[Poll] How would you rate episode 505

Ran

How would you rate episode 505?  

558 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I agree. And however Arianne were to have introduced in TV, if it were to be even an iota different than in the books (and that means her travelling to King's Landing with Oberyn and having scenes with Sansa and Cersei), there would have been a very vocal group of people screaming murder and character assassination and "it's clear David and Dan haven't read the books".

I mean all of this COULD have theoretically been done. The question is - would it have made the show better or would it merely have succeed to only make it 'different'? My best bet is on the latter.

Well said!

And even in the books, Arianne has done nothing significant yet (except a failed crowning attempt). Yet, some people here are screaming "WHAT, WHERE IS ARIANNE? David and Dan haven't read the books!!". Obviously, D&D know the books better than some people here...

Edited by The Eunuch

The point that they can't have 500 characters as a reason for not casting Arianne is moot given they have cast three Sand Snakes.

I'm willing to wait until we've seen more of Dorne before passing judgement but it doesn't look positive. Unless it improves it looks like they haven't replaced Arianne with anything interesting.

The idea of having Arianne accompany Oberyn to KL seems a pretty good one to me.

The point that they can't have 500 characters as a reason for not casting Arianne is moot given they have cast three Sand Snakes.

They have cast three Sand Snakes out of 8 in the books, so... It's clearly reducing the number of characters and it makes sense.

My guess for the Dorne arc is :

- The Sand Snakes will try to kill Myrcella but they will fail (to Areo Hotah and/or Jaime)

- They will be arrested with Ellaria

- They will confront Doran and tell him he's weak, and he will reveal his plan : to marry Trystan to Myrcella and then crown them (because Myrcella is the older child of Cersei, not Tommen, and you know the Dornish law about female succession).

If my guess is correct, then the show doesn't need Arianne nor Aegon, and yet their narrative purposes remain in the series (female crowning + Martell back up plan to win the Iron Throne and avenge Oberyn + a new person on the Iron Throne).

Edited by The Eunuch

They have cast three Sand Snakes out of 8 in the books, so... It's clearly reducing the number of characters and it makes sense.

My guess for the Dorne arc is :

- The Sand Snakes will try to kill Myrcella but they will fail (to Areo Hotah and/or Jaime)

- They will be arrested with Ellaria

- They will confront Doran and tell him he's weak, and he will reveal his plan : to marry Trystan to Myrcella and then crown them (because Myrcella is the older child of Cersei, not Tommen, and you know the Dornish law about female succession).

If my guess is correct, then the show doesn't need Arianne nor Aegon, and yet their narrative purposes remain in the series (female crowning + Martell back up plan to win the Iron Throne and avenge Oberyn + a new person on the Iron Throne).

Clearly missing my point. That's three undeveloped side characters instead of the person through whose eyes we see the Dornish side of things in the books.

If it turns out that all three sand snakes are necessary and they're more interesting than they appeared on their one appearance so far then fair enough. As I said, I'm willing to wait before passing judgement fully.

6. I liked it a little better than the previous 2 episodes (I reduced my vote for episode #4 from a 5 to a 3 when it was revealed that Barristan was dead.) I didn't hate any of the book deviations this time (the continued Grey Worm/Missandei romance was the worst of them). It seemed a little lacking all in all. I really missed King's Landing and to a lesser extent, Dorne. I did like the Tyrion/Jorah scene once Drogon and the Stone Men turned up. In general I find Winterfell interesting. The scenes felt slightly off, my favourite of those being the last one between Roose and Ramsay - again it probably helped that like the Stone Men scene, it was largely from the books.

• 3 weeks later...