The Magicians - SyFy [SHOW SPOILERS ONLY]

RedEyedGhost

41 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

That is what character Felicia Day is playing.  I still haven't read the books, so I don't know the significance.

Ah....I should have looked at the link. I don't know the actress at all. so I didn't bother as I assumed it wouldn't mean anything.

Well, if you haven't read the books then maybe this means we will see Josh in Venice. Or not. Because Josh is quite different in the books. Maybe they will boost his character now?

On the other hand, Julia's arc went through an apartment in New York instead of the south of France, so maybe we won't see Venice. Poppy should be fun, especially since the article mentions a Quest. I guess we will see a Quest, then!

ETA: And of course, Poppy is holding a key.... :P

2 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Ah....I should have looked at the link. I don't know the actress at all. so I didn't bother as I assumed it wouldn't mean anything.

Don't you watch Supernatural? Or am I thinking of somebody else?  She was on that as a recurring character.  Terrible actress.

1 hour ago, SpaceChampion said:

Didn't they finish off two books of material already?  Anyone know if this is the last season or are they planning on stretching it out?

If they are introducing Poppy now, we are in Book 2.

I think I read they were aiming for 5 seasons.

1 hour ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Don't you watch Supernatural? Or am I thinking of somebody else?  She was on that as a recurring character.  Terrible actress.

I used to, then I got bored by it. :P  It has been around a very long time.

3 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I used to, then I got bored by it. :P  It has been around a very long time.

Looks like her first appearance was way back in season 7.  Her character's name was Charlie.

I've actually been really enjoying this season (and last), but it might be because I'm starved for some urban fantasy now that Grimm's off the air.  I don't think it is, I think it actually has gotten a lot better, but I'm not 100% sure.  It does help that

Mark Pellegrino is back.

16 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Didn't they finish off two books of material already?  Anyone know if this is the last season or are they planning on stretching it out?

They've deviated so far from the source material now that there's really no point in comparing books vs. show in terms of how much plot they've gotten through. At least half of what happened last season didn't happen in the books at all.

3 hours ago, matt b said:

They've deviated so far from the source material now that there's really no point in comparing books vs. show in terms of how much plot they've gotten through. At least half of what happened last season didn't happen in the books at all.

Yes, but if Poppy is now going to show up I am assuming that plot line will be followed. My expectation is that Season 3 will cover the major points of Book 2 and Seasons 4 and 5 will cover Book 3, ending up in the same place, kinda like GoT. Plus their extras.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been watching this off and on forever on netflix.  I'm nearly finished with the second season.  I don't understand how such tedious, insufferable characters can be addictive -- in a quite mild way, but still.  It must be the actors?

They got the tone right for adult lion/witch/wardrobe action , and hooked me with the world of wonders that's crashing into the dippy characters.  So it doesn't matter what abhorent nonsense they say because like in chem class they're just there to fizz and pop, less characters and more like props upon which the physics of magic play havoc for our jollies.

The first season was insufferable, as far as I was concerned.  The second season seemed improved.  Maybe it was getting out of Brakebills so much, detatching Eliot from earth, Eliot, who, for reasons I cannot fathom, is addictively, entrancingly watchable, which surely Eliot would agree with 100%.  He keeps reminding me of someone I know, but I cannot recall who that is.

Penny is also supremely watchable, and most likeable.

I find Margo, who is now Bambi????, much more watchable than in the first season too.

There are times within most episodes that are just out-and-out bonkers, which is probably what keeps me watching.  I also admire how much they accomplish in terms of costumes, decor and magic out of what is surely a relatively small budget. Bright should have taken lessons.

I found the books unreadable, btw.  So thankfully it seems the series is quite different? 

• 2 weeks later...

Just a reminder that the season starts again this week, on Wednesday in Canada, I don't know if it's a different day in the US.

