The Magicians - SyFy [SHOW SPOILERS ONLY]

RedEyedGhost

One thing pissed me off.

When Julie and the Beast go to see the house where the people are murdered and their hearts removed, he finds a card which he shows to Julia. It's supposed to be a big hint of some kind of ritual.

The picture he shows is a picture of a Madonna and Christ child. I can't find a shot of the picture used, but it's very similar to this one, the Black Madonna, a sacred icon at a shrine in Poland. http://www.eoccna.org/images/archbishop/czestochowa1.jpg

The view too quick for me to be certain it was the icon, but the dress was flowered in a similar style and the mother and child were in the same position, so at the very least it's a close copy.  I almost spit in anger, because the suggestion is that some kind of satanic ritual (maybe not Satan, but something evil) is involved. I just wanted to say to the writers, go fuck yourselves.

27 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

The view too quick for me to be certain it was the icon, but the dress was flowered in a similar style and the mother and child were in the same position, so at the very least it's a close copy.  I almost spit in anger, because the suggestion is that some kind of satanic ritual (maybe not Satan, but something evil) is involved. I just wanted to say to the writers, go fuck yourselves.

I'm pretty sure it was the same image that Julia's group prayed to for their "goddess?"  Meaning Reynard was using the same trick on another group of wannabe magicians.  I'm looking on Netflix now.

5 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I'm pretty sure it was the same image that Julia's group prayed to for their "goddess?"  Meaning Reynard was using the same trick on another group of wannabe magicians.  I'm looking on Netflix now.

If that's so, I missed it the first time around. I don't know what the heck was going on with my brain the first time around, but I caught most of the series on a replay and saw so much that I missed the first time. Not that picture, though.

7 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

That was my initial reaction as well. I immediately thought of what's her face and her mother being killed in front of the Virgin Mary icon. Also, didn't Julia have some sort of vision last season of a goddess that resembled the Virgin Mary? My recollection of last season is a bit hazy as far as the details are concerned.

I had to look at the wiki. Our Lady Underground is the goddess they were trying to summon in the first season. Now I'm wondering if such a goddess exists in the world of The Magicians or if it is just a front of Reynard the Fox to trick people into summoning him.

4 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Yeah, that's definitely a picture of the Black Madonna icon.  The fuckers couldn't have one of their artists draw a Madonna and Child of their own creation so they didn't have to insult somebody's sacred image?

Because a trickster god was using it to eat people's devoted hearts, and they probably wanted something old and recognizable to give it weight to its would be worshippers?  

19 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Because a trickster god was using it to eat people's devoted hearts, and they probably wanted something old and recognizable to give it weight to its would be worshippers?  

Unless you're Polish you probably don't recognize it.

I've only read Volume 3 of The Magicians, and I don't remember such a goddess being mentioned.

From wikipedia:

Our Lady Underground - old fertility goddess from Provence. She carries a staff in one hand and in the other a nest with three eggs, and half her face is always in shade to signify the half the year she spends in the underworld. She is old enough that her name has been lost, so the Murs magicians name her after a statue, Notre Dame Sous Terre, which is one of the Black Madonnas that bear her influence.

Yeah there are hundreds of Black Madonnas in Europe. I don't think the writers were trying to offend anyone by using such icons in the show. If I remember correctly, they also used statues of other gods such as Athena  to represent the earth goddess to show just how ancient this goddess was. I find it interesting, and rather fitting from the writers standpoint, that such a goddess is represented in these various religions, attesting to how ancient she may be, pre-dating all these "new" religions.The writers may have just been lazy or careless when choosing the image, but I can't say I was offended by their use.

I may have a different point of view, since my family is from the area and I have been to the shrine in Jasna Gora. It seems like someone said, oh look here's a pretty picture, let's use it. It doesn't look like anything described in that Wikipedia quote, which I assume comes from the book, of a woman holding a staff in one hand and a nest with three eggs in the other. And if you look up images from Notre Dame Sous Terre, the statue in the chapel is of a seated woman with Jesus on her lap, not an icon.

Perhaps  they used Our Lady Underground because it sounded quite appropriate for an earth goddess. It's seems clear they wanted to use a Black Madonna in the show since the earth goddess was represented in the show as a black woman. Was Our Lady Underground named in the novels, or is she a creation of the showrunners? Either way, somebody didn't do their homework when choosing the image.

22 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I've only read Volume 3 of The Magicians, and I don't remember such a goddess being mentioned.

The goddess is a significant part of the plot in the second book. They're not clear on exactly which goddess they're dealing with which

Spoiler

turns out to be a very serious problem resulting in the death of nearly the entire group.

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing in particular...  The Expanse ate my attention.

Eliot's embarrassment at being the perfect King for a society that forgot how to farm was amusing, but was waiting for President Camacho to tell me what plants crave.

Also, the Beast's perfect singing voice is indeed horrifying.

Archived