The Magicians - SyFy [SHOW SPOILERS ONLY]

RedEyedGhost

4 hours ago, Lady Olenna said:

Poppy is annoying but I love Felicia Day though  she made a statement that Poppy was a lot like her character Charlie in Supernatural, and that does not seem to be the case. I could have done without her hooking up with Quentin as it seemed forced and awkward, imo.  But really, this show is so absurd and funny that it all just makes me laugh - which is why I’m enjoying it so much. 

Poppy is kinda like most of the characters on this show during the first season - dickish and douchy- before they developed further.

I certainly wished Penny would just fuck off and die during at least the first half of S1.

19 hours ago, Lady Olenna said:

But really, this show is so absurd and funny that it all just makes me laugh - which is why I’m enjoying it so much. 

It took me quite a while to catch on to this -- the huge change from the dreary dull as dishwater books to the television series -- that it is just as breezily silly dingbat bonkers as they can make it -- and then I loved it.

16 hours ago, Zorral said:

It took me quite a while to catch on to this -- the huge change from the dreary dull as dishwater books to the television series -- that it is just as breezily silly dingbat bonkers as they can make it -- and then I loved it.

I’ve not read the books so it’s all new to me. The first half of season 1 was hard for me to get through. Watching the characters go through the silly magical hand gestures was painful until I thought about how the actors must feel doing them and it cracked me up. Then some of the off the wall nutty writing hit me and I was hooked. Umber befouling the well made me laugh so hard. Margo’s dialogue alone is priceless. The writers certainly don’t seem afraid to address sexuality issues and topics like child rape (and the trauma of rape) which gives it some depth as well to offset the silliness. I didn’t expect to enjoy the show as much as I do. 

"Wombat!?  I said we wanted a trial by combat!"

"That is not as you say a thing here in Fillory."

I really enjoyed that episode.  That may be the first episode I rewatch soon after.  I'm a sucker for musical episodes I guess.

9 hours ago, Lady Olenna said:

The first half of season 1 was hard for me to get through. I didn’t expect to enjoy the show as much as I do. 

the premier seemed dry and stuffy like the boring England that the CS Lewis kids came back to after Narnia pooped them out.

5 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

really enjoyed that episode.  That may be the first episode I rewatch soon after.

Too also!     (I've been practicing for this moment for a while:)   See?  I was right about the first season of Glee being awesome!   (Before it was waylayed and hypergayed, it was inspirational through song).     

And the Faerie queen begins to look not so evil, if she's responding to the genocide of her people by humans she wouldn't have the luxury of trusting the human monarchs of Fillory to empathize with her people's plight, she'd have to just win on Fairie strength alone as a conqueror.   And the "army" they found growing in the field now looks more like desperate population replacement of those lost.

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 0:22 PM, Zorral said:

Bah humbug!

I had never heard of the books before the series started and I went out and read them. The books are excellent. But what are particularly excellent are the audio books. If you think the books were dull as dishwater, listen to the audio version. Get a library card.

6 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

"Wombat!?  I said we wanted a trial by combat!"

"That is not as you say a thing here in Fillory."

I really enjoyed that episode.  That may be the first episode I rewatch soon after.  I'm a sucker for musical episodes I guess.

Long live the queen, Queen Buffy!

While this wasn't completely sung, it was darn good. In fact, I'd say it was the best episode of the season. But dragging out the fairy plot has just been soooooooo damn painful.

This series has jumped the shark far too much.

8 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

and i gotta say... i enjoyed the Poppy-free episode... 

I was so worried she was going to pop in on their telepathic link, and I was so relieved when she didn't.

49 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Xena: Warrior Princess was the initiator of a musical bottle episode.

Just soze we don't forget.

I don't even remember that at all! :o 

eta: I did some quick research and the Buffy episode is still considered the gold standard for musical episodes.

And, more importantly, while the Xena was earlier (1998 v 2001) the Xena episode really only involved Xena and Gabrielle, whereas the Buffy episode involved the whole cast. And the Magicians involves pretty well the whole cast as well.

