GRRM is planning a new surprise plot twist - what could it be?

"In one intriguing new wrinkle, Martin says he just came up with a big, revealing twist on a long-time character that he never previously considered. “This is going to drive your readers crazy,” he teases, “but I love it. I’m still weighing whether to go that direction or not. It’s a great twist. It’s easy to do things that are shocking or unexpected, but they have to grow out of characters. They have to grow out of situations. Otherwise, it’s just being shocking for being shocking. But this is something that seems very organic and natural, and I could see how it would happen. And with the various three, four characters involved… it all makes sense. But it’s nothing I’ve ever thought of before. And it’s nothing they can do in the show, because the show has already—on this particular character—made a couple decisions that will preclude it, where in my case I have not made those decisions.”"

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/04/03/george-rr-martin-winds-date

Any guesses what the big twist will be? We should be able to narrow it down based on what we know:

1. It's a twist that he has NOT planned since the beginning, so if it looks like the twist was being set up in the books already, that's not it.

2. The twist is "very organic and natural" and GRRM says he can see how it would happen. It has to be something that fits with the path of the characters involved.

3. The new twist involves 3 or 4 characters.

4. The new twist could not happen on the show because the show has made changes to the character involved that preclude it. Therefore we know it involves a character who has been presented differently in the show from the books in a way that makes the theory not work.

So, does anyone have any guesses? I'm drawing a blank, I thought at first he might go with Jon and Meera are twins, but I can't think of any changes to either character in the show that would preclude that and the casting makes that seem MORE likely. What characters are changed the most between the book and the show?

Any guesses what the big twist will be? We should be able to narrow it down based on what we know:

1. It's a twist that he has NOT planned since the beginning, so if it looks like the twist was being set up in the books already, that's not it.

2. The twist is "very organic and natural" and GRRM says he can see how it would happen. It has to be something that fits with the path of the characters involved.

3. The new twist involves 3 or 4 characters.

4. The new twist could not happen on the show because the show has made changes to the character involved that preclude it. Therefore we know it involves a character who has been presented differently in the show from the books in a way that makes the theory not work.

So, does anyone have any guesses? I'm drawing a blank, I thought at first he might go with Jon and Meera are twins, but I can't think of any changes to either character in the show that would preclude that and the casting makes that seem MORE likely. What characters are changed the most between the book and the show?

There's really no way to guess it actually, it could be anyone.

1, 2 - Contradictory points. You're saying it's not set up in the books yet fits organically with the current novels...

3 - Doesn't narrow it down at all. Maybe you're assuming these 3-4 characters must be geographically close to each other? But that's just not true - they could become closer to each other later on in the books or simply each do their parts where they are, hundreds of miles away.

4. The show has made some degree of changes to every single character. Doesn't narrow it down at all.

Mmm, there's been a lot of changes from books to show, but some are bigger and prevent certain storylines. Either because they are dead, because they haven't or won't appear in the show, or drastically changed or ommited, we can narrow the list: Jojen, Arienne, Jeyne Westerling, Jeyne Poole (as fArya), Aegon VI, Jon Connigton, Illyrio, the Tattered Prince, Strong Belwas, Barristan Selmy, Mace, J'quen, Stonheart, etc.

My guesses:

Jeyne Westerling is pregnant. It involves Robb, the Blackfish, Jeyne and maybe Stoneheart and the BWB. It changes the whole North-ruler landscape and its has been left as a possibility, but we were left under the idea that Jeyne's mother made her abort. So its a twist. Maybe not very organic.

Strong Belwas ends up as the ruler of Meereen. He re-gains Dany's trust and is the one in charge to cement the anti-salvery rule in Slaver Bay, after Dany left towards Westeros. It involves Dany, Belwas, Tyron, Jorah and maybe Barristan, Daario, and the whole Meereenese court. It changes the way Dany treat former enemies, but is very weak. The only thing organic is that Dany has to put someone in charge when she leaves for Westeros and it has to be someone she can trust will not bring back salvery. Maybe is Tyron. Maybe he never come back to Westeros and is instead the Vicerroy Imp. That's a twist. Well, maybe more crackpot.

At this moment in time it is almost impossible to guess what the twist will be. However, it's always fun to guess what it MAY be. I'm thinking it might have something to do with the events surrounding Slaver's Bay. GRRM said "with the various three, four characters involved" and mentioned a long-time character. He doesn't specify three or four, so I'm thinking that the three may be Tyrion, Barristan and Victarion. Those three, as seen in the final chapters of ADwD, are all POV characters in the same place. And the fourth character could be Daenerys, indicating that she may or may not return to Slaver's Bay. All these characters are long-time (Victarion was seen in ACoK, however briefly). Again, this is just a guess. GRRM has announced this pretty late into his writing, so it mightn't have to do with a situation the characters are currently in; it might have something to do in a totally new situation.

My first instinct was Theon marrying someone since the shows castration seemed a pretty drastic departure from the books.

Possibly even a betrothal between Theon and Shireen so Stannis can get a fleet

Jeyne Westerling, against all odds, is pregnant with Robb Stark's son and heir. YES!

I think these two are the most interesting ideas presented so far, as both would seem in-character and also create a great deal of stuff to go on in the books. But we'll have to see how it develops!

It has to be a character who exists both in the show and in the novels, so it can't be a character the show cuts. The show has changed the Meereen plot, while expanding the northern plot. The KL situation is fundamentally unchanged--Cersei is still making mistakes, the Faith still goes fundie, Jaime is still out of town--so my sense is that it's something involving Meereen. Could also involve Theon's penis.

Archived