Jaquen=Rhaegar (and several others)

King Snow

Hey so I know that this won't be a very popular theory among some of you, but just hear me out first.

Since AGOT, Rhaegar Targaryen has been a very polarizing figure among the characters in the series, and us readers. What I'm proposing is that Rhaegar never died on the Trident, and that he's the faceless man that we know as Jaquen H'ghar. But how did Rhaegar survive his fight with Robert? It's very simple: Rhaegar never actually fought Robert that day, it was the kingsguard member Jonothor Darry who fought Robert, dressed up in Rhaegar's almost iconic armor.

When Jaime is standing vigil over Tywin's corpse, he recalls the last time he saw Rhaegar. Jon Darry was helping Rhaegar put on his armor, the "armor that he would die in". They were preparing to face Robert's forces and Jamie asks if he can go with Rhaegar while Darry stays back in King's Landing. Darry snaps at him and reminds him of his duty. I believe that he snapped at him because he knew exactly what him and Rhaegar were planning to do, and Jaime going would've ruined the plan. We've been giving at least four major examples of the armor switcheroo. The first was on the battle of the Blackwater, where Garlan Tyrell wore Renly's Armor. The second is when Rorge went around wearing the Hound's helm while committing various atrocities. The next two go more in line with my theory. In ADWD, the first time Roose Bolton and Ramsey meet in the story is as follows:

Farther back came the baggage train—lumbering wayns laden with provisions and loot taken in

the war, and carts crowded with wounded men and cripples. And at the rear, more Freys. At least a

thousand, maybe more: bowmen, spearmen, peasants armed with scythes and sharpened sticks,

freeriders and mounted archers, and another hundred knights to stiffen them.

Collared and chained and back in rags again, Reek followed with the other dogs at Lord

Ramsay’s heels when his lordship strode forth to greet his father. When the rider in the dark armor

removed his helm, however, the face beneath was not one that Reek knew. Ramsay’s smile curdled at

the sight, and anger flashed across his face. “What is this, some mockery?”

“Just caution,” whispered Roose Bolton, as he emerged from behind the curtains of the

enclosed wagon.

Roose didn't wear the armor that he's very well known for because it would've made him a walking target for his enemies.

The fourth example comes not from the series proper, but from TWOIAF. Those of you who own a physical copy of the book can find this info on page 166. This next part sums up what happened in the last battle between Robar II Royce, the last Bronze King and Artys I Arryn, the founder of House Arryn:

It was dusk when the Andal army finally

appeared, to raise their tents half a league from

their foes. But even in that fading light, Robar

Royce did not fail to mark their leader. His

silvered armor and winged helm made the

Falcon Knight unmistakable, even from afar.

Whereupon the High King spied the

Falcon Knight across the field and spurred

toward him; should their leader fall, the Andals

would lose heart and break, he hoped.

They came together as the battle raged

around them, the king in bronze armor, the hero

in silvered steel. Though the Falcon Knight’s

armor flashed brilliantly in the morning sun, his

sword was no Lady Forlorn. The duel was done

almost before it began, as the Valyrian steel

sheared through the winged helm and laid the

Andal low. For an instant, as his foe toppled

from the saddle, Robar Royce must surely have

thought his battle won.

Then he heard the trumpets, ringing through

the dawn air, the sound coming from behind

him. And turning in his saddle, the High King

beheld in dismay five hundred fresh Andal

knights pouring down the slopes of the Giant’s

Lance to take his own host in the rear. Leading

the attack was a champion in silvered steel, with

a moon-and-falcon on his shield and wings upon

his warhelm. Ser Artys Arryn had clad one of

his knights retainer in his spare suit of armor,

leaving him in camp whilst he himself took his

best horsemen up and around a goat track that

he remembered from his childhood, so they

might reappear behind the First Men and

descend on them from above.

Again, we're given another clear example of someone not wearing iconic armor that they're known for to trick they're enemies. There's clearly a reason why GRRM is giving us these examples. And normally if I'm bringing up a book theory I wouldn't even bother to bring up the GOT tv series but I have to bring up S02E09 Blackwater. Not for what happened but, rather, what didn't happen. When that episode came out, I remember GRRM being upset that characters like Stannis and the Hound weren't wearing their helms in the battle. At the time I thought it was a little odd for him to nitpick about that of all things but now, it makes perfect sense. For him to later reveal that Rhaegar never fought Robert on the Trident, a big deal would obviously be made about Jon Darry wearing Rhaegar's armor and helm.

