters.... This show would be a ton better if it was more grounded.... introducing Daisy/Quake was fine (especially since prior to the change arc she was among the worst characters on tv).... but foiling Hydra plots without the inhuman angle --IMO-- would make for a better and much more plausible show

• 2 months later...

Archived