(Book Spoilers) What changes from books to show would you have made and how would they impact season 5?

WSmith84

So, basically, you are a show-runner adapting ASOIAF. What changes/streamlining would you have made, at any point, and how would this have impacted season 5?

My personal thoughts:

Dorne

I enjoy Dorne very much in the books, but I appreciate it has flaws. I might have chosen to omit Dorne entirely from the show (although this would reduce Oberyn's death somewhat) in favour of a greater focus on the Ironborn. But since I really love Arianne, I would include it but introduce Arianne in S4 with Oberyn in KL. I would also have cut the Sand Snakes (as in simply not have them appear) and cut Quentyn as well (I think I would have cut Aegon out, unfortunately).

Riverlands

I would have brought up in S4E01 that Riverrun had been occupied by the BF before the Freys could get there and that the Freys had laid siege. Then have Cersei send Jaime to resolve things at the start of S5. I would have kept Jaime's Riverlands tour brief, but include his meetings with Genna, the BF and Edmure. Have him finish in Riverrun and his meeting with Brienne. Also, have mentions of dead Freys, or even a scene where Jaime finds some dead Freys. Would have made a nice visual, a bunch of dead Freys hanging from a huge tree. Very eerie. Also, mention the BwB.

Brienne and Pod would have had brief screentime, but again with rumours of dead Freys. Have Brienne talk with Pod about her life and her guilt over her perceived failures (Renly, Catelyn). Have her run into Gendry in pretty much the same way as the books, be captured and taken to LS.

KL

Would have given the Sparrows more backstory and sympathy. Would not have aged up Tommen and would have had Cersei try to frame Margaery for infidelity (like in the books).

The North

I definitely would not have shoe-horned Sansa's stuff into this. Instead, I might have omitted the fArya plotline altogether and cast some Northern Lords (Manderly, Umber, maybe Karstark) and have that be the focus. Then send some Freys to Winterfell to aid in the fight against Stannis (along with the reluctant Northerners) and have the tension build and sizzle.

At the Wall, I would have slowed the pace a bit and would remove Jon's participation in the Hardhome expedition, but otherwise keep things as they are. Would have them mention the WW as the main threat more often though.

Anyway, these are just some of the changes I would have made. There's probably stuff that wouldn't work in my adaption, but there it is. What would your adaptions and streamlining look like?

This is my take on Dorne:

I would keep both Arianne and Quentyn. Arianne, Sand Snakes and their supporters only try to remove Doran from power (Crowning Myrcella is needed to fulfill the prophecy, but this time it might be omitted if she will receive a reall crown next season after the death of Tommen). Also instead of Nymeria (whose functions as envoy to KL I would give to Ellaria) I would have Sarella as 3rd "adult sand snake".

In the very first Dornish scene I would have all major Dornish characters gather for the funeral of Oberyn. Sandsnakes request vengeance from Doran, while Ellaria is more reasonable. Later in the same episode: Sandsnakes meet Arianne and hatch a plan to depose Doran, meanwhile Ellaria is present at the secret meeting of Doran with Quentyn – the episode would end with Fire and Blood monologue delivered by Doran directly to Quent.

Next episode will have departure of Quent for Mereen and Ellaria backfor Kingslanding, it would be fun to have her sit on small council on Doran's behalf and have catty talks with Sersei and the rest (she might also take over some of book Taenna Marryweather functions).

Dornish coup can be resolved in just 1-2 episodes as in the show – but with better fights, much more people involved and much more bloodshed (and no Jaime) Obara escapes, the rest are arrested.

Jaime and Bronn kidnap Myrcella later (in a more believable and dramatic manner). But as they try to leave Dorn they come across Obara, who maims Myrcella and kills Bronn, escaping again while Jaime and wounded Myrcella are apprehended by Areo.

This point forward we might only have a brief glimpse of Aryanne and Snakes in prison, they will reappear only in the last episode when they are pardoned and sent on assignment by Doran (to Storms End, KL and Oldtown). Jaime, who is turn with guilt over his actions that led to Myrcellas disfigurement, is sent to find Obara.

