Cra-Cra-Craaaaaaazy Weather!

Fragile Bird

On January 29, 2016 at 7:30 PM, ThinkerX said:

Why do the people on the east coast keep taking Alaska's winter?

Over here, we just started February with a day in the 50s, when I'd normally expect 20s or so. I don't know whose winter we're getting, but it sure isn't Alaska's!

It was 86F / 30C at my house on Sunday.  Yesterday was in the 80's too.  Weird.  Not complaining, but it seems unnatural for me to be able to sit outside in a lawn chair and a t-shirt in February.  

It's been cold at night a few times but I don't know if I have needed a jacket during the day more than once or twice since summer ended.

• 2 weeks later...

-9 last night. I'm on the MA/NH border. Going to warm up to mid 40's by Tuesday which will feel nice. We had some fun yesterday throwing boiling water into the air which created snow bursts.

One dead hiker so far up on the Franconia Ridge in NH. Looks like he was well prepared but ended up having a heart attack on the trail. Friends had to carry him down after he died. Tough way to go. Personally I am going to wait until it rises to 10 degrees and then I'm going running. :)

My brother and I went out to dinner Saturday night to a local bar that serves good food (we split an order of mussels cooked in a creamy, orange ginger broth and a Reuben sandwich) and the two guys sitting next to us were up from New York, attending the festivities surrounding the NBA all-star game, and were going to the skills competition that night.  We of course ended up talking about the weather.  They were a bit shocked when I told them it was the coldest night in 22 years (for that day in February).  It was -23 C, which is almost -10 F, -40 C with the wind chill, -40 F.  They had assumed since this was Canada it was always this cold.  I explained that since we're on the lake temperatures are much more moderate here.  Drive just an hour north and the temperatures are always colder, but when I got up this morning and listened to the news I heard the town I was thinking of had the coldest Valentine's Day night in their history since records starting being kept in 1879, -33.3 C, -28 F.

Right now it's -5, going up to 0.  Thursday it will dip back down to -8, but they're forecasting +6 and rain on Friday and Saturday.  Those really are unusual temperature swings.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/11/2016 at 0:22 PM, Fragile Bird said:

Ok.  It's March 12th, and it's expected a new record will be set in Toronto today when it hits 18 C, 64.4 F.

It is not supposed to be 64 F in Toronto in March ever.

And...it's snowing in Mexico.

Last night in W Mass I was outside in shorts at 1/4 of 9 at night and was completely comfortable - was still 51 degrees.  10 day forecast shows no weather cooler than 40 to finish out "winter".

Archived