Outside of the armor situation, there are other clues. We've been told that as a boy, Rhaegar read something in old Valyrian scrolls that made him feel that he needed to become a warrior. When we meet the Alchemist (Jaquen) in the prologue of AFFC, Pate asks him why he wants the master key to the Citadel. Pate's thoughts immediately go to the old Valyrian scrolls locked up in the vaults. What is this faceless man doing in Oldtown? If it was to kill someone, why not just do it and be done? He clearly has a much bigger plan.

A lot of people have speculated that Jaquen is actually Syrio Forel, and I honestly believe that to be true as well. Except that "Syrio" was just another false identity. Why would a faceless man allow himself to be captured and thrown in the black cells without good reason? This next part will sound even more outlandish to most of you but bear with me. I have a hunch that Rhaegar/Jaquen/Syrio/Alchemist was also who we thought was Benjen Stark. This is why Benjen is missing because he was already dead by the time Robert came to Winterfell. Think about this part of his conversation with Jon Snow (his son):

“You don’t know what you’re asking, Jon. The Night’s Watch is a sworn brotherhood. We have no families. None of us will ever father sons.

Our wife is duty. Our mistress is honor.”

“A bastard can have honor too,” Jon said. “I am ready to swear your oath.”

“You are a boy of fourteen,” Benjen said. “Not a man, not yet. Until you have known a woman, you cannot understand what you would be giving up.”

“I don’t care about that!” Jon said hotly.

“You might, if you knew what it meant,” Benjen said. “If you knew what the oath would cost you, you might be less eager to pay the price, son.”

Jon felt anger rise inside him. “I’m not your son!”

This bit is very telling, I think. "Benjen" is trying to stress to Jon what he would be giving up in the name of duty, and because Jon is blinded by rage over his bastardy, he can't see the big picture.

Let's take a quick look at one of the other major players in all this: Jonothor Darry. Even though I believe this it was Darry who was struck down by Robert, he's not dead, either. I believe that he was knocked unconscious, his armor was picked clean after the battle by scavengers, and he washed up naked on the Quiet Isle to become the the man that we know as the Elder Brother. Here's what we know about the Elder Brother:

-He was once a knight.

-His father and his family had all been knights.

-He fought for House Targaryen at the Battle of the Trident where he was knocked unconscious. Everyone thought he was dead so they stripped his armor and possessions and dumped his body into the river. He floated downstream where he woke up naked on the Quiet Isle. He spent the next ten years in silence.

-While discussing the graves of dead soldiers who have washed up on the Quiet Isle, the Elder Brother implies there is a fierce enmity between House Darry and House Frey.

That last part is interesting, him mentioning House Darry's hatred toward the Freys. And one of the major signs that he's Jon Darry, is simply the fact that GRRM never, at any time, says the exact nature of Darry's death. Which is very odd considering how detailed he usually is about those kinds of things. And Darry being kingsguard, it wouldn't surprise me if the armor switch was his idea in an effort to protect the prince.

So here's a (rocky) timeline of events:

-In sight of many in King's Landing, Jon Darry helps Rhaegar suit up his armor and they leave to face Robert.

-After suspiciously being absent for most of the war, Rhaegar's forces finally appear on the Trident and the Battle ensues.

-Robert seeks out "Rhaegar" and engages him in single combat, where Robert gets wounded but whacks "Rhaegar" in the chest with his warhammer.

-After the fall of House Targaryen and the world believing him dead, Rhaegar goes to Braavos and The House Of Black And White to become a faceless man. (This scenario is very similar to Arya's arc) The faceless men are rooted in Old Valyria it's hinted that they were responsible for its Doom.

-Years pass, and he returns to Westeros and goes North. He either kills Benjen Stark himself, or at the very least is present when Benjen dies. Either way, he takes Benjen's face.

-"Benjen" goes to Winterfell (right under Robert's nose haha) and takes measure of his son. He knows that Jon's destiny is at the Wall, but wants him to wait a while. They go to the Wall together.

-Shortly after arriving at the Wall, "Benjen" goes on a ranging and never returns.

-When Lord Eddard needs a Braavosi water dancer to train Arya in fighting in that style, Syrio Forel comes to train her.