As to the Quentyn and friends - ideally I would have an extend journey , with him possibly briefly meeting Victarion or Griffs on the way, but if we are limited with 10 episode season, he might be shown only in the beginning in Dorne and at the end, meeting Danny around epp 8 and getting roasted in ep 10.

In a Simplified version I would combine Trystane with Quentyn, have the botched coronation of Myrcella part of the Ariannes coup,Jaime trying to kidnap Myrcella only to have her killed by Obara, Trystane sent to Danny, and the rest as above.

I would have cut Aeron Greyjoy (unless something in Winds changes his importance.)

The Kingsmoot would have been strictly Euron vs Victarion.

Victarion still gets the mission to go to Mereen.

We don't see him again until the Iron Born arrive at Mereen like Han Solo and the milenium falcon. Where he aids in the battle and pledges the Iron Islands to Dany in exchange for roasting Euron with a Dragon.

Arriane's plot would be relatively unchanged. (Seriously, the show couldn't spare one line of dialogue as to where that Kingsguard that Myrcella left with went?) But agreed with cutting the Sand Snakes.

If Fake Arya wasn't going to happen, I'd have married Ramsay to a Manderly girl. (I could see Wyman, head of the outsider family from the Reach playing the Bolton's by acting like the outcast who's desperate to solidify his status as Northerner.)

I would've set the House of Black and White in Dorne rather than Braavos.

I mean, we've hardly seen Braavos, the city, so the setting is virtually inconsequential, and the only thing it does is that it makes Arya feel more isolated from other characters.

Besides, the Dornish have a weird relationship with death anyway ("death isn't sacred to us Dornish" or whatever Arianne said it), and they have a past as immigrants/exiles, so they have that in common with the Faceless Men.

Anyway, so we get the scene in the books where Doran is moving through Sunspear in his carriage thingy and the smallfolk are all "War! To the spears!", and throwing fruit and shit at him, and Arya is there amidst the crowd, watching the whole thing.

Also, I'd have Arianne, one Sand Snake (Tyene, with a sprinkle of Obara's backstory/mommy issues), and kid Trystane.

We're introduced to Dorne by Oberyn's funeral in the season opener. We see Myrcella and Trystane laying flowers or something by the coffin, holding hands, to show that they do care for each other. Arianne is looking at the corpse from a certain distance, and Arys shows up next to her, in a scene mirroring Cersei and Jaime talking near Jon Arryn's body in the very first episode of the series. The conversation goes more or less like this:

Arys: "Your uncle will be missed, my Princess. He was a good man."

Arianne: "He was a dangerous man. Everyone knew that. My father, on the other hand, is as dangerous as a kitten. Who will scare away Dorne's enemies now that the viper is gone, I wonder?."

Arys: "Well, Prince Oberyn had a daughter."

Arianne *smiling* : "Yes, that he did."

Cut to Tyene knitting on the floor in the hall or court or whatever waiting for Doran. The scene from Feast plays out pretty much as it plays in the books. At the end, Doran commands the guards to take Tyene into custody, but she escapes. Doran orders Hotah to find her, Hotah says Doran will howl, Doran says he hopes Tywin hears it, etc, and we cut to Tywin dead in the shitter.

Anyway, we get some scenes with Arianne and Arys, etc.

For the Queenmaking plot we have Arianne, Arys, Tyene, and Darkstar. But the plot is a bit different, bigger: Jaime (or Loras) showed up to deliver Gregor's head, and Arianne plans to crown Myrcella during the feast. She thinks she has the loyalty of the garrison at Sunspear, but she doesn't, Hotah imprisons everyone, Darkstar cuts Myrcella's ear, etc.

Right now I can only think of changes for season three and four because when I got into the series seasons one and two had already aired. I read all five books between season two ending and season three airing. I only had expectations and speculation for everything past season two. So hypothetically if I had been handed the reigns in time to plot and shoot season three and onwards here is what I would do POV character by POV character and in broad strokes. The ASOS portion would be much more faithful to the book, the AFFC and ADWD stuff not 100% about considering all the new characters and stories to cover. I’d probably modify the heck out of that stuff, however, all of the Storm of Swords material except for the wall would be done by episode seven of season four.

