Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D: To Kill a Mockingbird

Greywolf2375

3 hours ago, Jon AS said:

Probably, yes. The show just has a lousy track record when it comes to this.

Plus the bad guys are still way too bigoted to make counter arguments that come across as truly compelling.

This is what makes me unsure whether or not we are supposed to be questioning their methods.  They kept focusing on Fitz giving Daisy the stink eye when she was doing questionable shit, but then they'd have these people be the absolute worst.  Typically, it wouldn't matter.  Torture is torture, but in comic show world where Barry is treated like a hero despite being the absolute worst piece of shit ever, it's hard to tell how I'm supposed to see that.  Fitz maybe was giving the stink eye because he has gas or diarrhea or something.

I appreciated the very barebones way changing the future was handled in tonight's episode -- you can't. After some of the convoluted crap Legends and Flash have pulled, it was refreshing to see Fitz break it down. I just can't bring myself to care about the Lash arc, though. I think because I don't like how they've chosen to adapt the character. I found him more compelling in the comics.

27 minutes ago, Martini Sigil said:

..... at least the President didn't make an appearance tonight.... but do these writers actually think that a company can transfer ownership with one signature? 

To be fair, it's not the first time that any show or movie has done this, and it won't be the last. Besides, they basically hijacked the building. The rest may have come later, if SHIELD hadn't intervened.

6 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

Were those just regular company goons? Because if so, I think a writer just watched the Matrix, what with Neo's coat and killing a whole bunch of presumably innocent guys in a security room

Well Malick bought the company, that means the company's employees are fair game now.

Not sure I like immutable fate any better than whatever the fuck The Flash is doing, but I have to admit that as backwards as it was, Fitz' explanation was much better than 99% of the technobabble on that show.

I don't find myself siding with Coulson much, but I agree that not having seen The Terminator is a good enough reason to kick someone off the team. Of course with Lincoln you don't really need any additional reasons.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6 April 2016 at 9:28 PM, Jon AS said:

Not sure I like immutable fate any better than whatever the fuck The Flash is doing, but I have to admit that as backwards as it was, Fitz' explanation was much better than 99% of the technobabble on that show.

I'm a week behind, haven't seen this weeks....

Not a fan of immutable fate either. It's just impossible to think that of everyone that guy ever touched, not once did a Fitz/Simmons equivalent ever say "you know what? Fuck it. Let's not hold hands". Unless you start getting into Final Destination territory where destiny actively intervenes which would be pretty stupid. Does Marvel have any time travelers? It seems like 'you can't change the future' is yet another schism with the movies waiting to happen. Dr Strange ever dabble in any precognition?

Fitz' actual analogy was OK, but FUCK if I'm not sick to death of bullshit timeline explanations.....who is possibly watching this show that hasn't seen 50 other shows that have done similar things? And on EVERY one since forever some poor actor gets lumbered with the dialogue, and another gets lumbered with the 'duuuhhhhh I don't get it' part. It was Cisco and Joe a matter of weeks ago. Head of SHIELD can't follow a few sentences that we all just followed for the fiftieth time. Aside from which, even if Fitz was the worlds leading authority on relativistic physics, there's no way he'd claim to know a thing about changing the future when he literally just discovered the possibility a few minutes ago. Where does quantum uncertainty fit in to his rock solid assertion that you can't change the future? Fuck knows, cos nobody knows, including Fitz.

It's really difficult to picture an Inhumans movie now that doesn't tread all over everything AoS is doing. With already bare minimum interaction between film and tv, is there anyway of giving the Inhumans a backstory in the movie that doesn't conflict with all of this? Inhumans is proving to be AoS's entire arc at the moment.

^ I think you're reading way too much into that scene, as I didn't interpret it as Fitz claiming to know any facts about changing the timeline. He was giving his theory. Given the fact that he participated in the rest of the team's subsequent attempts to change the actions which would lead to the events Daisy witnessed, he was willing to accept the fact that his theory could be wrong. And just because we've seen this same story play out 50 times, doesn't mean Coulson watches the same shows we do. He's the director of SHIELD, not a scientist.

Marvel can do an Inhumans movie without having to worry about AoS baggage. The Inhumans Marvel wants to showcase are the ones living in the blue area of the Moon. Little correlation between those Inhumans and these, who are culturally human. Unless Marvel decides Inhumans aren't created via Terrigenesis, there's really nothing the show can do to conflict with the movie. Any inconsistencies can be chalked up as the difference between growing up among humans and growing up in Attilan. And, honestly, the Inhumans movie is so far down the pipeline, they can just as easily change their mind about even doing one.

I thought last night's episode was good. I've been lukewarm on the show since it returned. It's still better than any Berlanti shows, but it kind of leveled off. Even though I knew the turned Inhuman wouldn't be Lincoln (Obvious bait and switch) and that it would be Daisy (Least likely choice is always the most likely), they handled it relatively well. I like the Clue-inspired part of the episode, where all the pointing fingers was happening.

So I am like 5 episodes behind.  Just watched when Bobby and Hunter had to leave SCHIELD.  The explanation made no fucking sense at all.  Maybe I missed something.

However, I really liked the scene in the bar at the end.

8 hours ago, wolverine said:

So I am like 5 episodes behind.  Just watched when Bobby and Hunter had to leave SCHIELD.  The explanation made no fucking sense at all.  Maybe I missed something.

They had to leave so they could headline their own show, duh! :P The problem with creating a team that breaks all rules of the world all the time, is that it's almost impossible to make you believe when they try and stick to some (especially when they are arbitrary and handwaved rules.)

I'm still struggling with this show, as it's had it's ups and downs.  Right now, though, the big thing for me is the disconnect from the MCU movies.  I understand that when they started the show, it was supposed to center around "smaller" issues, things that the Avengers wouldn't bother with, for example.  But the whole influx of Inhumans, and the arrival of Hive from an alien world seems to be just as "big" an issue as Ultron and his robots.  So, the fact that Iron Man, Capt America and the rest wouldn't be alerted to this new crisis really stretches believability.  

It will be interesting to see if Civil War has any effects on the show...though I guess they may wrap up the season soon...they might push off any repercussions until next season.

Kind of preferred Hellfire with the chain, but blowing shit up's still kind of cool.

Still trying to get my bearings on whether I like Hive.

As for calling in the Avengers, just let it go. Malekith tried to end the universe, Thor didn't mention it to anyone else.

I haven't sent this weeks and won't get a chance before I see Civil War; I assume there's no mention of anything related to the movie? I doubt it as its not released in the US till next week, and.......well I just doubt it generally. I'd take a throwaway line about why the Sokovia accords don't apply to the team, the Inhumans on the team anyway. Is that too much to ask?

Not yet. They might mention it next week, but my guess is it'll get a very slight tie in the week after that as it's still not out in the states yet.

Besides officially SHIELD doesn't exist so breaking the Accords (whatever they are) is the least of their worries.

Archived