The Flash - Stupidest man alive

Red Tiger

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

Trailer:

Killer Snow a bad Firestorm (Ronnie version,) and Eobard Thawne all make an appearance.

That trailer makes it look like the plot will actually progress for the last half of the season.  Yay!

What's the deal with Ronnie Firestorm? Does he keep jumping ship only for pilots/show to be cancelled and then comes back for a few episodes. The show should just stick to a new one and stop jumping through hoops to let him back on whenever he has time.

Well, that was dull.

After his sole contribution so far being involvement in a boring and pointless love story with another character who gets nothing else to do, we're now supposed to care whether Jay lives or dies?

Lots of focus on the question whether our hero should keep lying to his girlfriend or whether he maybe should act like a relatable human being?

Are they seriously sending Patty off this way? Why did we have to waste so much time on her this season then?

Unbelievably the least annoying plot may have been Joe and Wally's. Not that it was great television, but the difficulties they have navigating the situation feel believable. Of course then I remembered that Iris should be a major part of this storyline, but she's busy being a supporting character in the Barry/Patty drama...

Bah, hopefully Thawne will make things interesting next week.

I was fine with it.  It was a "return from break" episode.  Meant to set up some things and deal with leftovers from the first half to some extent.

Patty's leaving pretty much echoes her comic book history, and I don't think we'll see the last of her overall.

They needed to do SOMETHING with Jay.  Right now, he's just window dressing and sad. 

I hope she really is gone so they don't feel the desire to continue with the "keep the female love interest ignorant" bullshit again. I also love how they are no longer even trying to pretend that the illegal prison might be somewhat human behind the curtains.

Episode was fairly meh. I agree that Barry couldn't have been more sinister cracking jokes at the expense of their latest illegally held prisoner. He probably won't be too torn up when he finds his body.

It was ridiculous how he still wouldn't tell Patty and pretty low to use the memory of his dead mum to guilt trip her into leaving him alone. Not cool Barry. Not that the relationship was that healthy anyway given how she never bothered discussing the forensics course with him.

Jay and Caitlin are so utterly redundant in the show at the moment. I maybe read the scene wrong but was Caitlin managing to make it about her with the "how could you let me get close to you when I'd just got over my fiance dying". Yeah, Jay you're such a dick for dying.

Was one of the Arrow staff guest writing the episode?

Not sure what to make of Reverse Flash but i guess it should be interesting.

10 hours ago, red snow said:

Jay and Caitlin are so utterly redundant in the show at the moment. I maybe read the scene wrong but was Caitlin managing to make it about her with the "how could you let me get close to you when I'd just got over my fiance dying". Yeah, Jay you're such a dick for dying.

Was one of the Arrow staff guest writing the episode?

I also loved Caitlin telling us that it took her a long time to get over Ronnie's death. Good thing we cleared that up, because it sure wasn't evident on the show.

The writer is listed as Brian Q. Miller, whose cv includes working on Smallville and writing for DC comics, no mention of Arrow. Though let's be fair, at this point the Flash writing staff has shown they've got the mishandling of relationships, both romantic and platonic, down pat. They really don't need any help with that.

4 hours ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

I'm disappointed with Patty going specially because we all know the only reason is because they'll insist on Barry/Iris non-sense for as long as they can.

The big problem is that they're not just simpy going to let them get together, they're going to try to milk the will they/won't they dynamic for as long as they can. If we're extra lucky they'll add a new love triangle.

5 hours ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

I'm disappointed with Patty going specially because we all know the only reason is because they'll insist on Barry/Iris non-sense for as long as they can.

which would be a shame as Iris has benefited greatly from not being defined as "woman that Barry wants/evil bitch who won't relent to her psychological "brother" "  Even more creepy when your dad champions the relationship.

screenrant has a good article on how "Legends" has come at the cost of Flash and Arrow. Considering I haven't watched the last 3 episodes of Arrow and currently have no incentive to go back I think there's an element of truth. Although if the shows don't improve after going out of the way to set up Legends then it's largely due to me getting fatigue over shows stuck in limbo with dodgy relationships in them.

Luckily I still enjoy Flash a lot but I do wonder if the fun will wear off in season 3 like it did with Arrow.

23 minutes ago, red snow said:

which would be a shame as Iris has benefited greatly from not being defined as "woman that Barry wants/evil bitch who won't relent to her psychological "brother" "  Even more creepy when your dad champions the relationship.

Really? Iris has been marginalised this season. Even plotlines about her missing mother and heretofore unknown brother were mosly about Joe, not her.

And really, not all of Flash's weaknesses this season stem from the Legends setup. A lot of it has to do with unrelated ideas not working out (like introducing Jay Garrick) or feeling awfully similar to season 1 (like Zoom). Plus the general inability of the Flash/Arrow production team to really service the large casts they have put together. It's like they get really excited about having a specific character on the show, only to then realise they don't really know what to do with them. That's probably my biggest concern ahead of Legends' debut.

I'd honestly rather have less of a character showing up when relevant than being present as a tragic love interest or someone who complains about Barry not being honest all the time (even though that's Barry's fault I just don't want it playing out full stop). It would be far worse if they went on a Laurel campaign of "you will like her" by pushing her into the story.

I agree that they seem more keen on burning through comic characters than sitting down and thinking "what do they add to the show"? 

I hope legends will be a romp but neither show has ever demonstrated they can handle more than 3 characters as a team well. They still tend to have around 3 characters and the rest just hang around. I'll give Flash  characters in that it's Barry, Flash, Joe and Cisco. The show could function with just them for the vast majority of the storylines.

41 minutes ago, red snow said:

I'd honestly rather have less of a character showing up when relevant than being present as a tragic love interest or someone who complains about Barry not being honest all the time (even though that's Barry's fault I just don't want it playing out full stop). It would be far worse if they went on a Laurel campaign of "you will like her" by pushing her into the story.

Oh, agreed that no screen time is better than annoying screentime when it comes to viewer enjoyment, I just don't think that marginalising a character in that way actually counts as improving the character (or even improving how they use the character). It's essentially an admission of failure on the writers' part.

Archived