Jaime:

Season three would be largely the same as what we got in the show. I’d stay closer to the book and start building towards Jaime not being such a villainous guy as early episode one, he’d talk to Brienne a lot and slowly open up to her. I don’t think I’d go the route of cutting the Bloody Mummers, he and Brienne would be captured around the end of episode two or three, he’d lose his hand around the end of episode four. Harrenhal, Qyburn, Bath house, Dinner with Roose Bolton, sent back to King’s Landing, returning for Brienne, etc. His scene in the penultimate (episode nine) would be the bear pit rescue. He would return to King’s Landing toward the end of the season four premiere, but he’d still miss Joffrey’s wedding in episode two. He’d primarily do a lot of the same stuff he did in the books: Golden hand, send Brienne to find Sansa, write in the book of the kings guard, beg Tywin to let Tyrion go to the wall, and let Tyrion go after the trial. Episode eight would have Tywin’s funeral, the rift between Jaime and Cersei growing, and episode ten would end with Jaime departing King’s Landing for where ever he goes. I don’t know if I would keep the Riverlands plot for season five.

Long before the show went the route I'd actually had a theory that Jaime would go to Dorne because Arys would die off screen and Jaime would be sent to investigate it and get Myrcella out. I might have tried to keep that story.

Catelyn:

Largely the same as what the show did since the show was reasonably close to the books here. She’d get a scene with Hoster Tully before he died. The funeral would be closer to episode four. Rickard Karstark would lose his head just the same. Robb’s will would make it into the show. The Red Wedding would be the final scenes of season three. S3E10, Catelyn’s death would end the season on that cliffhanger. I don’t know if I would kill Talisa at the Red Wedding and have the Blackfish there.

Arya:

Largely the same since it was fairly close to the book for season three, but she’d sit out a lot of the first half of season four. At least two of the first four episodes of season four would probably have no Arya and the Hound. Episode One would begin with Arya seeing the Red Wedding aftermath outside the Twins and the desecration of Robb’s body. In episode two she and the Hound would head towards the Vale. Around episode five we would catch back up with Arya and she would get Needle back from Polliver and his guys. Episode six she would split up from the Hound after he is badly wounded in a fight with a bunch of guy including Rorge and Biter. Episode seven she would encounter the ship captain and give him the iron coin, setting sail for Braavos. In episode ten she would arrive in Braavos and be accepted into the House of Black and White.

Sansa:

Largely the same for season three but I probably wouldn’t cut Willas Tyrell. He’s at Highgarden, no need to even bother casting him it’s not like he affects the budget. She’d bond a lot with Margaery, in episode one she’d meet the Queen of Thorns like in the book. Her marriage to Tyrion and Loras joining the Kingsguard would be in episode eight or nine. Season four I’d stick to the book as well, except Dontos. At some point in either season three or four he’d give Sansa the necklace, and he would accompany Sansa and Baelish to the Vale to take the role of Marillion. When Littlefinger pushes Lysa out the moon door in the very last scene of episode seven he’d blame Dontos instead of Marillion. In episode eight she’d testify to defend Littlefinger and he’d become lord of the Vale. Sansa would start to go along with Littlefinger’s plans like the show did. Her last scene would be dying her hair and taking fully adopting the identity of Alayne Stone, Petyr’s bastard daughter.

Daenerys:

Like season two hers would be the most heavily modified POV. I’d stay as close to the book as possible, but I’d change the geography of Essos slightly and make even more controversial decisions. Yunkai, Meereen, Slaver’s Bay, etc would all be much closer to each other. Close enough that Dany wouldn’t really get much of a break between taking over each one. From episode nine of season three when she takes Yunkai to the end of episode seven of season four when she decides to stay and clean up the mess she makes out of freeing slaves, destabilizing the region, and damaging trade she’d be dealing with a much more complex political story. She’d still meet Barristan around episode one, but I’d have her get Missandei and Belwas as well as the unsullied from Kraznys. “Dracarys” would end episode seven, up until then she’d be learning about the slaver culture and the importance of the fighting pits would already be stressed.

