Cra-Cra-Craaaaaaazy Weather!

Fragile Bird

On 1/10/2016 at 4:41 PM, Hrokkan of Skagos said:

None of you could be Starks. It's -30C (-22F)here and I'm sitting in shorts with ice cream.

Well...some of us could;-)

We recently had -30F windchills - which is not really cold or even unusual for January.  What is unusual is the forecast of close to 40F for this weekend!  If that bears out that'll be some crazy weather!

Snowmageddon 2016 incoming - in my neck of the woods where we only get about 4-5 inches of snow per year, tomorrow is forecast for as much as 8. And of course, the East Coast is due to get brutally hammered this weekend by all indications. Stay safe y'all!

Yes, I'm heading out to the store today to stock up. We're supposed to get hammered pretty hard by snow/sleet/rain/freezing rain, 60mph winds. It's supposed to be 31 F here Friday night yet they are saying the warm moisture will make it be heavy rain downpours then back to snow and sleet.

3-7 inches total forecast here, but it's going to be bad all around.

1 hour ago, drawkcabi said:

Yes, I'm heading out to the store today to stock up. We're supposed to get hammered pretty hard by snow/sleet/rain/freezing rain, 60mph winds. It's supposed to be 31 F here Friday night yet they are saying the warm moisture will make it be heavy rain downpours then back to snow and sleet.

3-7 inches total forecast here, but it's going to be bad all around.

As of right now, I'm going to miss out on most of that, (only predicting about 1-3 inches here plus about 40 mph winds) but I'm keeping an eye out for changes in the forecast. Sounds like this time you guys in the Maryland, Virginia, and West Virginia strip are going to be getting the worst of it this time around. Stay safe.

I'm home now and I'm not going out again until this is over. The Governor of MD has put us in a state of emergency beginning at 7am tomorrow.

While every other forecaster has upgraded the forecast for the storm's intensity, accu weather has downgraded it slightly, maybe it won't be that bad here.

As long as I don't lose power though I'll be fine.

22 minutes ago, Hrokkan of Skagos said:

How much snow do you all usually get? Never spent a winter in America. Where I live I usually get about 2 feet or so, so it's kind of interesting to hear some worried about a few inches :P

We're going to get 2+ feet of snow over a 36 hour period this weekend. Drawkcabi is a little east/south so might not get hit so hard. But still, it's going to be ugly here. I'm in the 18-30" band.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CZQ-PQjUAAAlq7g.jpg:large

It's rare to get 2 feet over the course of the winter, generally. But we do get crazy bad storms sometimes.

16 minutes ago, kairparavel said:

We're going to get 2+ feet of snow over a 36 hour period this weekend. Drawkcabi is a little east/south so might not get hit so hard. But still, it's going to be ugly here. I'm in the 18-30" band.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CZQ-PQjUAAAlq7g.jpg:large

It's rare to get 2 feet over the course of the winter, generally. But we do get crazy bad storms sometimes.

Yeah, I used to live in Bowie and I see that's right in the heart of this thing.

We do get bad storms here at times but Winters can also be quite mild, it goes back and forth. People never seem to get used to the times when it gets bad. There are parts of America that take heavy snow in stride, no big thing, then there are the parts that panic at the sight of a single flake.

Guys, how are we all doing?

MC is stuck in DC all weekend and I'm holding down the (snow) fort at home. And we're what, halfway through this? Very blizzardy drifts out there right now. Not sure how much has fallen, but a LOT more than the half foot that was there when I fell asleep last night. Fingers crossed the winds aren't as bad as forecast (but everything else has been spot on so...)

On 1/22/2016 at 8:50 PM, Hrokkan of Skagos said:

How much snow do you all usually get? Never spent a winter in America. Where I live I usually get about 2 feet or so, so it's kind of interesting to hear some worried about a few inches :P

Over the course of a normal winter, we'll get between 2 and 4 feet. Right now, DC is projected to get 2 feet over 48 hours. NYC will get between 1 and 2 feet over about 36 hours. So, it's a major snowstorm. 

My family's mountain house gets, on average, 33 feet of snow a year -- I'm used to seeing a lot of snow. But the level of disruption between a rural area and a major city is definitely different. I'm certainly not going outside today -- gonna stay inside and drink all the gin.

24 minutes ago, kairparavel said:

MC is stuck in DC all weekend and I'm holding down the (snow) fort at home. And we're what, halfway through this? Very blizzardy drifts out there right now. Not sure how much has fallen, but a LOT more than the half foot that was there when I fell asleep last night. Fingers crossed the winds aren't as bad as forecast (but everything else has been spot on so...)

I have no idea how much snow has fallen here. Part of that is being on the 8th floor, but also because the wind has really moved it around. Some of the cars in the parking lot have no snow on them at all, but at the same time in some cases the snow on the ground is halfway up the car doors. There's definitely a lot that's fallen though. I'm only a few miles from DCA, and the official measuring there a few hours ago was 14", so there's probably been about the same here so far.

All good here right now. Shoveled out front around 9am lest we be trapped inside. Somewhere between 12 and 18 inches fallen by then, I think, and more since. Extended an offer to a coworker who lives a few doors down just in case she did get trapped inside. Currently have power, heat, plenty of food, so it's just bemusement at the rate and quantity so far. Hopefully it stays that way. Hope you are all well.

It's seriously sloppy outside here. Having a hell of a time getting one of the dogs to do her business out there. Otherwise it doesn't seem that bad, it seemed worse last night with about 5 inches of dry powdery snow, now it's all tamped down by the rain. But the day is not over and the winds are supposed to maintain and it's supposed to go down to 19F tonight so a hard freeze coming and we might end up on planet Krypton by tomorrow morning.

Yes, definitely stay safe everyone!

13 hours ago, kairparavel said:

We got more than expected here than they were predicting when I posted last, sometime late Thursday or early Friday the estimates of how much snow was going to fall just kept rising and rising. Last I saw they guessed that we would be hit with about 8-12 inches, and it spent all day coming down here. Haven't bothered to leave the house all day, just spent it watching movies and hanging out with the fiancee. As others have said, it's hard to tell how much has fallen with the wind whipping it all around, but it's a fairly considerate amount, regardless.

Hope everyone is warm, safe, and supplied.

Archived