-When Lord Eddard's household is being slaughtered, Syrio helps Arya escape and supposedly dies. In the books (or tv series), we never actually see him die.

-When Yoren requests prisoners to take the black, the black cells are emptied out and Jaquen H'ghar is among the prisoners. Jaquen accompanies this group all the way to Harrenhal, where he begins to form a bond of sorts with Arya.

-After helping Arya escape Harrenal, Jaquen changes his face and leaves her, but not before giving her the Iron Coin and guiding her to The House Of Black And White.

-The Alchemist (Jaquen's new identity) has a novice named Pate steal a skeleton to the Citadel. It's implied that he may be after old Valyrian scrolls. He kills Pate with a poisoned coin.(Yet another parallel to Arya, and her killing a man in the exact same way.)

-Samwell Tarly gets to the Citadel, and has a long conversation with Marwyn about the everything that he went through, as well as the prophecy of Azor Ahai and Daenerys. Marwyn leaves to seek out and aide Daenerys in Mereen. Jaquen (as Pate) is present for this conversation.

This last part of all of this comes from a solely literary standpoint. Simply put, Rhaegar has to be alive or his character kind of makes no sense. Go back to the whole thing about him reading those scrolls as a boy, and thinking that he was the prince who was promised, before later thinking that it was his son Aegon. Whatever was in those scrolls affected his decisions, almost to the point of insanity from an outsider's perspective. It's was drove his character to do (for better or worse) all the things that he did. For his character to be totally complete, we have to find out at some point, what was in those scrolls. And the only person that we can find that out from is the man himself.

As I mentioned earlier, Rhaegar Targaryen is a very polarizing figure. Some people thought that he was a hero, a lover of music, and an all around great guy. Others thought that he was a kidnapper, a rapist, and a monster. Only he can set that record straight and present the audience with the facts of why he did what he did. It's more than him running off with Lyanna. Even if he didn't kidnap her and they ran off and eloped, what about Elia Martell? Some believe (myself included) that Elia knew what Rhaegar planned to do. We got a glimpse of those two in Dany's vision at The House Of The Undying. At the very end of the vision, Rhaegar brings up that there needs to be a third child after Rhaenys and Aegon. It was said that Aegon's birth almost killed Elia and that she couldn't have any more children. So did his wife give him the go ahead to court Lyanna or did Rhaegar just say "fuck Elia" and elope with Lyanna? I'm sure most of us are inclined to believe the former. But again, the only person who we can hear the definitive truth from is Rhaegar. I feel like one of the biggest "twists" in this series (Jon's parentage) is almost like a fake out. It's been pretty obvious since AGOT that Jon wasn't Ned's bastard. And GRRM already said that Jon would learn the truth about his parents in TWOW so it's clearly not the major twist. "Aegon" still being alive is another fake out. Rhaegar being alive is going to be the major twist of this story. His presence has lingered throughout the whole series. A lot of people won't even entertain this theory, and their resistance simply comes from conditioning. This series has conditioned us by telling us over and over again, Rhaegar died on the Trident, Rhaegar died on the Trident, Rhaegar died on the Trident. So much so that it's become almost inconceivable to think or suggest otherwise. Couple that with how we've been conditioned with the sheer volume of character deaths, and that only proves my point further.

So there it is, my theory in a nutshell. I'm totally prepared to get called a quack, a crackpot, a wearer of tinfoil hats (tinfoil hats are awesome ftw!) But I'm fine with that because I know that I laid out a valid argument to support my theory. Hell, I've presented more evidence to prove my theory and most fans of the "Tyrion is a Targaryen" theory haha. But it's all good. I really look forward to discussing this with people. Those of you that actually read all of this, anyway.

Well, the wording in Dany's vision in HOTU, says a prince dying with a womens name on his lips. Thid was very likely rhaegar. And as i said, the wording shows it was a prince. So the only way Rhaegar could have survived is if Lewyn was wearing his armour.

Plus if he did survive, he could have mentioned the fact. After all his house fell as a consequence of his death.

Well, the wording in Dany's vision in HOTU, says a prince dying with a womens name on his lips. Thid was very likely rhaegar. And as i said, the wording shows it was a prince. So the only way Rhaegar could have survived is if Lewyn was wearing his armour.

Plus if he did survive, he could have mentioned the fact. After all his house fell as a consequence of his death.