51 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I don't even remember that at all! :o 

eta: I did some quick research and the Buffy episode is still considered the gold standard for musical episodes.

And, more importantly, while the Xena was earlier (1998 v 2001) the Xena episode really only involved Xena and Gabrielle, whereas the Buffy episode involved the whole cast. And the Magicians involves pretty well the whole cast as well.

Nevermind then.  But u don't no how the ladiez responded to the Xena musical, and the so did  the reviewrs.

Give Xena her godded due, por favor, despite u not being there for it.

8 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Nevermind then.  But u don't no how the ladiez responded to the Xena musical, and the so did  the reviewrs.

Give Xena her godded due, por favor, despite u not being there for it.

Oh, I'll leave that to you, you're doing a fine job!

I don't remember ever seeing the episode, whereas I've seen the Buffy episode, which is marvellous. :)

Tuned in to Xena one time and saw the girls getting crucified.   That was odd.

If you like big music numbers, and you like this season's quest for keys, you might want to give a listen to Helloween's epic song Keeper of the Seven Keys.    It's timely!   It's topical!   And very rarely relevant in any way!    So act fast!     

Now that I've watched that episode 4 or 5 times, I think I can say I really, really liked it! And it connects more with Buffy, since in both cases a demon more or less causes the singing. I thought it was a nice touch have this German folklore demon shush them out with calls of schnell! schnell!

Any guesses who the 'he' was that the demon did this for?

I also have been wondering how the Library snatched Penny. Penny is working in the Underworld Library, because his contract signed him up for a lifetime and a million years after death, right? But he isn't actually dead, though his body died, he's trapped outside his body as a traveller, with no body to return to. So how did they grab him? He has no body to grab, and since he's not dead, no 'ghost' to grab. 

After all the emotion displayed during the singing of 'Under Pressure' and it's chorus of 'love, love, love', and the way Quentin and Alice looked at each other, I thought they were united again. Yet as soon as the book moves to Chapter 6, they're at each other's throats again. Wasn't unification of the eight of them the purpose of the Quest for key 5? Didn't they just undo everything?

And don't get me on the topic of deviations from the books.

10 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

And don't get me on the topic of deviations from the books.

It's been interesting to see when the show runners drop in chunks of book plot remixed into the larger season story arcs. It's not really fan service but they could easily just tell the story they want in the TV show at this point so it's funny that they bother. I do find myself thinking about  major book scenes that are left and if they'll be showing up as some point. 

8 hours ago, The Mother of The Others said:

Everyone in the underworld would be incorporeal , dead, and their solidity would match Penny's, or that's what I'm going with.  

The purpose of key five was that everything in their lives has led up to Josh.

And as for who the joy sucker's secret employer was , my answer is:  oh yeah, i forgot about that

The Underworld is for the dead, and I think it is the souls of the dead working there. While Penny’s body is ‘dead’, Penny is actually ‘travelling’ and I don’t agree they can snatch a traveler!

The power of the key is unifying them, and they are not unified after getting the key, even while holding it. I’m just disappointed that after all the significant looks made by Quentin and Alice to each other the bickering starts again.

And of course in the books

Spoiler

Quentin loves Alice and is very patient with her, bringing her back from her niffin existence. She needs time but he loves her always.

• 2 weeks later...

Has everyone stopped watching or something?

Two good episodes in a row! Although, frankly speaking, once I saw what was happening it reminded me of my years at Journalism school, where we would mock some of our fellow classmates for spending too much time interviewing each other.

I was actually taken by surprise when we saw the Beast.

I was wondering how the hell they were going to get Penny another body. The question is, are we now going to see two of him. Will original Penny be able to get out of the Underworld and enter that body, or is he stuck there? If he gets into Penny #2, will the librarians pop up and kidnap him back to the library, even though technically the new Penny didn't sign the contract? 

And which woman will he love? Will we see a threesome that's intellectually a foursome?

Having what's-her-face, the dead hedge witch, back will confuse a lot of people, one assumes.

And by the rules of time travel, can you really have two #6 keys existing?

Archived