The show isn’t diverting from the books that much after all.

Attitude

Jaime now hates him.

That was rather interesting that they chose to emphasize that point. I wonder if it relates to how it is likely to now be a confrontation between the Lannisters and Tyrells against Daenerys and the Martells, as opposed to Aegon and the Martells against Daenerys, which is how it is shaping up in the books.

It's really not very different. The fact that the show keeps almost all of the big plot points despite the diversions is a testament to that. On a scaled from 1-10 on 'faithfulness', I'd give it an 8...which is extremely high.

However, I've never judged the show on how 'faithful' it was to the source material. To me, 'quality' and 'faithfulness' aren't remotely the same thing. The show has room for improvement...but then again. so do the books. Anyone who says otherwise is deluding themselves.

Honestly, though...I've really enjoyed this season. They've slowed it down from the frantic pace the last two seasons and have given the characters room to breathe. I think this is the best character development we've seen, tbh. But without the bloated clunkiness of the last two books.

Books 4 and 5 would have been impossible to put to screen as is like they did with book 1/season 1. If people think this season was slow, imagine how slow it would have been if they made a true adaption.

They are getting to all of the main plot points of the books, which shocks me since I didn't think it was possible.

The show has really improved on two subpar books.

I can't believe people really seriously think that Euron is Daario, I know GRRM has done some semi crazy things in the later books, but that would be utterly ridiculous. He is what he appears to be, in my opinion.

To me, Daario being Euron makes more sense than Tyrion being a Targ.

I think Mel being Bloodraven's daughter makes the most sense of all the hidden identity theories, though.

The Melony Shiestar Theory? I read that and thought it made a bit of sense too. I don't think it's remotely important for the show though although Carice has admitted that she knows her character is over 100 years old.

The Melony Shiestar Theory? I read that and thought it made a bit of sense too. I don't think it's remotely important for the show though although Carice has admitted that she knows her character is over 100 years old.

It's only important if you are trying to make mythological connections.

BloodRaven = Loki

Mel = Hel, Loki's daughter

Jon = Surtr, Hel's 'lover', which the show seems to be hinting at with Jon and Mel more explicitly than the books.

I suspect that Missandei will betray Dany. It screams Martin: not expected, betrayal from someone trusted, and devastating. I think the betrayal will be for love and that's why we have the Grey Worm/Missandei love story. In the books, it will be one of her brothers.

I agree. It seems like it should happen in season 5, since they've been setting up for something to happen with Missandei for a while. But how?

Maybe Missandei attempts to poison Dany at the pits? That would make for a tense scene with both Dany and Tyrion proximal to poisoned food. And maybe Hizdahr dies?

Or Missandei makes a deal with the SotH, somehow giving them access to attack Dany during the pit fighting? Or Missandei tries to kill Rhaegal and Viserion and accidentally releases them? (I can't see her doing something so reckless though)

BloodRaven = Loki

Jon = Surtr, Hel's 'lover', which the show seems to be hinting at with Jon and Mel more explicitly than the books.

*glares* Do not start with that nonsense.

The reason i am mad about Aegon being cut is because it destroys the tension that Dany will encounter when she arrives in Westeros. And this is the very thing im anticipating most. Quent being cut makes sense seeing how we can find another reason for Dorne or anyone else to be mad at her. But Aegon signals the final leg of the actual Game of Thrones. Unless they plan on substituting Myrcella as the final obstacle, we get this gaping void of sorts. We all know Tommen is doomed.

The Greyjoys (at least the bros) have something to do with Dany's storyline. at least i think they do. So are they just gonna shove all of that role onto Tyrion? Welp. The reason i get bent about Lady Stoneheart is because i promised my mum awesome was coming. And now shes like "WHERE IS SHE!!??" and im like "I DONT KNOW!" and we cry. :frown5: :crying:

I dont really mind the changes to the Northern arc, but putting Sansa there is actually kind of offensive. Unless theres a really bamf payoff, it just...feels cheap and terrible.

Missandei being the show!Harpy? Whoa. I kinda like it but i feel like its kinda gnarly.

