The Magicians - SyFy [SHOW SPOILERS ONLY]

RedEyedGhost

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2017 at 11:12 AM, Werthead said:

Watched four episodes of this now. It's cheap, badly-written, exploitative and cheesy, featuring hateful characters whose deaths you actively root for and no interesting story arc of any kind.

This makes it extremely true to the book, but it's not making for compelling viewing. Does it improve?

We just watched season one on Netflix. My opinion matched Wert's until episode 8 or so. About the time they went to the author's house. Then I got hooked. Before then, it was just something we watched while eating lunch.

Honestly, Penny was the only thing that kept us watching. I liked Julia's story (how does someone push forward after not getting into her dream profession) but really disliked the actress. Hated Q. Honestly, I disliked almost all the characters. I think I liked Penny because he says to them what I'm thinking. :lol:  The show started getting good post-Antarctica and must see after visiting Glover's house.

We finished season 1 last night, so I'll be catching up on season 2 probably by the weekend. :) 

16 hours ago, Starkess said:

I am actually really enjoying season 2. I think they've found a decent groove for all the characters and I am enjoying not knowing the twists of the story adaptation.

I agree. Seems like they've gotten more comfortable with basically everything as they've gotten further and further away from the source material. I'm okay with it.

On 3/16/2017 at 0:19 AM, RedEyedGhost said:

That episode had the worst commercial transitions of any single episode of television I've ever seen. Every single one of them was jarring.

Yep, they practically cut people off mid-sentence.

• 3 weeks later...

What did I miss - why were they unable to take both Julia's and Alice's shades from the underworld?  

I like how they revealed why Reynard was specifically target people that were praying to Our Lady of the Underground.  I like what they're doing with that storyline. 

Fucking millennials! :lol:

I think that Quentin will now once again call back Alice and reunite her with her shade. I suspect you're right Pliskin, no shadeless body, no shade.

I've only read the last book. Since everything seems to be different anyway, maybe this will happen to bring back Alice as a regular?

9 hours ago, Pliskin said:

I didn't get it either.

I can only guess that maybe a shade needs a body to go back (and Quentin already has his shade). So will Julia fuse with Alice's shade?

That would make sense, but it's not like they're going in or out through normal channels.

Archived