Cycling 2015 - froomes turn to try to double up!

BigFatCoward

As much as I'm looking forward to the Vuelta battle between the big guns, part of me can't help but think that I'd liked to have seen Geraint Thomas being given a chance to lead a grand tour squad.  Apart from his 'jour sans' on stage 19, he was very impressive riding in support of Froome at the TdF. Whether he is ready to lead a GT team is I guess the question - I remember Team Sky giving Richie Porte the nod for one of the grand tours a couple of years ago (might have been the '13 Vuelta?) after he was also immense in the TdF, and he wasn't anywhere near ready to lead a team, which surprised me.

I think dropping out of the TdF might work in Teejay van Garderen's favour, providing he has fully recovered. 

Still, should be a good one.  IMO, la Vuelta is the 3rd of the 3 grand tours, and the one I am least interested in, but hey, any excuse to watch cycling is fine by me!

As much as I'm looking forward to the Vuelta battle between the big guns, part of me can't help but think that I'd liked to have seen Geraint Thomas being given a chance to lead a grand tour squad.  Apart from his 'jour sans' on stage 19, he was very impressive riding in support of Froome at the TdF. Whether he is ready to lead a GT team is I guess the question - I remember Team Sky giving Richie Porte the nod for one of the grand tours a couple of years ago (might have been the '13 Vuelta?) after he was also immense in the TdF, and he wasn't anywhere near ready to lead a team, which surprised me.

I think dropping out of the TdF might work in Teejay van Garderen's favour, providing he has fully recovered. 

Still, should be a good one.  IMO, la Vuelta is the 3rd of the 3 grand tours, and the one I am least interested in, but hey, any excuse to watch cycling is fine by me!

Well it would be too much for Thomas in my opinion.

I don't think he should even ride the Vuelta given how many days he's already raced this year.

He'll get his chances in the next few years, but don't blow yourself up now, it happens too often.

Re; van Garderen. I think he will find it very difficult to finish top 5 in Vuelta this competitive and with so many uphill finishes.

• 2 weeks later...

Team Sky lining up with Froome and Thomas after all, amazed that Thomas is once again competing, he must have more days than anyone except Valverde. Henao in the race as well.

Other than Sky, favorites would be Quintana, Valverde, Majka, van Garderen and the famous Astana trio. Maybe Rodriquez will be in the GC mix as well, he tends to be in the Vuelta.

right, nobody has lost any real time, tomorrow the big boys come out to play. perfect team sky style finish, long grind after a relatively flat stage.  if froome is in form he goes for it big time tomorrow.  

hope chavez and demoulin can hang in there tomorrow, and the two irish cousins who have looked solid.  roche benefiting from nobody believing sky will back anybody else. 

Interesting to see that Dumoulin ( not a notable climber normally) has dropped Quintana twice now in pursuit of Chaves, yesterday and on stage 2. It looks like guys such as Quintana, Aru and Landa may not be in great shape. Rodriquez looks attentive but also doesn't seem to have the fire in his legs.

Phenomenal stage today. Dumoulin and Froome were truly amazing.

Froome had some fantastic accelerations that dropped even Quintana, Aru and Valverde.

Dumoulin attacked twice and was better than Chaves. Not only is he the new leader, he even beat Froome and Rodriquez in an amazing uphill finish. Just incredible.

The GC race looks like it will be incredibly tense. There is no telling how Dumoulin will hold up as he still young and not noted at all as a climber let alone a GC rider. Chaves also is still young. But Froome, Quintana, Aru, Majka and the two vetersas Rodriquez and Valverde are going to be there all the way. However unlike the Tour, this one has a longer TT still to come, which favours Froome ( and possibly Dumoulin if he actually stays in the race).

Only managed to catch the stage from saturday night i think it was where sagan got taken down by the moto and looked like he was going to punch the crap out of anything that got close to him

They fined him 300 CHF for that, as "menacing behaviour".

bad times for froome, that crash looks like it really took more out of him than i thought.  really don't want aru to win, he has such an ugly gurny face when he climbs.  demoulin can still win this, worst stage for him, and he should annihilate aru in the TT.

bad times for froome, that crash looks like it really took more out of him than i thought.  really don't want aru to win, he has such an ugly gurny face when he climbs.  demoulin can still win this, worst stage for him, and he should annihilate aru in the TT.

I think today's stage showed that trying to do a Tour-Vuelta double is only possible if all the GC riders have also done the Tour.

Massive time trial from Tom Dumoulin today, proving his mega talent status.

Rodriquez concedes over 3 minutes, Majka also gets blow away.

Surprising performances from Valverde and Quintana in the shadow Dumoulin's work, very good.

3 seconds between Dumoulin at #1 and Fabio Aru at #2. Rodriquez at #3 at 1:15. The rest is gone and can forget the podium.

Archived