2016/17 TV Upfronts/Pilots/New Series

AncalagonTheBlack

BBC One’s three-part Agatha Christie adaptation 'And Then There Were None' will premiere on Boxing Day (Saturday December 26th) at 9pm

First published in 1939, And Then There Were None has gone on to sell more than 100 million copies and tells the story of ten strangers who are invited to Soldier Island, an isolated rock near the Devon coast. Cut off from the mainland, with their generous hosts Mr and Mrs U.N. Owen mysteriously absent, they are each accused of a terrible crime. When one of the party dies suddenly they realise they may be harbouring a murderer among their number.

The cast is being led by Poldark star Aidan Turner and also includes Miranda Richardson (Mapp & Lucia), Charles Dance (Game Of Thrones), Douglas Booth (The Riot Club), Maeve Dermody (Beautiful Kate), Burn Gorman (Torchwood), Anna Maxwell Martin (The Bletchley Circle), Sam Neill (The Tudors), Toby Stephens (Black Sails) and Noah Taylor (Peaky Blinders)

ITV’s one-off supernatural drama Harry Price: Ghost Hunter will premiere on Sunday December 27th at 8:30pm

Based on Neil Spring’s novel The Ghost Hunters, Harry Price: Ghost Hunter is set in 1920s London at a time of rapidly emerging technology and follows Britain’s most famous real life ghost hunter and sceptic who investigated tales of the paranormal and supernatural. Described as a mix of fiction and real history, the two hour film sees Harry investigating the haunting of a local MP’s home.

Rafe Spall (The Shadow Line, Sons Of Liberty) leads the cast as Harry Price. Other cast members include Cara Theobald (Downton Abbey) as Sarah Grey, a member of Harry’s team who assists him in his paranormal investigations; Richie Campbell (DCI Banks) as Albert Ogoro, Harry’s friend; Lewis Reeves (Uncle) as journalist Vernon Wall; Tom Ward (The Frankenstein Chronicles) as MP Edward Goodwin and Zoe Boyle (Sons Of Anarchy) as Edward’s wife, Grace.

ITV’s new Peter Pan drama Peter & Wendy will premiere on Boxing Day (Saturday December 26th) at 8pm

A modern re-telling of the classic novel, Peter & Wendy opens in modern day Great Ormond Street Hospital where twelve-year-old Lucy Rose is awaiting treatment for a serious heart condition. Her mother Julie is distraught with the fear of losing her child, and surgeon Mr Wylie assures her he’ll do everything in his power to make the operation a success. The day before her operation, Lucy reads J.M. Barrie’s novel of Peter Pan to a crowd of sick children in the hospital, and she goes to sleep with thoughts of the classic tale in her head. Lucy dreams this version of Peter Pan into existence and the story is retold through the young girl’s imagination.

The all-star cast lined up for the new adaptation includes Paloma Faith (Blandings), Stanley Tucci (Fortitude), Laura Fraser (Breaking Bad), Hazel Doupe (Jack Taylor), newcomer Zac Sutcliffe, Bjarne Henriksen (The Killing), Ben Crompton (Game of Thrones) and Rasmus Hardiker (Your Highness). The one-off drama will feature both well known and all new characters, while some cast members will be pulling double duty – playing both “real world” characters from Great Ormond Street Hospital AND characters from Neverland.

I tried to start a thread on the upcoming show, "The Outsiders"... it's *not* about the book, or the Ralph Machio movie... But it looks like it has potential... hopefully WGN will improve on Salem

IMDB--  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4816626/

Trailer looks kinda cool --  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7K0ecPen2c

Have you tried Manhattan?  It's so much better than Salem.  That was the longest trailer I've seen for this new show, and I'm very interested, I liked the short trailers, but that one looked really good.  I like David Morse, so seeing him as a crazy mountain man looks awesome.

Have you tried Manhattan?  It's so much better than Salem.  That was the longest trailer I've seen for this new show, and I'm very interested, I liked the short trailers, but that one looked really good.  I like David Morse, so seeing him as a crazy mountain man looks awesome.

I have not seen Manhattan... but I'll put it on the binge list ... thank you, good sir.

• 1 month later...

V.E. Schwab’s 'A Darker Shade of Magic' is Being Adapted for Television!

Gerard Butler and Alan Siegel’s G-BASE productions has acquired rights to V.E. Schwab’s fantasy novel A Darker Shade Of Magic for series development. Butler, Siegel and Danielle Robinson will produce with Schwab writing the pilot. The project is being eyed as a limited series.

