The Magicians - SyFy [SHOW SPOILERS ONLY]

RedEyedGhost

On 4/13/2016 at 9:38 AM, denstorebog said:

If anyone's interested in how the books handle the time loops and The Beast's connection to Julia, here's a pretty non-show-spoiling explanation:

Hide contents

The books don't have either of these. There is no such thing as a time loop going on at all. And Julia isn't in the plot at all. Book 1 is about the group's entanglements and confrontation with the beast, and book 2 is a flashback to what Julia was doing outside of Brakebills meanwhile. The two plots are completely separate.

Sorry, no, that's incorrect.

Spoiler

There absolutely *is* a time loop in the book. They just aren't aware of it until the end, when Jane (who is not dead in the book) reveals that they have done it over and over and this was the best outcome she had gotten to--the Beast being killed. Q tries to make her re-do it and find a solution that doesn't involve Alice going niffin, and Jane refuses because they have finally killed the Beast. But yes, you are correct that Julia is not involved in this storyline in the book. 

• 3 months later...

Cool!

I re-watched almost all the episodes on a repeat, and I picked up so much that I missed the first time around.

I also found a remaindered copy of book three, and figured I probably knew enough at this point in time so that I could read it without trouble.  There were a few unusual events, but it read just fine.  I'm trying to find a remaindered copy of volumes one and two.  :)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Watched four episodes of this now. It's cheap, badly-written, exploitative and cheesy, featuring hateful characters whose deaths you actively root for and no interesting story arc of any kind.

This makes it extremely true to the book, but it's not making for compelling viewing. Does it improve?

55 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Watched four episodes of this now. It's cheap, badly-written, exploitative and cheesy, featuring hateful characters whose deaths you actively root for and no interesting story arc of any kind.

This makes it extremely true to the book, but it's not making for compelling viewing. Does it improve?

If that's your feelings after 4 episodes, I highly doubt you'll enjoy the rest.

The fourth episode was quite possibly the worst episode of any show I've watched in a year. If you're going to do the "is the character really crazy and in a lunatic asylum?" story, you have to be clever to get around the "Quite blatantly no, this is stupid," problem. Ash vs. Evil Dead did a splendid job of making it work in its second season. This really didn't.

Powered through the next couple of episodes and it managed to get even worse. I'm just watching to completion so I can review the thing. Quite remarkably awful.

14 hours ago, Werthead said:

The fourth episode was quite possibly the worst episode of any show I've watched in a year. If you're going to do the "is the character really crazy and in a lunatic asylum?" story, you have to be clever to get around the "Quite blatantly no, this is stupid," problem. Ash vs. Evil Dead did a splendid job of making it work in its second season. This really didn't.

Powered through the next couple of episodes and it managed to get even worse. I'm just watching to completion so I can review the thing. Quite remarkably awful.

I hated the asylum episode.

I stuck through watching it until the end, and starting getting into the series, but as I said ages ago, it's sort of like an American Harry Potter with older and obnoxious characters.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11.1.2017 at 4:12 PM, Werthead said:

I would never watch 13 episodes of a show that I hate just to write a review. Sounds quite unhealthy. But then again, hate-watching is not my thing. If I really dislike a show, I stop watching after one episode. If it is mildly bad, I can check the next one or two episodes, then stop. Watching a lousy show doesn't give me any satisfaction or entertainment. There are so many interesting TV series which I don't have time to watch!

I love Grossman's novels, The Magician's Land was the best book I read last year. In my opinion the TV series is pretty good, faithful to the spirit of the books. Looking forward to season two.

14 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

So, why 90's trivia?  Someone from the 90's went back in time, to whenever there was last a set of monarchs of Fillory, and ruled then?  Was there previous monarchs?

Not too sure, but Elliott or Quentin, forget which, mentioned time passing different between Earth and Fillory, when they said their goodbyes to each other. Maybe that has something to do with it? Fillory is basically Narnia.

But Elliott definitely should have quoted Swayze's greatest film, Roadhouse, and not Dirty Dancing. Missed opportunity.

Overall, decent first episode. I'm still much more interested in Julia's arc than the others.

Archived