I just rewatched the last 4 shows from season 2, and now that I've read all the books I really find it disturbing to see how much has changed. For one thing, Quentin keeps getting blamed for stuff, like ending magic because he killed Ember. That doesn't happen until the end of book 3 and it's extremely logical when it happens. In book lore it's the events Julia was involved with that brought back the old gods, because, duh, the group called back the old gods, and magic doesn't actually shut down, it just starts to break down and the gods are in the process of dismantling the Netherlands, where magic is centered.

I also listened to all the books, having trotted off to the library to get a card, which let me borrow audible books on my phone. I highly recommend joining your library and taking advantage of audible books, if they have that available. I'm getting caught up on all kinds of books!

43 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I just rewatched the last 4 shows from season 2, and now that I've read all the books I really find it disturbing to see how much has changed.

I had to give up watching because of this.  Is anyone who really loves the books able to watch the tv series and enjoy it?  Or is it just people who haven't read the books or didn't like the books that enjoy the tv version?  I wish I could enjoy it.

7 hours ago, lady narcissa said:

I had to give up watching because of this.  Is anyone who really loves the books able to watch the tv series and enjoy it?  Or is it just people who haven't read the books or didn't like the books that enjoy the tv version?  I wish I could enjoy it.

I love the books, and I enjoyed the first season. But the second season was too different from the books.

I wonder if I am the only one who was bothered with the ethnic composition of the Fillorians in the second season. In the books, every human in the kingdom of Fillory is white. In the TV show most are white, but there are also many black men and women in the population. Not that I have anything against seeing black people in the show, but there hasn't been any explanation for the diversity. The Fillorian society seems to be post-racial, no one cares about skin colour. But that has to be a recent development, because the black people are really dark (they haven't merge in the white population). Is there some kind of apartheid still going in marriage customs? Ore are the black people recent immigrants? The Lorians are supposed to look like Vikings, but in the show they have a black king. The population of Kindom of Loria seems to be ethnically similar to Fillorians in the TV series.

I just wish there would be an explanation. It's like you are watching Game of Thrones and suddenly some villagers in Westeros would be black, and no explanation is given. Changing the ethnicity of Penny and Dean Fogg didn't bother me at all.

9 hours ago, lady narcissa said:

I had to give up watching because of this.  Is anyone who really loves the books able to watch the tv series and enjoy it?

I definitely enjoy both. Faithfulness to source material has never been very important to me with regards to adaptations. And considering how many book adaptations are out there nowadays I find it refreshing that one just says, "fuck it, we're doing our own thing." I mean, I already know how the books went, why do I need to see that story told again? Maybe if I felt a bit more strongly about the story told in the books my opinion would be different, but I like the fact that even though I've already read the books the show can still surprise me.

I recall really disliking this show when it came out.  Recently I watched both seasons on Netflix after picking up the first book from a free box.  I only read a few chapters before deciding to move on to trying out the show again.  I liked it a bit more once I got past the hump in season 1 adn then really enjoyed season 2.  Perhaps seeing it all at once helped.  I'm looking forward to the new season, though wonder if binging it at all once might work better.  I'm going to skip the books for now after seeing many say the difference made them enjoy it less. 

1 hour ago, SpaceChampion said:

I enjoyed the subtitles for Elliot & Margo's geek-speak code.

Lol, I was about to make the same comment! I especially enjoyed the fact Elliot hadn't actually read anything.

Once again we are going way off the books. In the books, the quest is all in Fillory. Looks like some of the keys may be back on Earth, since the message is 'the first key may be in Fillory'. At least they are going to the Outer Islands. Hey, maybe Quentin, Poppy and Julia and Josh will in fact end up in Fillory together the same way as in the books. Maybe we will see a dragon again, since Poppy is a dragon researcher.

The stuff about the lamprey and Alice is weird. I guess they had to create a plot to keep Alice, since Alice is completely out of Book 2. Maybe the lamprey will be a dragon substitute? And that was the ugliest plate of bacon I've ever seen.

How come Penny can travel? Isn't that magic? Penny is so much more of a real person than the twit in the books.

And I'm not crazy about the fairy sub-plot. The Cock seems a very childish joke, but his comment sounded like a big hint the Quest will take the entire season, right?

Archived