It more likely would've been Jon Darry, not Llewyn. We know definitively that Lyn Corbray killed Llewyn with Darry it was never stated. And the person who uttered a woman's name could also be Darry. Darry (or Elder Brother, rather) had nothing to offer the woman he wanted to marry but the shield, sword and horse of his knighthood. This means that if Darry is also the Elder Brother, he too had a woman that he loved. And he would've spoke her name while wearing Rhaegar's armor. Remember, because he was covered head to toe in armor, Dany wouldn't have seen his face in the vision. Otherwise, she would've made the connection between that vision, and the vision of her brother with Elia and baby Aegon.

-When Lord Eddard needs a Braavosi water dancer to train Arya in fighting in that style, Syrio Forel comes to train her.

Ned was never looking for someone to specifically teach her the Braavosi style of fighting. He came highly recommended, or something along those lines, from someone in KL. In fact, there was a time (when Arya was balancing on stairs and chasing cats) when Ned wanted to dismiss Syrio and get Arya a proper Westerosi master-at-arms.

Well, there are two parts that can be debated in your theory : -Rhaegar isn't dead and - A faceless man can be anybody

First you don't make any point to connect the two parts, except some "intent" that would be outrageous for a faceless man. Nevertheless.

first part: Rhaegar isn't dead = well yeah it could be another man in the armor, or it could have been a glamor (rubbies)= fact is, GRRM himself confirmed his body was burnt afterward, without marking a pause or trying to troll even a little bit. I'm sorry, I saw more convincing posts that speculate that Rhaegar = Mance. But in the end, it doesn't bring anything. Especially if he survives in organizations that prevent him for doing whatever he wants (NW, faceless man, slave, greenseer, silent brothers, etc...).

second part: a faceless man can be anybody: but he can't do anything he wants. He's "serving death", not trying to find out the meaning of old prophecies, not training future acolytes to waterdance, then say what he wants her to do is completely different. And furthermore, the kindly man's punishment can prove quite severe for disobedience.

My biggest issue with this (suspending all disbelief) is.. Why would Rhaegar help Arya? She's the daughter of the man who helped Robert Baratheon usurp his family's claim to the Iron Throne.

I don't think rhaegar held that against Ned he seem like the kined of guy who could understand his reasons for doing what he did and forgiving him. Also he kined of owed Ned for protecting his son.

Well, there are two parts that can be debated in your theory : -Rhaegar isn't dead and - A faceless man can be anybody

First you don't make any point to connect the two parts, except some "intent" that would be outrageous for a faceless man. Nevertheless.

first part: Rhaegar isn't dead = well yeah it could be another man in the armor, or it could have been a glamor (rubbies)= fact is, GRRM himself confirmed his body was burnt afterward, without marking a pause or trying to troll even a little bit. I'm sorry, I saw more convincing posts that speculate that Rhaegar = Mance. But in the end, it doesn't bring anything. Especially if he survives in organizations that prevent him for doing whatever he wants (NW, faceless man, slave, greenseer, silent brothers, etc...).

second part: a faceless man can be anybody: but he can't do anything he wants. He's "serving death", not trying to find out the meaning of old prophecies, not training future acolytes to waterdance, then say what he wants her to do is completely different. And furthermore, the kindly man's punishment can prove quite severe for disobedience.

But that's just it. In this scenario, we don't know what Rhaegar wants. We also don't know whether or not his goals go against what the faceless men are about. The faceless men are instruments of death, very true. But what if this prophecy lines up that? It's hinted that the very first faceless man was responsible for the Doom. What if Rhaegar is planning another Doom? That would totally be in line with the faceless men. Not saying that that's the case but it's possible. None of us have the full story yet, but you seem pretty sure of yourself. And what about the other points that I've made? Tell me, how did Jon Darry die? And if you're so sure that what I've said is so weak, then what do you think Jaquen is doing?

I don't think rhaegar held that against Ned he seem like the kined of guy who could understand his reasons for doing what he did and forgiving him. Also he kined of owed Ned for protecting his son.

That's actually a very good point. People always said how Arya was a lot like Lyanna and he loved Lyanna.

Ned was never looking for someone to specifically teach her the Braavosi style of fighting. He came highly recommended, or something along those lines, from someone in KL. In fact, there was a time (when Arya was balancing on stairs and chasing cats) when Ned wanted to dismiss Syrio and get Arya a proper Westerosi master-at-arms.