I’d cut Daario. Instead I’d include the Golden Company. In fact, in season three in place of Daario and the Storm Crows, Daemon Blackfyre IV, the legitimate descendant of Daemon Blackfyre and commander of the Golden Company would fill the role of a romantic interest for Dany and he’d bring the Golden Company to her. But more than that she’d learn about Aegon IV and it would add the dynamic of whether or not she’s really the Targaryen heir that the loyalists of Westeros would be loyal to, since Daeron the Good was rumored to be a bastard. This would be someone she’d need for his military strength but at the same time have to be extremely cautious of on top of the fact she has a romantic relationship with him as well. In the show universe Ser Barristan would be suspicious of Daemon’s motives but he wouldn’t have the same history with the Blackfyres (killing the last of the male line) he had in the book. She'd meet Hizdar Zo Loraq in season four the same as the show did, which would cause even more of a rift in season five when Hizdar proposes a political marriage to Daenerys. The season would end with her chaining up the dragons similar to the route the show took.

As for season five and onward, these changes would highly affect Doran's plans for his heirs since I'd keep Arianne. Trystane is betrothed to Myrcella and happy, yet Dany and Daemon would be backed by the GC, Second Sons, unsullied, and the other houses are all so destabilized the throne would be securely within Martell reach after a successful Targaryen invasion if Arianne married Daemon and Trystane married Daenerys. I'd actually make Doran torn between letting Trystane go through with marrying Myrcella and going against the Targaryens or allowing the Sand Snakes to kill Myrcella once Cersei costs house Lannister all the power it once commanded. Also this would make us wonder who Varys is really backing when he says Targaryen.

Davos:

Largely the same as in the show since the show followed the book pretty close with Davos. His last scene of season three would be freeing Edric Storm (who would exist in the show). I liked the Tuesdays with Davos route the show took with Shireen and Davos but I don’t know if I would have thought to do the same thing. Davos and Stannis would get a lot of filler in season four, I might have gone the same route with the Iron Bank storyline. His last scene of the season would be at the wall with Stannis in some regard. I’d try to work in Melisandre telling Davos the Nissa Nissa story in one of the seasons.

Tyrion:

Largely the same as in the show for the third season with two big exceptions: Tywin would melt down Ice and show Tyrion the two swords much sooner, and Tyrion would meet Oberyn Martell in the finale of season three. Oberyn would be accompanied by Ellaria, Trystane, and Myrcella. We would find out here that Myrcella and Trystane are very taken with each other and breaking up their engagement is out of the question. He’d marry Sansa around episode eight or nine like the show did. Season four would be largely the same but with less time spent in Tyrion’s cell. He’d find out about the Red Wedding in episode one of season four, he’d send Shae away in episode two, the purple wedding would probably be episode two as well. He’d send Podrick away in episode three, and talk with Jaime in his cell in the same episode. He and Bronn would have a talk as well before Tyrion’s trial began in episode four. As controversial as it would be, I’d make Bronn the King’s Justice in place of Illyn Payne. It would have been revealed by the Hound to Arya when she went over her list that Illyn Payne was jumped by a mob of peasants and outnumbered at Blackwater. Wilko Johnson was off the show dying of cancer at the time anyway.

Oberyn would also be the one to suggest a trial by combat so he could get to the Mountain. Tyrion would be torn during the last part of the trial between taking Jaime’s advice and pleading guilty to go to the wall or demanding a trial by combat and risking Oberyn getting killed by the mountain. Shae would prompt him to demand the trial by combat and Oberyn would lose it at the end of episode six. Episode Seven Jaime would let Tyrion out and reveal Tysha wasn’t a whore. Jaime and Tyrion would still part on bad terms unlike in the show. Tyrion would kill Shae and Tywin and Varys would smuggle him out of the capital. Tyrion would sit episodes eight and nine out and he’d arrive in Pentos in episode ten where Varys would reveal to him that he’s involved in a plot to reinstate the Targaryen dynasty in Westeros.

