The Books That Have Just Come Out: New Release Thread

Maester Llama

This has been the biggest single day that I can recall for books that I had pre-ordered. I received an octet of new fantasy releases:
The Unnoticeables by Robert Brockway

Splintered by Jamie Schultz

Queen of Fire by Anthony Ryan
A Murder of Mages by Marshall Ryan Maresca
The Shores of Spain by J. Kathleen Cheney
The Price of Valor by Django Wexler
Shower of Stones by Zachary Jernigan
The Chart of Tomorrows by Chris Willrich

I am expecting all of these to be great reads, except maybe for Queen of Fire. I've seen too many reviews expressing disappointment; I hope they are wrong about the book's quality.

You read fast! But that's sad to hear. I'm a big Chris Willrich fan.

At one time I could read a book in a day due to a strange work schedule. Now I am lucky if I read a book a week. But no, in this case I read it two months ago because I misread the release date.

• 2 weeks later...
The first of Roger Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber series is now out for Kindle. I've been wanting to read these books for a long time so very glad the books are finally out. $5.99 seems steep given the omnibus edition fits all the stories so I am guessing the books aren't long, but I'm willing to buy it and see how it goes.

Some fun new releases I think people would like:

Residue by Steve Diamond of The Elitist Book Reviews: YA fiction about a teen who discovers his dad's company is dissecting and harvesting the DNA of monsters to put in the locals.

Esoterrorism by C.T. Phipps (me): I mention this as much because, why not. Also, because it is a new release. Secret agent Derek Hawthorne and his succubus partner Shannon O'Reilly fight magic-using terrorists in a world of heightened reality and countless mystical conspiracies.

The Testament of Tall Eagle by John R. Fultz: Native American fantasy which deals with Cthulhoid Horrors and humans from another dimension. High concept but I enjoyed it.

The Lineage by Brian Easton: The third book in the Autobiography of a Werewolf Hunter series, which is quite possibly some of the most grimdark urban fantasy ever created.

The Price of Faith by Rob J. Hayes: The third book in the Ties that Bind series, which wraps up the main character's arcs and results in much internet backdraft but good drama.

The Annihilation Score by Charles Stross: Mo gets her own novel in this spin-off from the Laundry Files. Superheroes have appeared in the Lovecraftian world of Stross' London. Things go to hell and Mo worries about being a middle aged woman.

Has anyone got The Dinosaur Lords on pre-order? I've been poking at it on Amazon for weeks now and I see the release date is coming up soon. I seem to recall a thread on here somewhere but couldn't find it.

Has anyone got The Dinosaur Lords on pre-order? I've been poking at it on Amazon for weeks now and I see the release date is coming up soon. I seem to recall a thread on here somewhere but couldn't find it.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/117871-the-dinosaur-lords-by-victor-milan/

I definitely have it pre-ordered.

From the July releases,i finished Anthony Ryan's Queen of Fire & Abercrombie's Half a War, both being the final books of respective trilogies.QoF ended the series on a disappointing note being the weakest book.On the other hand, Half a War made for a very satisfying ending to a very entertaining trilogy.

Next up is the first book in Stina Leicht's new 'flintlock fantasy' : Cold Iron (Malorum Gates #1).

I'm curious to know if anyone here has read these yet,they're getting good reviews:

Dark Orbit by Carolyn Ives Gilman

Speak by Louisa Hall

• 3 weeks later...

Currently reading : Cold Iron (The Malorum Gates #1) by Stina Leicht

I'm at the 66% mark and it's failing to hold my attention :frown5: .It started well enough,but the middle part is dragging.Does it improve later on ? I hate the romance between Nels and Ilta and the war story at the front is boring the hell out of me,i also skimmed/skipped the infodumps .I had high expectations from this,but sadly it's been pretty ordinary so far. :dunno:

From the [url=http://www.sfsignal.com/archives/2015/08/cover-gallery-hundreds-of-science-fiction-fantasy-and-horror-book-releases-in-august/]August SFF[/url] releases,i'm interested in these books listed below,especially The Paradox by Charlie Fletcher,which i've pre-ordered.I loved the first book in the series. :)

The Paradox (Oversight Trilogy #2) by Charlie Fletcher

Veiled (An Alex Verus Novel) by Benedict Jacka

Three Moments of an Explosion: Stories by China Miéville

Graynelore by Stephen Moore

The Fifth Season (The Broken Earth) by N. K. Jemisin

The House of Shattered Wings by Aliette de Bodard

Dark Ascension: A Generation V Novel by M.L. Brennan

The Trials (The Red Trilogy) by Linda Nagata

The Song of Synth by Seb Doubinsky

On the pre-order front I've got Fool's Quest and The House of Shattered Wings coming this month. Obviously excited for the former, but I'm also rather intrigued by the House of Shattered Wings too. I'm hoping it lives up to my expectations.
Also been poking at The Fifth Season http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Fifth-Season-Broken-Earth/dp/0316229296but I just can't decide whether to try it or not. I've not read anything by N.K Jemisin befor though. Anyone here who has and can recommend?

I was lucky enough to get e-galleys of both and Hobb lives up to all expectations.  The House of Shattered Wings I am having a little effort to get through.

Not sure it counts as it is a novella and ebook form only, but I saw no mention of Lois McMaster Bujold's Penic's Demon.  Set in the same world as The Curse of Chalion just came out recently and is quite good.  Frustrating though as just a bit over 100 pages and I want her to go back to writing in that world.  Now.  No.  Two years ago so I have a nice fat brand new full length novel to read right now.

Archived