The Book of the New Sun First Read and Re-read project [spoilers]

Fragile Bird

4 hours ago, Jo498 said:

Apparently this came to nothing. Or did I miss an actual thread? Anyone still interested?

Nobody took charge so it came to nothing. I'm definitely still interested! Been almost a year since my last reread....

This is probably futile, but I am asking again if there are any takers for starting this together.

Otherwise I will start reading the second half in a week or so and then I am not going to do a re-read anytime soon.

Ok, ok, ok.....I got busy, then my copy of the book disappeared.

But I found it.  :P

Shall we all read the....first 6 chapters, which is 48 pages in my copy, to the end of The Master of the Curators, and get together on Sunday night or on Monday to start discussing it?

Then to the end of Chapter 15, The Baldanders, roughly another 50 pages.

Or do to the end of 15, roughly 100 pages?  I'd rather do 50 at a time, because those chapters are chock-a-block full of ideas.  The chapters are too short to do a day or two per chapter.

The more, the merrier!

A quick check shows that my edition of the first two volumes has about 600 pages. So with 50 pages a week we would need 6 weeks for "The shadow of the torturer" and the same amount for the other volumes, together 24 weeks, almost half a year. Is this too slow or too fast?

I like weekly milestones with some flexibility and so that I can continue reading other books in the background too. I don't mind if all 4 books spreads out over several months. It gets dense and it will be fun to unpick some of the developments.

I'll buy a new Kindle copy for this reread and I'll see if the companion book is available on Kindle too.

1 hour ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I like weekly milestones with some flexibility and so that I can continue reading other books in the background too. I don't mind if all 4 books spreads out over several months. It gets dense and it will be fun to unpick some of the developments.

I'll buy a new Kindle copy for this reread and I'll see if the companion book is available on Kindle too.

Oooooh, that's a good idea.  I should buy a kindle copy too.

1 minute ago, BookWyrm2 said:

I just started this series (first reread). I'd love to join (Also hello Fragile Bird! It's been ages - I hope you're doing well!).

The weekly pace sounds nice. This series deserves careful attention

Hey there, BookWyrm!  Glad to have you in on this!

ETA:  Oh, doing fine, thank-you!

You should not feel compelled to give summaries for all chapters if it feels like hard work. Just give us SOMETHING to start a discussion with so that others can contribute.

I second Jo498 - just enough of a reminder or tickler is good enough for me.  Don't kill yourself reaching for perfection, but save your energy for your commentary, which is what I am interested in.

Archived