Bran:

Largely the same as in the show for season three, except his last scene of the season would be meeting Sam and Gilly in the shadow tower and agreeing to go to Castle Black. He’d still meet Jojen and Meera in episode one or two. Not sure where Osha and Rickon would go but they would depart from him in episode nine of season three. Season four, his first appearance would be episode two where he’d ultimately decide not to let Jon know he’s still alive since Jon probably wouldn’t let him continue north. Sam would give them the dragon glass and let them go north. I would probably go the same route and have him get caught by the mutineers in Craster’s Keep. He’d escape when the Night’s Watch attacked the mutineers. I’d keep Coldhands. Coldhands would rescue Bran from a group of wildlings. Bran would still touch the Godswood tree and see Ned cleaning Ice. Bran would meet the three eyed Raven in episode ten.

Jon:

Season three would be largely the same with the exception of the ending. Still bangs Ygritte, still spends the whole season with the wildlings, meets Mance Rayder in his very first scene, etc. Orell would not exist in the show, I’d use Varamyr in a similar role and Jon’s warg abilities would be teased. Jon would make it back to the wall wounded. Season four would pick up right where it left off with Jon still wounded. At the end of episode one he would find out about Robb’s death via a raven from the Dreadfort informing the watch that the Boltons were the new wardens of the north. He would be viewed as a traitor still by the watch, he wouldn’t go north with the party to fight the mutineers. I would have the willdlings actually launch a prolonged attack against the wall that over the span of a few episodes and a few skirmishes thinned the numbers of the night’s watch. I’d also have it revealed one of the mutineers revealed the night’s watch was as poorly manned as it was. Episode nine would be the final big battle at the wall, the last ditch effort by the watch to stop the wildlings. Jon would be healed enough to fight, and when Ser Alliser died he would step up and lead the Night’s Watch to near victory before Stannis and the Baratheon army showed up.

One of the Baratheon soldiers would kill Ygritte and a lot of the wildlings would be taken hostage. In the finale Stannis would offer Jon Winterfell and a legitimization if he joins Stannis in his campaign to take the north from the Boltons. Jon will refuse it when he wins Lord Commander elections. Jon and Ghost will not have been separated as long in the show.

Sam:

Sam’s story in season three will be largely the same, except in episode nine he’ll kill the white walker. His last scene of season three will be with Bran in the shadow tower. In season four he’ll arrive back to the wall in episode three and from there he’ll alternate between learning all he can about being a Maester from Maester Aemon, reconnecting with Jon and the watch, and developing his relationship with Gilly. He’ll play a role in Jon being elected Lord Commander in the finale.

Cersei:

She’ll be involved heavily with Tyrion and Jaime’s scenes plus some scenes added to show her increasing distrust of Margaery. Episode eight will have Tywin’s funeral. In the same episode she’ll task Qyburn with making sure the mountain lives. Episode ten of season four will begin with her scene with Maggy the Frog, it will also be combined with her dream from AFFC where the iron throne cuts her up. She’ll burn the tower of the hand in the finale. Ellaria will stay in King’s Landing as a hostage, she’ll fill a role similar to Taena Merryweather. At some point during Tommen's coronation Oberyn or Ellaria would tease Cersei that under Dornish law Trystane would be king and Myrcella queen as a hint to the queenmaker plot.

Theon/ Yara:

Not sure how I would incorporate Theon’s torture and change into the two seasons but it would be there. Yara would lead a fruitless journey to find Theon similar to the show. I’d probably go as far as the show did with having Theon take Moat Cailin for the Boltons toward the end of season four, however I would modify the story to where Balon Greyjoy is actually there and Theon pushes him out of a tower killing him. Ramsay sends the Iron Born Balon’s body and informs them of what happened. Yara finding out is her last scene of season four. The Kingsmoot would take place in season five but Yara would completely take Victarion's role. Only Euron would appear in the show.

As far as season five and onwards, the Dornish and the Iron Born would both be in and I would still cut Aegon. I definitely wouldn't send Sansa to Winterfell to be raped. I think I'd probably still cut Quentyn but the queen maker plot/ Arianne and Arys Oakheart would stay. Since I'd started a bit of Feast and Dance in Season four, I'd try to end season five in the same place the books did and I would probably cut Sam's journey to Oldtown. I'd probably also cut the Sand Snakes down to four, and two of them would be adults.

