Cra-Cra-Craaaaaaazy Weather!

Fragile Bird

This was a few blocks away about an hour ago. It's less bad where I am - you can see the street again.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/OtherWomble/11350568_10153339049779691_1899842523400532216_n.jpg

The flooding has made the news here. The pictures of the guys in their kayaks, white-water rafting down the road...

Not necessarily crazy, but its been too damn cold. It hasn't been above 65F all week, in June, in DC. Its also been dreary and raining most of the time. Its supposed to be about 20F warmer. Its supposed to be a swamp, not New England in October.

The weather channels 3 month fordcast is pretty acurate- it shows that august is going to get cool for us ( the northeast and the costal areas). Does el nino weaken chances of tropical hurricanes in the east? I swear it does by pushing the cold air through the trough but its been years since I had a class in it.

Well, we have violent thunderstorms, nothing new in that, and we have tornado warnings, nothing new in that. But I have never seen tornado warnings in the Algonquin Park area, about 4 or 5 hours north of Toronto. The area 2 hours north of Toronto, yes, but not 4 hours north of Toronto. If a tornado occurs up there, that will qualify as crazy weather, as far as I am concerned.

• 5 months later...

I seriously considered opening a new thread called Is Winter Coming? but decided I should try to find this thread instead.

It's December 3rd, in southern Canada, admittedly, but it should be below zero C during the day (or maybe a 3 or 4 degrees above, at worse) and definitely below zero C at night.  But it was 8 and 9 during the day the last few days and did not go below zero at night, and next week will see high single digits as well.  In fact, the long term forecast sees us in these mild temperatures the whole month of December.

And as for crazy weather, the east side of India has had the heaviest rains in a 100 years.

What's happening to you?

I seriously considered opening a new thread called Is Winter Coming? but decided I should try to find this thread instead.

It's December 3rd, in southern Canada, admittedly, but it should be below zero C during the day (or maybe a 3 or 4 degrees above, at worse) and definitely below zero C at night.  But it was 8 and 9 during the day the last few days and did not go below zero at night, and next week will see high single digits as well.  In fact, the long term forecast sees us in these mild temperatures the whole month of December.

And as for crazy weather, the east side of India has had the heaviest rains in a 100 years.

What's happening to you?

As for monsoons in India, they have been slow and not as heavy as needed for the last few years. And yes, it is warm here isn't it?

Last weekend I was driving into Connecticut for a thing with my fiancee and her parents, and we were hitting places that still had a decent amount of leaves on the trees. And temps here are still routinely hitting highs in the 50s. It's pretty fucking weird for this time of year.

• 4 weeks later...

Northern England, particularly Yorkshire, is experiencing severe flooding. Cameron to hold emergency meeting in response. I know we have at least one boarder in Yorkshie so stay safe.

The river Tyne was also at crazy levels yesterday. In short,we have had a wet wet Christmas period. Its also been really dark as a result. Christmas day was dark and dull all day.

It has been raining a lot here, but thankfully we also have an abundance of hills. So far I've not had to deal with anything except getting to drive through a few puddles this morning, but I know that there was some pretty bad flooding in a flat area further up the valley where a friend used to live. Can't imagine what it must be like to live in one of the more urban areas affected, and it's weird that it's so close. Why couldn't it be snow?

Anyway, the sun has come out today, so hopefully it won't get any worse. 

I was wondering whether you had been affected or not. Glad you've been lucky and escaped the worst of it 

Sunny and warmish here today too

Northern England, particularly Yorkshire, is experiencing severe flooding. Cameron to hold emergency meeting in response. I know we have at least one boarder in Yorkshie so stay safe.

The river Tyne was also at crazy levels yesterday. In short,we have had a wet wet Christmas period. Its also been really dark as a result. Christmas day was dark and dull all day.

I've been seeing the news reports about people being ordered to leave their homes and the army being sent in.  :(

And then there are all the horrible things going on in the US.

Kair posted this story from the Washington Post on Facebook.  There's a massive storm building over the North Pole, created by hot air that moved up all the way from Texas, and it looks like it will lash Iceland with a bad storm and then hit the northern UK, so flooding may not be done with just yet.  The warm air has meant temperatures 50 degrees F above normal (and possibly 70 degrees F, depending on what the normal temperature actually is, -40 or -20).  There are good illustrations in the story.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2015/12/28/freak-storm-in-north-atlantic-may-push-temperatures-70-degrees-above-normal-at-north-pole/?postshare=3331451434239052&tid=ss_fb-bottom

Kair posted this story from the Washington Post on Facebook.  There's a massive storm building over the North Pole, created by hot air that moved up all the way from Texas, and it looks like it will lash Iceland with a bad storm and then hit the northern UK, so flooding may not be done with just yet.  The warm air has meant temperatures 50 degrees F above normal (and possibly 70 degrees F, depending on what the normal temperature actually is, -40 or -20).  There are good illustrations in the story.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2015/12/28/freak-storm-in-north-atlantic-may-push-temperatures-70-degrees-above-normal-at-north-pole/?postshare=3331451434239052&tid=ss_fb-bottom

This is a follow-up article from a few hours ago. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2015/12/30/freak-storm-has-pushed-north-pole-to-freezing-point-50-degrees-above-normal/

Archived