Arya stays, but goodbye Maisie?

The Emberheart

I'm just realistic.

Who is telling you that?

Those characters are more important. The mountain is obviously a big deal to Cersei and Sandor, Daario is a big deal to Dany, and Myrcella is a Lannister.

Do you watch Game of Thrones?

That is way too tedious and confusing for a plotline that already has people confused. I'm willing to bet my life that they cut Maisie from the payroll and replace her for good.

That would be grand. I'm certain many would encourage you to follow through on that.

"Personally, I find Lena gorgeous.

Those of you who are especially young really have no sense of beauty because the media praise certain celebrities who aren't particularly gorgeous, creating really distorted perceptions."

Well, I too find her really beautiful. But I just don't see her as this "medieval" beauty that she should be like in the books. I even think Lena as Cersei looks more like a beautiful modern day woman, which, I don't think fits the standard of beauty for the medieval people. The ones who kinda fit the standard are Melisandre and Sansa.

Also, yes, beauty is subjective. But you can't deny it, different times have different standards of beauty aswell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xrp0zJZu0a4

beauty is subjective, but 'trends' heavily inluence it. Personally, I see beauty in every shape and size, but since this thread has been discussing about Maisie's beauty, I just thought I'd share that make-up and contouring(I'm a make-up artist/stylist for pageant hopefuls in my country) can change her to face to make her "beautiful" either by media's standards of beauty or the Medieval age's standard. That was my point.

Also, english isn't my first language, so sorry if I'm making grammatical errors.

:lmao: Medieval beauty isn't anything like Melisandre and Sansa on the show. They're both pretty modern beauties.

Have you seen medieval iconography?The standards were very different from today. Neither Sophie nor Lena fit, and Soph, at my height, would have towered over the vast majority of medieval men. We'd have been giantesses.

Google "medieval beauty" and see what comes up if you don't believe me.

Anyway, there's nothing wrong with the way Maisie looks. She's adorable. One thing I hate most about the new millennium is that it seems as if beauty standards have narrowed quite a bit since I came of age many years ago B.C. Anyone who's not off the cookie cutter assembly line isn't seen as worth anything these days. Maisie is talented, has a great personality, and is working steadily. She seems to have tons of fun with her friends and family, and once the time comes, she'll likely land a partner that will make traditional beauties green. Girls like that generally do...

Because you know, many readers and viewers seem to think that Lyanna Stark (book spoilers)...

...was this drop-dead gorgeous siren when everyone remembering her says otherwise except Ned (her brother) and Robert (her betrothed). But we know from canon that the beauties of that generation were Cersei Lannister and Catelyn Tully. Cersei ended up unhappy in love, and Cat found the love of her life in a secondhand match, but it was tomboyish and plain

Lyanna who tore the realm apart with the Crown Prince and the future King fighting to the death over her. We don't have their POVs about it, but the women of that generation are STILL likely scratching their heads over that one. We know Barbrey Dustin is, at least.

I also can recount many, many real life examples of this phenomenon.

It makes me, as a mature woman who's lived and loved well, shake my head and say "you know nothing, Jon Snow" to those who are throwing shade at Maisie's looks or comparing her to Sophie when you can appreciate them both instead. A few of you have a lot more living to do...

What's saddest is that these two young women seem to adore each other and are close in real life. Too bad we get troll threads like this even here, but if you ask me, the OP's gripes belong on the trashier parts of the web.

How so? They've recast characters before with less reason. Daario, the Mountain, Beric, Myrcella, Tommen, etc.

Yeah but with Daario and the Mountain I don't think they had a choice. I don't disagree with you about there being better actresses than Maise but nobody likes when they recast a character especially one who has been as prominent as Arya has been.

I wouldn't say that she's perfect for Arya given that she doesn't actually look like her aside from being brown haired and petite. Book Arya has dark grey eyes not whatever color Maisie's are-either green or blue. Book Arya has a long face not a round baby face like Maisie. Book Arya is scrawny but given that she was able to do gymnastics and with the water dancing training she should be more toned. I read an interview by GRRM on tumblr once where he said he imagined Arya more wolfish, long-faced, and sharp featured but Maisie has captured the role nonetheless. IA. Her not looking like Arya was not a dealbreaker for me although I do dislike the things she said about the character especially since she doesn't read the books. Anyways, if she's doing it wrong it's the material that she's been given and not necessarily her.

Anyway, there's nothing wrong with the way Maisie looks. She's adorable. One thing I hate most about the new millennium is that it seems as if beauty standards have narrowed quite a bit since I came of age many years ago B.C. Anyone who's not off the cookie cutter assembly line isn't seen as worth anything these days. Maisie is talented, has a great personality, and is working steadily. She seems to have tons of fun with her friends and family, and once the time comes, she'll likely land a partner that will make traditional beauties green. Girls like that generally do...

Because you know, many readers and viewers seem to think that Lyanna Stark (book spoilers)...

