Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D: To Kill a Mockingbird

Greywolf2375

37 minutes ago, Martini Sigil said:

Does anyone know if Bobbi & Hunter are coming back to the cast?... their spin-off got kaboshed, So I'm thinking they could... I loved having Mockingbird on the show...

Only if they don't bring back Hunter...Guy's a drag...

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Kindly Old Man said:

Well I enjoyed that episode. I don't really know anything about ghost rider, but he seems cool. Looks like this season could be strong to quite strong. Does anyone know what that ghost thing in the box is?

There's not much to know about that Ghost Rider - he has about 6 issues of comic to his name. I guess there's a trade out if you really want to swat up on him. Knowing the bike versions of Ghost Rider is probably a hindrance to the Reyes one.

Stream of consciousness watching it:

Is lacy underwear the usual choice for vigilantes? And what's with all the eyeliner?

Flame effects look noticeably tv budgety, but much better than they could have been.

Nice shoehorning of that Sokovia dialogue, that doesn't stand out at all.

S.A.D.I.S.T.  W.I.M.P. :lol:

Ah, Scottish people watching football.

That whole scene with Aida, Radcliffe, and Fitz was great.

Was it actually that apparent that they ripped each other apart? Surely the initial assumption is that someone else did?

When you need to look for a suped up car, just find the nearest Latino (Hispanic? Is one meant to be offensive?) man. Although in all seriousness it's quite nice to see that side of LA.

Oh look Ultron, 'HEY GUYS! REMEMBER WE'RE IN THE SAME UNIVERSE!'

Ghost Rider looks pretty good actually, also appears in full earlier than I expected.

Not sure I'm buying Quake being that cut up about the things she's done.

Oh god it's psycho kid from Fear the Walking Dead.

All in all, a fairly laying the groundwork episode. The Ghost woman in the box seems like at best a monster of the week. But Ghost Rider is obviously set to develop, LMD's will go forward (but more bloody secrets :bang:) And the team dynamic has changed, with the much talked about Director still a mystery.

It was funny in places, there were actually a couple out loud giggles.

I liked it, but didn't love it.

Man, they didn't waste any time getting Ghost Rider into the main plot....

I don't mind the TV budget cranium flame... because I understand that TV 10 hours of TV has a fraction of the budget of a 2 hour movie... I'll use my imagination

I kind of liked May running the Strike team a la Rumalo .... I'd like to get to know these potential bad asses, especially since the show is called "Agents of Shield"

I love that Batiatus is a regular... it's a shanda that they killed off Lucy Lawless... a scene with the two of them would have been nerd gold

... and I agree with @The BlackBear ... the movie references seem forced. One would have been fine.

5 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

I meant to mention this earlier but couldn't find the right name, The new Director isn't Stark, they cast Jason O'Mara a little ways back.

I see. My hopes and dreams are now dashed. :P But I would still hope he plays a comic book character, and not a character invented by the show.

Me not like it. Me not like it AT ALL :D

This was like some poor exercise in how close they can get to Hell Kitchen's coolness... Now, that they have been pushed in God forsaken timeslot, they tried to be edgier and still be Disney... Cute.. But, not gonna work. Simply, we have seen the vigilante thing being done to the death by Netflix in both seasons of Daredevil, so this is just jumping a bandwagon a bit too late. 

Yeah, we are still in the same Universe is a bummer. Especially since they publicly acknowledged that they are basically NOT. But, they like to remind us they are still relevant. 

4 hours ago, Corvinus said:

I see. My hopes and dreams are now dashed. :P But I would still hope he plays a comic book character, and not a character invented by the show.

I was hoping for at least one of the MCU ladies coming back - Maria Hill or Shannon Carter. That would have been a good way of continuing with this charade of them sharing the Universe.

3 hours ago, Risto said:

That would have been a good way of continuing with this charade of them sharing the Universe.

It seems SHIELD is pretty much up and running again as a fully fledged organisation and not just Coulson and his buds. Seeing as Samuel L Jackson's primary role in AoU was hooking them up with the helicarrier, I'll be interested to see if he's gonna be in Infinity War or Avengers 4. He's about the only thing linking them at the moment.

It is funny how much they're dining out on the Sokovia Accords, when there wasn't a single mention in Civil War of anything other than the Avengers being under UN jurisdiction, not a peep about registration. They clearly didn't get to see the script but just assumed it'd be the comic version.

I liked the premiere. ::shrug:: Feels like so many are taking on this elitist POV, where nothing is worthy unless it's acknowledged by the movies. Not saying anyone in here, specifically, is like that -- just speaking in general. Every critique of this show is rooted in whether or not it's validated by the films.