Season 1:

Less sexposition

Season 2:

Robb is mostly seen with his generals instead of Talisa. Maege or Dacey Mormont is one of the generals and talks to Brienne about being a warrior woman. Talisa is a lowborn girl he sleeps with in grief of losing his brothers (allegedly). Cat also frees Jaime for this reason. He gets Talisa pregnant and that why he marries her. Confronting Catelyn about Jon.

Daenerys isn't asked to show her dragons which was just a cgi budget thing. Instead of a weird double betrayal of Xaro Xhoan Daxos he instead works with Daenerys if she helps him take over Qarth. Pyat Pree attempts to steal the dragons but eventually Daenerys burns down the house of the undying which actually uses some pretty trippy visions from the books including a wolf king and Rhaegar. Xaro sends Daenerys away for her protection. Xaro is left alive and in charge of Qarth.

Season 3:

Instead of the weird guessing game of who Ramsay is (when they already told it last season) they have Theon's story of him fleeing across the North being pursued by a mysterious figure (Ramsay). Theon is visibly shocked and beaten. Theon is captured In Theon's cell is the remains of Lady Hornwood. To save time they don't explain the whole Hornwood succession thing but Ramsay mentions it that she "had a lot of gold, holdings and men" and he wanted them with a slight joke about marriage being hard work. Ramsay gelds Theon so he doesn't have "fun" with the body. Theon confesses that he didn't kill Bran and Rickon to try to get out of it but Ramsay doesn't care. Now at this time maybe an episode or two before the red wedding Robb has his breakdown about never wanting to be king. He keeps Talisa close by because she is visibly close to giving birth at this point and he wants to see his son before he goes back out to war. Before the Red Wedding Roose says that they have finally captured Greyjoy after he fled and presents a parchment of his skin. Robb and Cat are disgusted. Red Wedding happens. Roose and Walder have that cool convo. But then it's revealed that Theon actually escaped from prison the first time and the Boltons were lying about not capturing him iniatially.

Stannis is a lot more conflicted. Instead Davos doesn't want to risk the inevitable deaths of Balon and Joffrey and sends Gendry away. Stannis doesn't order Davos excecuted but falls deeper into depression.

Loras isn't the heir to highgarden and an unseen character named Willas is. Cersei begins sleeping with Meryn Trant.

Season 4:

Jaime and Cersei actually begin falling out. No Kingsguard room sex.

Since Tysha seemed to be off the table then have it be that Tywin has Shae hanged like he said he would in season 3. Shae was also severely visibly beaten at before her testimony and that's why Tyrion gets so angry. Tyrion kill Tywin over Shae not Tysha for reasons that are character consistent for all three. Tyrion lashes out at Jaime because he couldn't protect Shae like he told him to. He tells Jaime Cersei has been sleeping with Lancel and Meryn Trant and Qyburn for all he knows. Tyrion also pretends that he was the one who killed Joffrey.

Lysa reveals everything in one scene instead of muttering it to LF in an aside. Marrilion is back and they mention that Lysa never cared for singing so she found a talented artist who couldn't speak (callback to season 1). Since Marrillion can't talk and is illiterate Sansa and LF easilly give him the blame.

The Mountain isn't introduced killing peasants instead Roose tricks Locke into meeting the Mountain who is delivering Jeyne Poole. The Mountain brutally destroys Locke and all of his men except one. Who will take the mission from there. On the way back to Kings Landing he also burns down an inn.

Stannis and Davos discover the letter from the wall and their plot this season preparing to fight the others and learning more about what Mel believes about them. They get a small iron bank loan but not as big as the show as the iron bank realises that they can't have their investment fall into that much ruin as a wildling horde would cause.

Yara's one scene this season is her finding Balon's body with her uncle Aeron. Aeron says that they must declare a kingsmoot and that they have to wait for Euron to arrive and try to contact Theon so that it isn't disputed.

Season 5:

I don't want to change too much yet until I know how it goes first. But I would definitely have the season 5 premier introduce Lady Stoneheart. The first episode ends with a smug Frey being hung by Lady Stoneheart. Season 5 would be her season and Jaime and Brienne would be teamed up in the Riverlands from near the start looking for Sansa and cleaning up the messes there. Eventually their captured by the BWB and whatever happens with them happens.

Archived