Will Someone Explain the Prologue?

eherb12

I have read all 5, but I do get confused with characters and family ties at times;hence, i come to this forum for help. Lazy Leo is a Tyrell if I am correct and interacts with Samwell later in the book right?

I have read all 5, but I do get confused with characters and family ties at times;hence, i come to this forum for help. Lazy Leo is a Tyrell if I am correct and interacts with Samwell later in the book right?

Well the important part is that

the kid who gets killed by the Alchemist in the prologue, Pate, shows up in Sam's chapter, when Sam goes to meet Archmaester Marwyn. If you closely read the description of the Alchemist, and then go back and read the description of the man that Jaqen H'ghar becomes when he leaves Arya at the end of book 2, you should notice that the two men are similar, therefore it is very likely that Pate was killed by the same Faceless Man that Arya had met, and who is now impersonating Pate for whatever reason.

• 3 weeks later...

If you're interested, it is also theorized that

Alleras is Sarella Sand, given we hear from the Dorne chapters that Sarella is playing a game in Oldtown and... well... just read the names backwards.

• 1 month later...

The prologue really doesn't sink in until the end of the book, where it ties together with Sam arriving at the Citadel and meeting Marwyn. There are various similarities through the first several chapters (Aemon recalling the strong cider at the Quill and Tankard) but other than that it's kind of a very separate and confusing chapter.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the important part is that

[spoiler] the kid who gets killed by the Alchemist in the prologue, Pate, shows up in Sam's chapter, when Sam goes to meet Archmaester Marwyn. If you closely read the description of the Alchemist, and then go back and read the description of the man that Jaqen H'ghar becomes when he leaves Arya at the end of book 2, you should notice that the two men are similar, therefore it is very likely that Pate was killed by the same Faceless Man that Arya had met, and who is now impersonating Pate for whatever reason. [/spoiler]

If you're interested, it is also theorized that

[spoiler]Alleras is Sarella Sand, given we hear from the Dorne chapters that Sarella is playing a game in Oldtown and... well... just read the names backwards.[/spoiler]

Noooooooo waaaaaaayyyyy!

*hits desk in amazement

Thank you for helping me out, I'm in the middle of my first reread and I have been wondering about that prologue for days. :bowdown:

• 6 months later...
On 9. července 2015 at 6:28 AM, Beware the Skagosi said:

The prologue really doesn't sink in until the end of the book, where it ties together with Sam arriving at the Citadel and meeting Marwyn. There are various similarities through the first several chapters (Aemon recalling the strong cider at the Quill and Tankard) but other than that it's kind of a very separate and confusing chapter.

I dont think it is seperate, confusing it is when you read it for the 1st time. I always looked in the appendix for the names of Archmaesters and a little bit for novices that should help, but except this, I think this is the on the level of prologues of Chett on Fist and Will from AGoT. The talk of East and Maesters of Citadel plus introduction of Oldtown makes it one of the best chapters of the whole Feast IMO :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

thanks for this. Am still reading but didn't understand the puporse of pate or the alchemist, only thing i knew was that it was a faceless man that killed him as he kept on insisting he was "no one".

Archived