Yes, the movies aren't paying attention to the show. Yes, the shows ARE paying attention to the movies. That was always going to be the case, though. The movies take years to produce. The movies don't know where the show is going to be two seasons from now, or even if the show will exist two years from now. It will always be easier for the show to riff off the films, because the shows are produced within a month or so of airing. Doctor Strange is coming out in November. SHIELD just started production -- we'll get a tie-in episode, no doubt. We won't get any Coulson mentions in Doc Strange. It's how this will work. I honestly don't know why people continue to pick at this. It's always how the show was sold. It would be a way for the MCU fanatics to get their fix between films. The shows are a supplement to the movies.

I also really liked the premiere and couldn't care less about how the movies and show connect.  I've just never expected that they would because that's the nature of tv vs film.  So I guess it helps to enjoy it when I'm not imagining that the show is going to be deeply involved with what happened in the films.  

I've never heard of Ghost Rider and it looks like a fun plot and interesting character.  I'm really eager to see where this haunted ghost thing goes with May, though I hope they don't drag it out all season and I hope she doesn't end up being the villain.  

I probably need to watch a bit of a recap of last season because I forgot the reasons why Daisy was on her own or why Coulson is no longer director or who the director even is (and I guess that's a mystery anyway?).  But looking forward to another season of ridiculous comic book logic and plot.  

8 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

I also really liked the premiere and couldn't care less about how the movies and show connect.  I've just never expected that they would because that's the nature of tv vs film.  So I guess it helps to enjoy it when I'm not imagining that the show is going to be deeply involved with what happened in the films.  

I've never heard of Ghost Rider and it looks like a fun plot and interesting character.  I'm really eager to see where this haunted ghost thing goes with May, though I hope they don't drag it out all season and I hope she doesn't end up being the villain.  

I probably need to watch a bit of a recap of last season because I forgot the reasons why Daisy was on her own or why Coulson is no longer director or who the director even is (and I guess that's a mystery anyway?).  But looking forward to another season of ridiculous comic book logic and plot.  

You've never seen the Nicholas Cage movies?

On 9/21/2016 at 0:45 PM, The BlackBear said:

Not sure I'm buying Quake being that cut up about the things she's done.

Didn't you see her the season 3 finale? She obviously was/is. I would have really hated it if the show just brushed off any emotional consequences and trauma just to have characters be one-dimensionally badass.

I liked the episode, but one thing that made me roll my eyes was how the team were all so pissed off at the new Director and the fact that they were being regulated and monitored. Um, guys, you're a spy organization with weapons and resources making decisions that affect the whole world, of course you need to be regulated, rather than left to run around, make decisions based on personal feelings, pursue your own vendettas, fuck things up, and answer to nobody, as they've mostly been doing for the past couple of season.  And sure, the WIMP joke was funny, but are they really acting like the Director's point is not perfectly valid and true - remember when SHIELD turned out to have been totally overrun by Hydra agents from its beginning?(And isn't it kind of hilarious how the team gets infiltrated and/or betrayed every season and they never see it coming?) Now, it's not surprising that they think that their little makeshift family unit is the most important thing there is and how dare anyone mess with their cute team dynamics, but these people really seem to forget who they are and what at their jobs are and have a totally myopic worldview.

Which is not a problem if I'm not supposed to agree with them. I hope they don't make the new Director a bad guy or an idiot, just to make Coulson look like the best possible leader, which he definitely is not.

On 9/22/2016 at 7:34 PM, Risto said:

Me not like it. Me not like it AT ALL :D

This was like some poor exercise in how close they can get to Hell Kitchen's coolness... Now, that they have been pushed in God forsaken timeslot, they tried to be edgier and still be Disney... Cute.. But, not gonna work. Simply, we have seen the vigilante thing being done to the death by Netflix in both seasons of Daredevil, so this is just jumping a bandwagon a bit too late. 

Yes, because clearly Daredevil the TV show invented vigilantism. It's never been done before, and it was suddenly so new and original. It's not like a large number of comic book characters and action film characters over so many decades have been vigilantes. By that logic, everybody should have stopped doing that theme decades ago.

I was hoping for at least one of the MCU ladies coming back - Maria Hill or Shannon Carter. That would have been a good way of continuing with this charade of them sharing the Universe.

I really couldn't care less. I like the show by itself and I want it to focus on its own characters and arcs, not bring some random MCU characters for a cameo. The interconnectiveness worked wonderfully in season 1 with the Hydra infiltration plot - but that was the only time it did. (Not counting Peggy Carter's cameo. It's always good to see Peggy.) Any other time they try to make a tie-in with the movies, it just felt redundant and like they're going through the motions. I'd prefer them to focus on their own characters and storylines, rather than randomly bring up movie stuff. The show should just stand on its own.

And Sharon Carter is less interesting and developed as a character than the majority of characters on AoS, anyway. Plus she's CIA now, not SHIELD, so there's even less reason to bring her. Maria Hill is not SHIELD either, she working for Tony Stark. I'd much rather see another Peggy Carter flashback.

Archived