Cra-Cra-Craaaaaaazy Weather!

Fragile Bird

TGU,

Again, hundred year floods happen. Now 4 "hundred year floods" in a 20 year period would be strange.

Yes. And a city up the road from my city had 2 100-year storms in 3 years, much to their distress. Having the first 100-year storm would probably have made most of the people in the town say 'crazy weather', because none of them had ever seen a 100-year storm before. They certainly said 'crazy weather' 2 years later, and didn't care that the weatherman said 'a 100-year storm doesn't mean it can only happen once in a 100 years'.

The thing about weather, Ser Scott, is that it happens every day. Whether or not you think it's crazy weather you are seeing in your community really depends on your own POV, doesn't it? Your POV seems to be 'weather happens' and nothing really is crazy weather. You're welcome to that opinion. :)

It might be helpful to re-read the OP, and the question that was asked: What is happening in your community?

FB,

I didn't say all this isn't extreme, it is, and multiple "100 year floods" in a short period of time is statistically significant. What I'm not saying is that an outbreak of bad storms on the planes or the SE is unsusual in the springtime. That happens almost every year.

TGU,

That is statistically significant. Big storms in the Plains and SE US are not. We get those every year. Not having a tornado outbreak would unusual.

first, i shall state unequivocally i believe the climate is changing, as it has since the beginning of the planet, well the beginning of the atmosphere anyway.however, i do believe that the current rate of change is completely driven by the actions of humans...that said...

i agree with Ser Scot, storms, i mean real bad storms, line after line can be very common in plains, midsouth and southeast...

these storms are significant due to the amount of rain per hour which would be a flash flood problem in normal circumstances but not to this extent. Sadly the conditions are far from normal.

the real problem is damage to the soil's (what little there is in the cities...but also in the rural areas) ability to absorb water following almost 5 years of drought, which began in Oct. 2010. the previous drought conditions tabulated here with easy-to-read maps have compounded the normal flash flood potential and thus created this massive flooding. the clay soil literally has baked, reducing it porousness, preventing it from easily absorbing water...

when it rains on this kind of damaged ground it runs off the surface almost as if it were concrete. it also has also cracked open into crevasses, many of which run underground and allow water to flow horizontally rather than percolating into the ground water...the increased run off into a normal slow moving and relatively shallow bayou (i grew up on the mississippi...it's pretty much the only one i call river, no offence) along with the direct downpour of 11+ inches was more than the soil could stand since the infiltration rate was so severely reduced. i searched on google scholar for a few articles that explain...

i grew up in a flood plain on the delta of the mississippi, floods are very common there but generally they rise slowly (hurricanes notwithstanding). the circumstances in texas created a fast rising flood of fast moving water that became a horrible disaster with substantial loss of life and property...

<turns lecture mode off>

So after around a week or so of HOT and humid weather, Michigan is once again enjoying 50 F. degree weather. FFS, last night I had to snuggle up into my flannel PJs, which I had put away for the season.

Look out East Coast - it's going to get cool for you guys shortly.

Not really weather, but last night had the fun of a shallow 4.7 earthquake centred on my home town.

With the big earthquake you guys had in Christchurch a few years ago, I could understand some nervousness.

Being not too far from ToL, we had rather cold weather here last night and I meant to turn the heat on, but forgot, and woke up to a chilly 65 F in the house, about 18 C. It was 9 C outside, went up to 12 C, and is going back down to 8 or 9 C again tonight. I wimped out and have turned the furnace on. A drop from 29 C to 9 C in a day is just too much to get used to again. I put on shorts in the morning, but switched backed to my blue jeans.

This cold spell is not exactly crazy weather, more like annoying weather. If I was up north in cottage country it would be less unusual, but down here in the banana belt we expect better by June. :P

We've nearly got the same weather

Ha ha ha, that's so funny. We're in very late spring, almost summer, and our weather is colder than yours, in late fall, almost winter. We are waiting for a warming trend to move in by the end of the week to bring us up to your temperatures, Gillio!.

Archived