Cra-Cra-Craaaaaaazy Weather!

Fragile Bird

It started to snow in the Alps. Or at least in Switzerland and France. Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow, ... 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/12078202/Snow-comes-to-Alps-but-too-late-for-thousands-of-British-holidaymakers.html

(I heard it my own national news but they do not speak English so I searched quickly some information in English. But there is some snow apparently !  :wub: Not in the place where I used to go on holiday but that is in North Tirol and lies at a much lower altitude ... I must say while I like snow, I do not like it really that much when it falls in my own country. Everything (f.e. public transport) goes to hell. But it is unnatural that there was almost no snow in the Alps, or at least according to my knowledge.)

I live in Canada's "Warmest City", Vancouver.... or at least what we call the Lower Mainland, a collection of many municipalities that we might as well call one city because that is what the world thinks of when they think of this place.

We haven't seen snow for more than a year unless you go to the mountain, and it has been shockingly warmer (the lowest being around 0 degrees mid day, and dropping below at night). This is after a summer where we didn't actually get a lot of rain.

Did my first winter solo hike in the White Mountains this week. Hiked to the summit of Mount Lafayette. Had to snowshoe in to break trail for the first three miles. Had a 6 inch snowfall the night before. Once I got about treeline the visibility dropped to less than 100 feet and wind picked up to 20 to 30mph. Lost the trail on the way up and slightly panicked while trying to find the markers. Got back on trail and made it to the summit but the experience gave me a new respect for extreme winter weather conditions. It really drove home how dangerous solo winter hiking is. Those mountains will kill you if you are not prepared.

The weather is really crazy. It was about 15 degrees (Celsius) above zero during Christma here in Warsaw. Today it's 16 degrees below zero (so more than 30 degrees difference in just a few days), but still no snow at all. I hate freezing. My dog loves freezing. 

The weather is really crazy. It was about 15 degrees (Celsius) above zero during Christma here in Warsaw. Today it's 16 degrees below zero (so more than 30 degrees difference in just a few days), but still no snow at all. I hate freezing. My dog loves freezing. 

Here in Toronto it was 17 just before Christmas, then dropped to a few degrees above zero during the day and a few below during the night.  Today it's -15 and originally the weather folks said the temperatures would pop back up to zero, but now I see they are calling for -10 all week.

My sister-in-law is in Lublin visiting her mother and we had been laughing about the fact it was so much warmer in Toronto than it was there, but karma has caught up with us.

I have some family up in Dallas and I was visiting there last week for Christmas when they had the tornado outbreak in the area.  We were all at a restaurant waiting for a table and it was fairly noisy in there.  While we were waiting for a table, everyone in the place got a notification on their phones at the same time about a possible tornado in the area.  I mean like 90% of the people in the restaurant got their phones out and looked at them at the same time.  Nobody did anything!  I was curious about the storm so I left the restaurant and went outside.  The tornado sirens were going nuts out there (you could not hear them inside over the noise), but it seemed pretty calm overall so I just observed for a few minutes and then went back inside and had dinner.  

It wasn't until we got back to the house after dinner that we found out that there actually were several tornadoes in the area and that several people had been killed by them.  It was kind of interesting that everyone in this public space knew about the tornadoes and everyone just went on with their lives, nobody got up or took shelter, the restaurant staff was still busily taking orders and bringing out food throughout.  Nobody batted an eye really.  I guess there isn't a whole lot you can do about it anyway and when you live in a tornado area you probably get so used to it that you tend to ignore it.   But, man, despite the best efforts of meteorologists the national weather service and smart phone technology, like 200 people in this restaurant were fully aware and forewarned of this situation and nobody did shit.  :lol:  Thought that was interesting.

FB, and here the say temperatures below zero will end by the end of the week, but instead it may start snowing, for the first time this winter. But for now it's still freezing (about -16 now). Just had to walk my dog out and even she seemed to decide fifteen minutes was more than enough. :)

Similar thing happened to me and some friends hiking up Ingleborough here in the UK a while back. We had torrential rain on the way up, and it was so foggy that visibility was <10m on the top so we were worried about finding the path down the other side. Not to mention that my friend had a mildly sprained ankle.

If we hadn't been prepared or experienced, we could easily have gotten lost up there, or fallen and hurt ourselves on the treacherous path down. And that wasn't even the winter. 

Definitely gave me a newfound respect for hiking in bad weather, and I sure wouldn't like to be in that situation alone. 

We see a lot of search and rescues in all seasons. Mostly due to bad weather and people not being prepared. I've been in some hairy situations in all seasons but winter hiking is pretty new to me. I'm sort of a minimalist hiker. I've always taken the approach of traveling light and fast but you really need to be aware of the weather. I am just starting to get into winter hikes and I'm changing my approach. Moving forward I'm taking my -20 sleep bag and stove with me even on longer day hikes. I feel like it is smarter to over pack and be prepared. I do a lot of solo hikes and being 6 or 8 miles out into the wilderness in extreme conditions in winter is really dangerous.

Crazy weather, indeed.  It's like an early spring day outside - in January.  But not to worry - temperatures shall dip shortly, just in time for the North American Auto Show, which is known to take place during the worst weather possible here. 

The week before New Year it was in the high 30sF. Yesterday it was mid 70s. Texas "Winters" are awesome. 

Do you guys experience a lot of sickness there?  I've found that here in Michigan, when it's warm one week and chilly the next, we get sick more often.

Just curious.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived