NHL 2015-16 - Because we still don't need a new thread!

Jabronius Maximus

Nasty. He went on to pick up an assist too. 

In other news, the Oilers score 5 goals in a game, and lose 3-2. 3 own goals in one period. Sounds about right. 

How in the ever-loving hell?  That's either some seriously bad defending deflection or I think I'm about to swear off complaining about puck luck forever, because it could always go the way of the Oilers'.  Sprong went back pretty soon after Johnston left, iirc, and I think some of it was that Sullivan wanted to bring some of his WBS players up too.  And Cullen's on the center line because the Pens have literally no left wingers.  Rights and centers, we've got, but the left is a rotation of basically whoever the coach puts on there.  It was Hornqvist on Malkin's left that's worked...best, I guess.  

e:  I wonder what the Pens can get for Perron or Kunitz.  

How in the ever-loving hell?  That's either some seriously bad defending deflection or I think I'm about to swear off complaining about puck luck forever, because it could always go the way of the Oilers'.  

It's the Oilers, no further explanation necessary. But in all seriousness, 1 was just a deflection off a point shot, and on the other 2 Hall and Nurse were in good positions, but suffered from bad bounces. Hall's was especially bad, because he beat his man to intercept the pass, but ended up deflecting it into his own net. 

What happened to Perron? Is he just snakebit? Because I doubt he'd have much value fight now. 

What happened to Perron? Is he just snakebit? Because I doubt he'd have much value fight now. 

He's like a slightly less shitty Neal with no goal production whatsoever.  He takes really dumb penalties, doesn't draw penalties, and doesn't really do much goal-wise.  His tantrum in the last game against the Hawks was especially noticeable.  

Well Hagelin and his iffy contract are on their way to the Pens now, and Perron is out. Wonder if Hags will live up to that $4mil/year. 

And Klefbom reportedly has a staph infection, possibly putting him out long term. There's no such thing as luck for the Oilers. Guess the historical levels of greatness by Gretzky can only be balanced by historical levels of mediocrity that we're currently seeing. 

So, Wideman's hit on the linesman. See link. 

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/gotta-see-it-wideman-plows-into-referee-after-scary-hit/

Throw the book at him? He seems concussed or at least not entirely with it and it looks to me like he was a guy trying to get to the bench and knocked the linesman out of the way like he was an obstacle in his path. I don't think he really knew what he was doing. But I didn't see the game and this is the first clip I've seen that included the hit *he* took before his hit on the linesman. 

3 hours ago, kairparavel said:

So, Wideman's hit on the linesman. See link. 

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/gotta-see-it-wideman-plows-into-referee-after-scary-hit/

Throw the book at him? He seems concussed or at least not entirely with it and it looks to me like he was a guy trying to get to the bench and knocked the linesman out of the way like he was an obstacle in his path. I don't think he really knew what he was doing. But I didn't see the game and this is the first clip I've seen that included the hit *he* took before his hit on the linesman. 

We see that completely differently.

I think the mandatory is 20 games, 

So knowing the way the NHL works,  he'll probably get 80, and they will reduce it to 5 on appeal, but he'll have already missed 10 games by then.

21 minutes ago, kairparavel said:

You think it was deliberate /malicious with mo mitigating circumstances? I really don't know. I'm willing to believe it was the action of a confused person. 

It's really hard to say....  But he doesn't seem that out of it to me..  it's certainly possible though.

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/a-guy-like-me/

Eye opening article about John Scott's recent experience with the NHL. I didn't really care about the whole all star issue with Scott, but damn the NHL was a bunch of assholes here. What they said to him, regarding the All star nod:

Do you think this is something your kids would be proud of?

Seriously? I'm now mulling over ordering a John Scott jersey. Man the NHL fucked this one up. 

Edit: I'll order from Taiwan or something. NHL shouldn't profit from this. 

I don't think Wideman's hit was intentional, but maybe the league will throw the book at him. If it was up to me, his suspension would be 10 games.

ETA: That photo of Scott with his daughter in Sharks jerseys is wonderful.

8 hours ago, Jabronius Maximus said:

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/a-guy-like-me/

Eye opening article about John Scott's recent experience with the NHL. 

That was a pretty powerful read. And absolutely true re: that's how most enforcers are made. They are a part of the league, a part of their team with the role they play. And they deserve much better from the overseers of the league. 

16 hours ago, Biter said:

I don't think Wideman's hit was intentional, but maybe the league will throw the book at him. If it was up to me, his suspension would be 10 games.

ETA: That photo of Scott with his daughter in Sharks jerseys is wonderful.

Just out of curiosity, is this the video you saw:

Yeah. To me, it looks like he was dazed/might have suffered some form of concussion prior to hitting the ref (just like kairparavel said above), so I'm not sure he was aware of what he was doing. Still, Wideman is responsible for his actions when he's on the ice.

On 28.1.2016 at 11:17 PM, kairparavel said:

You think it was deliberate /malicious with mo mitigating circumstances? I really don't know. I'm willing to believe it was the action of a confused person. 

Watch it again, just watch Wideman's arms before he makes contact with the referee. That looks kinda deliberate to me. Touching the referee is a no-no. So I would be surprised if Wideman gets off with less than 15-20 games.

1 minute ago, Notone said:

Watch it again, just watch Wideman's arms before he makes contact with the referee. That looks kinda deliberate to me. Touching the referee is a no-no. So I would be surprised if Wideman gets off with less than 15-20 games.

I think it was deliberate in that he pushed someone out of his way to get where he was going. I don't think it was malicious and I don't think he realized who he was pushing out of the way. I guess, to me, if he doesn't take that hit on the boards he's skating by the linesman on his way to the bench and he never makes contact with him.

I would have given Wideman the benefit of the doubt, that he really just needed/wanted to go to the bench, if he had kept his stick down and just sticked out an arm to gently get by or something. But Wideman really delivered a check to the linesman. No to mention, that the linesman had his back turned to Wideman and was in no way prepared for impact.

1 minute ago, Jabronius Maximus said:

That was a surprisingly competitive ASG (yes, I watched). Seeing Bettman hand off the $1M cheque to MVP John 'Great' Scott was priceless. I can almost taste the saltiness that must've been there. 

That was great. 

Archived