Cycling 2015 - froomes turn to try to double up!

BigFatCoward

I have a vague dislike of Froome and I hope that Quintana and others can give him a run for his money, but my dislike is grounded in just wanting to see a good contest. For the same reason I hoped Nibali would run into trouble last year and it never happened. This year now I'm hoping Nibali can get back in there but I doubt it.

Froome just looks so strong. At no point has an attack on him looked like succeeding and I don't think he's made a mistake (or at least not one that's resulted in a poor outcome). He seems in complete control.

Nibali shaved off some time yesterday but he is too far back now.

I dont see Froome losing this year unless he runs into a catastrophe on the mountains. Seems like Quintana and Tejay are just waiting for him to make a mistake but I dont see that happening. I'd really like to see a tour where it comes down to the last couple of stages but I think Sky is too strong this year.

Thomas' accident was scary, i think Barguil just got too loose on the descent and pretty much almost killed Thomas. Some of the sections on that descent at the end were crazy. At one point there was a barn or home that was 3 or 4 feet away from the road on an outside curve. I could only imagine what would happen if anyone missed their line or had a mechanical issue near that area. I love watching the descents when they are grouped together like that but I find that my hands get covered in sweat.  Impressive but crazy.

People have blown bigger leads. Especially with 4 tough days to come. But it seems unlikely given froomes current form and the strength of the team. Quintana took proper time out of him in third week in 2013, but I dont know how hard he was really trying. And I cant see him hunger knocking again.

Quintana does not seem as dangerous this year. It could just be that in 2013 no one had high expectations like they do now. With less pressure he could just do his thing. His attacks have been kind of weak compared to Nibali and Contador. Even though Nibali has cracked on a couple of stages at least he has been willing to take some risks. Quntana seems to only have heartly attack and Porte and Froome have easily reeled him back in.

I think the jury is still out on Quintana. It may be that his not as good as he was, but it certainly seems he is close to that form.

And he too could be improving as we go along.

I do see Contador and Nibali had a bit more punch to their escape attempts yesterday. Heard today though that Contador has admitted he feels far more tired due to having done the Giro first, which we all sort of knew I guess.

As for van Garderen, I think he will drop a few places in the next few stages.

I don't think Froome will lose his lead either, but it's entirely possible that Quintana will be stronger over the next few stages. So we could see some exciting racing at least. And i'm really hoping the Yates brothers can get in a breakaway on one of the big mountain stages.

Is anyone else paying attention to the furore over power data? It seems like a complete waste of time to me. You can't prove anything with it either way, so all it does is help people with shit stirring.

I have only heard about the power data stuff recently. To me I can really only get a sense if something shady is going on if we see some sort of crazy breakaway or epic dual on a mountain. When i look back at the youtube videos of Pantani and Armstrong those super human efforts seem pretty far removed from the attacks of today. It seems like they attack once or twice and then come back to the pack if they cant break free. I'm sure some of the riders are taking EPO or transfusions but nowhere near the level of what was going on in the past.

I know, i went back and watched some old clips last night and I saw one where Armstrong fell on a climb during the 2003 TDF because he got tangled up in a spectators bag. He fell, bent his petal, caught up to the leaders (they slowed for him) and then went on to attack the crap out of them with 9 kilometers of hill climb left. Its crazy to look back on it now how everyone could have doubted that any of them were not doping.

Yeah that was sad to watch :( Wonder what happened to Contador, rumour the commentators said at the end was he collided with Rodgers. The longer the race goes the closer Quintana and Froome look to me, but Froome just gets too much done early in the race and Quintana can't crack him.  Looks like a real respectful rivalry developing from the handshake at the end.

well that was dull, it would have been better for the race if froome and contador had switched places.  

G appears from nowhere again at the end.  beast mode. 

i really don't want valverde to podium but it looks inevitable now that moviestar are clearly riding for 2nd and 3rd.  

froome can't ride cobbles, froome can't handle cross winds, froome can't handle uphill sprints, froome can't descend.  the only one he hasn't disproven yet is froome gets weaker in the 3rd week. 

great work by nibs, redeemed his tour somewhat, hope he can take more out of valverde tomorrow but king wheelsucker will probably keep his podium spot.   the alpe is better for quintana with its gradients, but i can't see him taking what he needs to win.  poor G, broken man.  

Archived