Schwab shared the exciting news on Twitter, after sitting on it for over half a year. Working with producer Danielle Robinson, they’re designing a season-long arc of ten or twelve episodes, along the lines of Daredevil or Game of Thrones. She also made sure to assuage fans’ fears about Red London, Grey London, White London, and Black London translating from page to small screen:

Seriously. I am here b/c you are here. I get to keep writing b/c you keep reading. I get to try new things b/c you believe in me.

— Victoria Schwab (@veschwab) February 3, 2016

I know readers have bothhope and fear when it comes to adaptation, so let me say: A DARKER SHADE OF MAGIC will be done right, or not at all.

I can say that because my producer and I have been aligned on that at every. single. stage.

Also, the fact we have the opportunity to adapt the ADSOM for TV, where we can fully explore the worlds and stories, makes my heart sing.

But most of all:

No matter what happens, I am just clinging to the idea of this pilot getting cast so I can take a photo with Kell and Rhy and Lila.

The book has been on my TBR pile for quite sometime now,might finally get around to reading it.

10 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

V.E. Schwab’s 'A Darker Shade of Magic' is Being Adapted for Television!

The book has been on my TBR pile for quite sometime now,might finally get around to reading it.

Nice! It wasn't outstanding but it was entertaining enough and I'm sufficiently invested to continue with book 2 later this month. There are a few weak points, mostly the antagonists, but I think it will work quite well as an adaptation though, especially Red London.

• 3 weeks later...

German author Volker Kutscher nets record-budget TV series: Babylon Berlin. ARD and Sky announce two seasons directed by 'Run, Lola Run' Director Tom Tykwer

Tom Tykwer's upcoming 1920s crime series Babylon Berlin will start shooting in April, producers said in Berlin on Wednesday.

The show will premiere on Sky Deutschland, part of pan-European pay TV giant Sky, in 2017 and on German public broadcaster ARD in 2018.

The first castmembers were also announced on Wednesday. Volker Bruch (The Reader) will play the lead character, while Liv Lisa Fries (The Wave) will play his lover.

Sky is co-financing the series, which got a 16-episode order for two seasons and is budgeted at $45 million (40 million euros), with ARD. Just over half the budget comes from the partners, with the rest financed through international sales, which Beta Film is handling.

Babylon Berlin will be the first-ever German production from Sky Deutschland as the German arm of Sky is taking a page from the playbook of Sky in the U.K. and Sky Italia by betting on high-end original local drama.

Babylon Berlin is based on the best-selling novel Der Nasse Fisch (The Wet Fish) by German writer Volker Kutscher, the first of his Gereon Rath novels. Set in 1920s Berlin, they follow police detective Rath, who is transferred to Berlin and tries to solve crimes in a city torn by social and political upheaval in the years leading up to Adolf Hitler's rise to power.

The series was co-written and will be co-directed by Tykwer, Hendrik Handloegten and Achim von Borries.

• 2 weeks later...

WGN America Gives Pilot Orders To ‘Roadside Picnic’ Strugatsky Bros. Drama,and ‘Scalped’ DC Comics Adaptation

WGN America has handed pilot orders to two dramas: alien saga Roadside Picnic, based on the Strugatsky Brothers’ novel, and Scalped, based on the DC Comics graphic novel, which will feature a predominantly Native American cast.

Roadside Picnican adaptation of one of the most famous novels of top Soviet/Russian science fiction writers Arkady and Boris Strugatsky, was written by Transcendence scribe Jack Paglen, with Terminator Genisys and Game of Thrones helmer Alan Taylor attached to direct and Neal Moritz producing.

Scalped was written by Doug Jung (Banshee) based on the graphic novel series written by Jason Aaron and illustrated by R.M. Guéra.

Scalped is a modern-day crime story set in the world of a Native American Indian reservation, and explores power, loyalty, and spirituality in a community led by the ambitious Chief Lincoln Red Crow, as he reckons with Dashiell Bad Horse who has returned home after years away from the reservation. The Native American casting will be a first in recent history for a television series.

• 2 weeks later...

Cary Fukunaga To Direct ‘Maniac’,Emma Stone & Jonah Hill To Star

Emma Stone and Jonah Hill are finalizing deals to star and Cary Fukunaga to direct Maniac, a blockbuster half-hour series package from Paramount TV and Anonymous Content, sources say.

The dark comedy is based on the 2014 Norwegian series about a guy who lives a fantasy life in his dreams but in reality is locked up at an institution. Hill and Stone will both play patients in the institution. I hear the project will be seeking a straight-to-series order, possibly for two seasons, with Fukunaga likely directing all episodes. Search is underway for a writer.