Sorry, I meant that he thought that the style would match needle's slenderness, not that he specifically wanted her to be a water dancer.

This "he was in love with lyanna" makes me want to be sick. So cheesy and so out of character from what we're told about both rhaegar and lyanna.

What were we told about these two that would make you say that it's out of character for them? Lyanna was very tomboyish but she did have a sensitive side. Rhaegar's harp playing at the Tourney of Harrenhal made her weep. Benjen made fun of her for it and she poured wine on his head but she did weep. And Rhaegar crowned her the queen of love and beauty. Sounds pretty romantic to me.

But that's just it. In this scenario, we don't know what Rhaegar wants. We also don't know whether or not his goals go against what the faceless men are about. The faceless men are instruments of death, very true. But what if this prophecy lines up that? It's hinted that the very first faceless man was responsible for the Doom. What if Rhaegar is planning another Doom? That would totally be in line with the faceless men. Not saying that that's the case but it's possible. None of us have the full story yet, but you seem pretty sure of yourself. And what about the other points that I've made? Tell me, how did Jon Darry die? And if you're so sure that what I've said is so weak, then what do you think Jaquen is doing?

And what if ?=>Sure the prophecy is going to mention that somebody has to become a knight with a sword, to have three kids, to kidnap a second mistress, to lose a war, to "infiltrate" the faceless men, to train "a girl" in a style he wasn't practicing before, to get a mission in the citadel, to look for the next clues...

The first faceless man "MAY" have been responsible for the doom by "giving the gift" to the masters.Anyway, why would the doom and the prophecy even be connected, except it allowed the disapearance of the dragons ?

How did Jon Darry die ? It was a war, you have plenty of different ways to pick from. And maybe you're right he survived on the Quiet Island. He can even be the elder brother. That would further conflict with the : THEY'VE BURNED RHAEGAR'S BODY !!!

What do I think Jaqen is doing ? Mmmmm, his job= he is on a mission to assasinate somebody=> Which could mean as simple as ...killing someone inside the citadel, or killing someone who hides in the citadel, etc... Why would you trust what Pate would think about, if he's duped at the end of the chapter ?

And what if ?=>Sure the prophecy is going to mention that somebody has to become a knight with a sword, to have three kids, to kidnap a second mistress, to lose a war, to "infiltrate" the faceless men, to train "a girl" in a style he wasn't practicing before, to get a mission in the citadel, to look for the next clues...

The first faceless man "MAY" have been responsible for the doom by "giving the gift" to the masters.Anyway, why would the doom and the prophecy even be connected, except it allowed the disapearance of the dragons ?

How did Jon Darry die ? It was a war, you have plenty of different ways to pick from. And maybe you're right he survived on the Quiet Island. He can even be the elder brother. That would further conflict with the : THEY'VE BURNED RHAEGAR'S BODY !!!

What do I think Jaqen is doing ? Mmmmm, his job= he is on a mission to assasinate somebody=> Which could mean as simple as ...killing someone inside the citadel, or killing someone who hides in the citadel, etc... Why would you trust what Pate would think about, if he's duped at the end of the chapter ?

Wow, okay. Rhaegar's mind changed several times. First, he interpreted that prophecy as he was the prince who was promised. Aemon later said that he came to believe that it was actually his son Aegon. Then he started to focus on the significance of the dragon has three heads. This prophecy is clearly very vague, which is why Melisandre tends to misinterpret it. When you wrote the prophecy as involving a knight, kids, mistress, failed war blah blah blah, you were clearly just being snarky. And while I appreciate a good bit of snark from time to time, if you could reel it in a little that would be awesome. And yes, I'm well aware of GRRM stating that Rhaegar's body was burned (it's actually the only real go to for people when they try to debunk this theory) and I'm afraid it doesn't really work that way. See if that were true, GRRM would've given some indication of it in the actual text of the story. That's how storytelling works. Because let's say you didn't own a computer and never went online. And let's say all 7 books were finished and released. You read them and by the end, there's absolutely nothing mentioned about Rhaegar's corpse being burned. How would you ever know it happened? You wouldn't. But some other guy who has internet access, goes online and reads GRRM's answer to a fan's question. So that means that you never get this major nugget of information because you don't go online? Storytelling DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY. GRRM gave the only answer that he could, because sometimes, in some scenarios you're faced with either giving away a secret, or lying to protect it. Kinda like what Ned did with Jon lol. And as far as Pate goes, yeah he wasn't too bright, but that doesn't mean that he was wrong. Also, if that line about the Valyrian scrolls doesn't mean anything then why is it there? The scrolls have actually been somewhat of a constant in the story. Hell, even Missandei has been reading some of them in ADWD. And if Jaquen's deal is that cut and dry, then what the fuck has he been doing since he showed up in the story? Who has he killed other than the people he owed to Arya and Pate? On the surface, if what you're saying is true and he's just doing the assassin thing, then he kind of sucks at it haha. In regards to Jon Darry, the fact that you so quickly dismissed how he died is straight up laughable. He was one of Aerys' seven kingsguard. As I said in my post, he left the Red Keep with Rhaegar, him and Rhaegar were missing throughout most of the war, Rhaegar finally shows up clad head to toe in armor, the battle ensues and when it's done, Jon Darry is the only unexplained death?? Have you not been reading the same books as the rest of us?? GRRM goes into detail explaining every little location and meal, and even tell us in pretty good how detail how Lewyn Martell died but he conveniently decides not to tell us how Lewyn's sworn brother died at the very same battle? No way.