There's a reason why the book snob lingo coined the term "Simplified Bay" (a la Batfinger, Faullaria, etc.). Not only the show is making huge leaps of logic, messing up previous characterization, etc. etc. etc., all the things that show apologists are sick and tired of hearing us say. But now we have the prospect of an overly simplified conclusion to the story.

During the off-season some people counted the number of additions to the cast, hoping that S05's increment would match that of S03, but guess what, there were no new additions! Bear in mind that S03 was the one with the Brotherhood without Banners and the Tullys, now seemingly forgotten. OTOH, the likes of Barristan and Mance are gone, Jorah is a dead man walking, Battle of Ice is bound to yield a few more main cast deaths...

What i'm driving at is, for the last 2 seasons, and all those characters and storylines cut, what factions will we have left? Tyrion/Dany/Varys, Tommen/Cersei, the Tyrells, the Martells (whatever D&D will have them do), Jon, the scattered Stark kids, Littlefinger teleporting to new places... You know how all this spells out to me?

B.O.R.I.N.G.

Sorry, but for all AFFC/ADWD are maligned for, and as Florina points out, from all the different sets of players and factions we had a true conflict, a sense of tension, true drama FFS, a good ol' fucking Game of Thrones, which is what the TV show was supposed to be about. Sorry, but at this point, all the prospect of conflict has been reduced to Dany landing her dragons on Westeros whenever the hell she wants (not whenever the hell the conflicts in the East let her, as per the books) and fighting the Others with the help of a few Starks. That, coupled with the petty catfight that KL and Dorne have become, makes GoT look like a damn soap opera sprinkled with a few fantasy elements, not a proper epic drama. What in the current course of the show evokes the word epic? All it spells is

B.O.R.I.N.G.

I feel the show has changed minor details organically. What happens in the show is resolved in the show. But who the characters are is definitely not changed. And that appears to be the important part so yes I agree with you but at the end of the show we will have a very different story than the books.

*glares* Do not start with that nonsense.

I'll laugh if that nonsense is exactly how it all ends, or what the whole thing is based on. If it is, Aegon is irrelevant to Dany's role as Jorgurmdr.

It is the most fully inclusive theory I have read for all elements in the story and how the plot is shaping up. It also fits perfectly with the tone already established and the concept of the human heart in conflict with itself.

Environmentalism and Pagan duality is what its all about - Fenrir wasn't bad, he was just prophesised that way :)

I'm really not sure why some people watch this show. There seems to be some really intense hatred.

The show and the book are different stories. The show is visually stimulating, the book is intellectually stimulating. You can appreciate them for what they are. Yes, the general outline is the same but the journey (read: story) is different. Some things in the show annoy me but I'm worried some of you are one changed line away from a stroke.

The reason i get bent about Lady Stoneheart is because i promised my mum awesome was coming. And now shes like "WHERE IS SHE!!??" and im like "I DONT KNOW!" and we cry. :frown5: :crying:

It seems like a lot of things fell apart when she was cut from the show.

All that to say that, it's not only the end that matters, it's the journey.

This. For the main characters, I wanted to see their own stories that were written by the author just for them, that should have been the priority.

BloodRaven = Loki

Correction:

Bloodraven: Odin

Bran: Fenrir

Dany: Surtr

Jon: Freyr

Correction:

Bloodraven: Odin

Bran: Fenrir

Dany: Surtr

Jon: Freyr

Walder Frey is Freyer - it's not the size of the penis, or the sexisness of the hair, but the effectiveness of the sperm that really determines the best God of fertility :D

Bran is so Fenrir though - and so is Summer, just in case anyone missed it.

The general plotlines and major story beats are the same. That's why we can actually guess quite accurately how the season is going to end.

The biggest difference this season is that they're simplifying and trimming A LOT of the fat of Feast/Crows. Not only the new "lesser" storylines are gone (Greyjoys, Griff), but the endless chapters of Jon/Cersei/Dany rulling are being condensed and focused on specific plot points. That's the only way to cover the whole story in 10 episodes (and it still seems "slow" for most viewers!)

Oh so everything was either condensed or left out?

A faithful adaption then?

Hell no ! They have wasted time by inventing their own storylines, changing events at the wall and mereen to make no sense.

And yet you focus on only what was left out?

Archived