The Books That Have Just Come Out: New Release Thread

Maester Llama

I'm most looking forward to Poseidon's Wake by Alastair Reynolds and The Tiger and the Wolf by Adrian Tchaikovsky. 

I want to continue with Salyards, but I wasn't too impressed by Veil of the Deserters.  I know a lot of people liked it more than the first book, but I had the exact opposite reaction. 

Here's my list of books (in chronological order) being published in the US this month (February, 2016), that are on pre-order or have already been received:

Chains of the Heretic [Feb 2] Jeff Salyards
The Alchemy of Chaos [Feb 2] Marshall Ryan Maresca
Dreaming Death [Feb 2] J. Kathleen Cheney
A Criminal Magic [Feb 2] Lee Kelly
Kingfisher [Feb 2] Patricia A. McKillip 
Winterwood [Feb 2] Jacey Bedford
Some of the Best From Tor.com: 2015 [Feb 2] [anthology with various authors]

The Witch Who Came in From the Cold— Episode 2: “A Voice on the Radio” [Feb 3] Cassandra Rose Clarke 
Son of the Morning [Feb 4] Mark Alder [this is the American release; I already have the 2014 UK version]
Dragon Hunters [Feb 9] Marc Turner
Angelus [Feb 9] Sabrina Benulis
A Song for No Man’s Land [Feb 9] Andy Remic
The Guns of Ivrea [Feb 9] Clifford Beal
The Witch Who Came in From the Cold— Episode 3: “Double Blind” [Feb 10] Max Gladstone 
Northwoods [Feb 16] Bill Schweigart
Lovecraft Country [Feb 16] Max Ruff
The Immortals [Feb 16] Jordanna Max Brodsky
Ghosts of the Tristan Basin [Feb 16] Brian McClellan
The Ballad of Black Tom [Feb 16] Victor LaValle
The Witch Who Came in From the Cold— Episode 4: “Stasis” [Feb 17] Lindsay Smith 
A Gathering of Shadows [Feb 23] V. E. Schwab
The Witch Who Came in From the Cold— Episode 5: “The Golem” [Feb 24] Ian Tregillis

I will have to buy Chains of the Heretic.  Damn pricey for an ebook but my library doesn't touch Nightshade releases and I don't expect this one to ever enter mass-paperback territory (yes I am cheap).  Count me as one who liked Veil of Deserters more than its predecessor. 

Kind of off topic here but did anyone read The Free by Brian Ruckley?  I thought it had a similar vibe to Salyard's series but tied up in one book.

3 hours ago, SkynJay said:

Kind of off topic here but did anyone read The Free by Brian Ruckley?  I thought it had a similar vibe to Salyard's series but tied up in one book.

I've read it. It felt differently to me, but I respect that others have their own vibes. There are several short novellas about The Free that will be appearing soon in the UK. Three have been announced so far—A Tale of the Free: Corsair (Mar 1); A Tale of the Free: Exile (Jun 7); A Tale of the Free: Tyrant (Sep 6). I've seen no confirmation yet about an American release for these.

On 2/2/2016 at 4:11 PM, Puntificator said:

Here's my list of books (in chronological order) being published in the US this month (February, 2016), that are on pre-order or have already been received:

Chains of the Heretic [Feb 2] Jeff Salyards
The Alchemy of Chaos [Feb 2] Marshall Ryan Maresca
Dreaming Death [Feb 2] J. Kathleen Cheney
A Criminal Magic [Feb 2] Lee Kelly
Kingfisher [Feb 2] Patricia A. McKillip 
Winterwood [Feb 2] Jacey Bedford
Some of the Best From Tor.com: 2015 [Feb 2] [anthology with various authors]

The Witch Who Came in From the Cold— Episode 2: “A Voice on the Radio” [Feb 3] Cassandra Rose Clarke 
Son of the Morning [Feb 4] Mark Alder [this is the American release; I already have the 2014 UK version]
Dragon Hunters [Feb 9] Marc Turner
Angelus [Feb 9] Sabrina Benulis
A Song for No Man’s Land [Feb 9] Andy Remic
The Guns of Ivrea [Feb 9] Clifford Beal
The Witch Who Came in From the Cold— Episode 3: “Double Blind” [Feb 10] Max Gladstone 
Northwoods [Feb 16] Bill Schweigart
Lovecraft Country [Feb 16] Max Ruff
The Immortals [Feb 16] Jordanna Max Brodsky
Ghosts of the Tristan Basin [Feb 16] Brian McClellan
The Ballad of Black Tom [Feb 16] Victor LaValle
The Witch Who Came in From the Cold— Episode 4: “Stasis” [Feb 17] Lindsay Smith 
A Gathering of Shadows [Feb 23] V. E. Schwab
The Witch Who Came in From the Cold— Episode 5: “The Golem” [Feb 24] Ian Tregillis

Just added Hell's Bounty [Feb 29] Joe R. Landsdale and John L. Landsdale.

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, polishgenius said:

China Mieville's new book, This Census-Taker, comes out today. Yay!

:angry: Turns out they're asking full price for a novella. Which because I pre-ordered it as soon as it was listed I didn't realise it was (I'm not sure the blurb at the time even mentioned it and the cover certainly doesn't). Didn't realise until I closed by e-reader and booted it back up to see I was 95% through.

I mean, it's not a bad novella, although it does feel like the beginning of a bigger story to add to the  :angry:, but I feel they've been cheeky here.

18 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Just saw that The Winged Histories by Sofia Samatar is already out as an ebook.I initially thought this was a March release,but that's only the hardcover pub. date.Downloaded the ebook,this is high on my TBR pile.

Actually, I got my pre-ordered hardcover in the mail on Monday, a full three weeks before the release date.  Not sure how that happened, but I'm not complaining! 

March. Wow,what a month!

Here's what i want to read:

The Devil You Know by K. J. Parker

The Spider's War by Daniel Abraham

Downfall of the Gods by K. J. Parker

Snakewood by Adrian Selby

Those Below by Daniel Polansky

Eagle in Exile by Alan Smale

The Last Mortal Bond by Brian Staveley

The Stealers' War by Stephen Hunt

• 2 weeks later...

Snakewood by Adrian Selby ,a debut,came out today but i'm not sure i wanna get this as the reviews/ratings on goodreads are bad.Anyone here read it ?

Also,The Last Mortal Bond by Brian Staveley came out today and although i think the series so far is slightly above average i will read the last book to finish the trilogy.

19 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Snakewood by Adrian Selby ,a debut,came out today but i'm not sure i wanna get this as the reviews/ratings on goodreads are bad.Anyone here read it ?

Also,The Last Mortal Bond by Brian Staveley came out today and although i think the series so far is slightly above average i will read the last book to finish the trilogy.

I read about 20% of Snakewood.   Disjointed narrative, by design, but it made it not only hard to follow but also hard to care about any one thread of the plot.

Archived