...was this drop-dead gorgeous siren when everyone remembering her says otherwise except Ned (her brother) and Robert (her betrothed). But we know from canon that the beauties of that generation were Cersei Lannister and Catelyn Tully. Cersei ended up unhappy in love, and Cat found the love of her life in a secondhand match, but it was tomboyish and plain

Lyanna who tore the realm apart with the Crown Prince and the future King fighting to the death over her. We don't have their POVs about it, but the women of that generation are STILL likely scratching their heads over that one. We know Barbrey Dustin is, at least.

I also can recount many, many real life examples of this phenomenon.

It makes me, as a mature woman who's lived and loved well, shake my head and say "you know nothing, Jon Snow" to those who are throwing shade at Maisie's looks or comparing her to Sophie when you can appreciate them both instead. A few of you have a lot more living to do...

What's saddest is that these two young women seem to adore each other and are close in real life. Too bad we get troll threads like this even here, but if you ask me, the OP's gripes belong on the trashier parts of the web.

Not really though given that

Osha said she was beautiful based on her depiction from the tomb. Arya said everyone said she was beautiful so those at WF remembered her as such. Jamie said Robert fought for a pretty face. He could have seen her at Harrenhal. Kevan was biased and did not say she was unattractive only that he thought Cersei was more attractive. Cersei likely never even met her. The one who there is no proof to have ever met her is the one who thinks of her as plain. Lady Dustin didn't comment on her looks. Barriston said Elia was plain and didn't comment on her looks either. Howland Reed's story also doesn't comment on her looks. There's more evidence to her being good looking than her being plain. That doesn't mean she had to be the best looking though. That subjective.

Maisie is not really comparable I think. ETA: I mean in the way of she would never be regarded as beautiful unlike Lyanna. At best maybe cute or pretty but I think there's a reason why of the actresses she gets less mainstream attention and it's tied to her looks. I'd say the great beauty of the past was Ashara. She was the one who had all those men trying to dance with her. But on a personal level the male characters may have preferred Cersei, Lyanna, or Cat.

I personally think that she is unattractive in that British way. The Daily Mail made nasty comments about her looks, I've seen on lj comments from people about disliking Arya solely because they thought the actress was ugly, and Maisie said people have called her ugly to her face. But there's the other end since many thought she was too good looking to be Arya.

Maisie may be adorable. She has that round baby face which can come off as adorable. Arya was sharp featured and likely would never give off adorable except as a toddler.

Oh, and unrelated but as for the sexing up of the character the original chapter was supposed to be more explicit anyways with the gap and since he took out the gap he had to revise it.

I've only read the first few posts but...

AGE.DOES.NOT.MATTER.

The timeline for the show is not the same as the books. They've kept the timeline ambiguous on the show but we've been told years have passed since the first season. Maisie Williams is not stuck playing an 11 year old Arya. The character will age on screen, just like Maisie. Same applies to Sophie and Isaac. They're all very good actors and D&D have sung their praises. All the actions the characters in the book do perfectly translate (and sometimes translate better) to older characters.

I think Arya will change faces but never give up Arya completely (at least until the series finale, maybe). I think some guest actors will briefly jump in and play Arya with another face but Maisie will still have the bulk of screentime as that character.

GRRM has said time & again that he originally intended for the kids to age up throughout the story but then ended up having to keep them young for writing reasons. The characters in the show are already significantly aged up from the books, and it makes sense that these increasingly older characters will have to face increasingly adult situations as they grow throughout the story. With all that in mind, I just can't understand why people cannot accept the characters becoming adults. It makes perfect sense narratively. It may even make more sense than how it was originally written (Tin hat firmly on for that last comment).

Jon becoming leader of NW, Daenerys becoming the dragon queen, Sansa becoming a player of the game, Arya becoming an assassin, Bran becoming a greenseer... These are all coming of age tales.

Now with regards to Arya having to change her face; I'd be incredibly surprised if they got rid of one of their most popular actresses purely on that basis. At most, they'll show her change face a few times, while always returning to her original self. It would make no sense from a TV, business, or audience investment point of view.

How so? They've recast characters before with less reason. Daario, the Mountain, Beric, Myrcella, Tommen, etc.

Are you seriously comparing a bunch of minor secondary characters to Arya? Arya is main character who has been around since the beginning (she's also the only character with a POV in every book), she's not going to be recast. Also, Maisie has done an amazing job so far imo.

Maisie's gotten critical acclaim for her portrayal of Arya. What are people talking about? Especially since she wasn't even in this episode?

This thread is ridiculous. I'm done.

Yeah, Maisie is a beautiful girl, and more important, she's a really, really good actress. Removing her would be idiotic.

As far as medieval standards of beauty: Sophie works, not as a medieval beauty, but as a Renaissance Italian beauty. 15-16th century Italian artists would have killed to capture her profile. She could be 15th-16th century Flemish-German, too. Maisie is adorable, and would be considered attractive in any era.

Oh, please.

Maisie doesn't look young enough, but Sophie Turner is ok? Natalie Dormer? Emilia Clarke? Hell, even Gwendoline is supposed to be a young adult!

And how can you complain about Arya not looking like her book-counterpart? Except for Ned, Cat and Benjen, none of the Starks look like their counterparts.

Archived