Maniac - Norwegian trailer with english subs

Drew Barrymore & Timothy Olyphant To Star In ‘Santa Clarita Diet’: Netflix Series

Santa Clarita Diet, a comedy series from creator Victor Fresco, is a go at Netflix with Drew Barrymore and Timothy Olyphant set to star and executive produce. The single-camera show, from Aaron Kaplan’s Kapital Entertainment and Tracy Katsky’s Kapital-based KatCo, is set for 2017 debut on the Internet TV network. Netflix is producing.

In Santa Clarita Diet, Joel (Olyphant) and Sheila (Barrymore) are husband and wife realtors leading vaguely discontented lives in the L.A. suburb of Santa Clarita, until Sheila goes through a dramatic change sending both their lives down a road of death and destruction…but in a good way.

• 2 weeks later...

HBO Orders ‘Sharp Objects’ Drama Series

EXCLUSIVE: In a very competitive situation, Sharp Objects, the high-profile drama series project starring Amy Adams that was taken out by Entertainment One and Blumhouse in February, has landed at HBO with an eight-episode straight-to-series first season order. Based on the book by Gone Girl author Gillian Flynn, Sharp Objects has UnReal co-creator Marti Noxon as showrunner, Wild helmer Jean-Marc Vallée as director, and Flynn as a writer alongside Noxon. I hear there was strong interest in the project, with Netflix going aggressively after it.

Noxon wrote the pilot script based on the book and will serve as showrunner and writer. Flynn is set to write multiple episodes. Vallée will direct all episodes, just as he did on HBO’s upcoming limited series Big Little Lies starring Nicole Kidman and Reese Witherspoon. He also will co-edit Sharp Objects.

• 1 month later...

‘Purity’ Limited Series Starring Daniel Craig Gets 20-Episode Order By Showtime

After months of negotiations and deal-making, Showtime has closed a deal for a 20-episode order to Purity, a limited drama series toplined by James Bond star Daniel Craig and produced by Todd Field and Scott Rudin.

The project, based on the book of the same name by author Jonathan Franzen, hit the cable and streaming marketplace in February, with Showtime emerging as an early frontrunner based on an aggressive offer. Field will direct all 20 hours of the limited series, which he will co-write with Franzen and David Hare (The Hours, The Reader). Craig, Field, Rudin, Franzen, Hare and EIi Bush executive produce. Purity will begin production in 2017 and will air in two installments over the course of two years.

The book, published last September, centers on Pip, a young American woman who does not know who she is, and Andreas Wolf, a charismatic German provocateur, who will be played by Craig. He heads a South America-based organization that traffics in all the secrets of the world where Pip gets an internship  in search of her identity.

This marks the third high-profile upcoming limited series for Showtime, joining David Lynch’s Twin Peaks followup and John Ridley’s Guerrilla co-starring Idris Elba.

Amazon Orders 5 Pilots from Guillermo del Toro, Amy Sherman-Palladino & Others

EXCLUSIVE: We’ve learned that Amazon has picked up five new pilots. We hear they are drama Carnival Row, from the Pacific Rim duo of Guillermo del Toro & Travis Beacham and Star Trek alum Rene Echeverria; dramedy The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel from Gilmore Girls creator Amy-Sherman Palladino; drama Strange New Things, from writer Matt Charman (Bridge of Spies) and director Kevin MacDonald; real-life superhero comedy The Legend of Master Legend, from writers Micah Fitzerman-Blue & Noah Harpster and pre-revolutionary Cuba drama Tropicana, from writers Josh Goldin & Rachel Abramowitz and producer Andrea Simon.

• 3 weeks later...

Sarah Gadon to Star in Netflix's Margaret Atwood Drama 'Alias Grace'

Halfire Entertainment, CBC and Netflix announced that production will begin on Alias Grace, a six-hour miniseries inspired by the historical true story of convicted murderer Grace Marks and based on the award-winning novel by Margaret Atwood.

The miniseries is being written and produced by Sarah Polley (Looking for Alaska, Take this Waltz, Away from Her) and will be directed by Mary Harron (American Psycho, I Shot Andy Warhol), with production scheduled to begin in Ontario in August 2016. Alias Grace will be broadcast in Canada on CBC and will stream everywhere globally on Netflix.

Sarah Gadon is going from Hulu to Netflix.The Canadian actress has been tapped to topline Netflix's Margaret Atwood drama Alias Grace, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.Gadon, who most recently co-starred opposite James Franco in Hulu's Stephen King limited series 11.22.63, will play Grace Marks in the streaming giant and Canadian broadcaster CBC's adaptation of Atwood's award-winning novel.

Archived