I'm okay with the theory that Rhaegar survived the battle at the Trident. Perhaps Darry did dress in his Prince's armor and die in his place. I appreciate the examples that the OP brings up where armor has been switched, it definitely lends a helping hand to this theory.

Beyond that, sorry, can't get on board. If Rhaegar survived, what would cause him to abandon his family and his duties and go to Braavos to play assassin for the next 15 years? Abandoning a newborn son that he believed helped to fulfill a prophecy, no less.

And the idea that Rhaegar=Jaquen=Syrio=Benjen is simply ridiculous. Faceless Men are good, but do the timelines even allow for the type of movement that would be necessary for Benjen to be at the Wall and Syrio to be in KL? Faceless Men are still men, they can't magically teleport wherever they want.

I have always had a feeling that Rhaegar could still be alive. But "Prince Rhaegar Targaryen" died at the Trident in said armor. I don't think he went to Braavos, or is Jaquen,Benjen, or Syrio either. Targaryens in the past have been known to be sorcerers,dabble in dark arts, and use glamours. One is definitely still alive, well sort of, well north of the wall. Another was the oldest maester alive until very recently passing away. The scrolls Rhaegar voraciously read as a child were most likely also read by any other preceding Targaryen that was interested in their contents. If Rhaegar is still alive , I'd bet he'd been in contact with one or both of his relatives at or beyond the wall and stayed in that general vicinity.

I'm okay with the theory that Rhaegar survived the battle at the Trident. Perhaps Darry did dress in his Prince's armor and die in his place. I appreciate the examples that the OP brings up where armor has been switched, it definitely lends a helping hand to this theory.

Beyond that, sorry, can't get on board. If Rhaegar survived, what would cause him to abandon his family and his duties and go to Braavos to play assassin for the next 15 years? Abandoning a newborn son that he believed helped to fulfill a prophecy, no less.

And the idea that Rhaegar=Jaquen=Syrio=Benjen is simply ridiculous. Faceless Men are good, but do the timelines even allow for the type of movement that would be necessary for Benjen to be at the Wall and Syrio to be in KL? Faceless Men are still men, they can't magically teleport wherever they want.

Well I definitely stated that the Benjen thing was the thing that I was least sure about. However when it comes to the timeline of events when he leaves the Wall and Syrio shows up at the Red Keep, it's totally doable. And in regards to Rhaegar abandoning his wife and kids, even if my theory is correct I don't think that that was his intention. He would've went to the Tower Of Joy to make sure Lyanna was safe. That's why he placed Gerold Hightower, Arthur Dayne, and Oswell Whent there. His family would've been wiped out before he went to Braavos, and I don't think that he thought things would go down the way they did at King's Landing. If Rhaegar did these things, he obviously thought that he was doing the right thing. But as I stated in the post, the only way we'll ever find out the truth is to hear it from his lips. He sort of needs to be alive so that the audience will understand, by the end of all this, why he did what he did. Otherwise his actions made no sense. Like I believe the popular theory that the High Sparrow is Howland Reed. I also believe that he will be the one to confirm to the world that Jon is the rightful heir. But regarding all this other stuff, only Rhaegar can explain his actions in all of this.

Archived