Careerchat

Inigima

It looks like I'll have to change role early in the new year. After months of vague hints about a new focus on global coordination, word suddenly came down that we're going to reorganize the structure of our business to integrate globally. The net result is that all of our US management team (I am one of 5 who lead a group of 75 people total, that will grow to 100 in 2016) will probably see their roles changing.

We don't even have a new org chart and it's not clear how much influence the US will have in the decisions. US is 70% of the revenue, profit and headcount of the global OCIO business, but UK is where the global HQ of our parent company is now located after a tax inversion a few years ago, so the UK looks like they'll have disproportionate influence at the exec level.

Lots of uncertainty for me personally and my immediate peers in the next few weeks but at least the people who report to me will retain their roles unchanged. They will probably just have a new boss, and may no longer be a single, specialized team.

A few possible new roles have been mooted, although none are officially mine for the taking. I don't know who else might be angling for any of them. Most likely I'll be more senior in the management structure, have far fewer people reporting to me, and will spend more time on designing investment solutions or else identifying acquisition targets.

I've decided to be positive about the change. I don't want to get anxious about loss of influence or enforced change. I'd like to embrace the new role, whatever it is. If I end up in a bad role, I'll cross that bridge when I reach it.

I had my annual performance review today, and I'm quite pleased to say I'm crushing it. In fact, I'm getting promoted. :) My senior associate said she has never seen anyone get promoted so quickly, and my manager had nothing but good things to say. So that was nice! And a raise, and since I got promoted I got a raise on top of the annual merit-based increase.

That's on the good side. On the down side, I still am not in love with my job. I'm alternatively bored and frustrated and, well, I guess I am just like everyone else out there working for the weekend.

Good luck with the reorg, Isk. Sounds like you're probably going to come out on top, but change can always be a bit tough. :cheers:

Potentially. I am waiting to see where my boyfriend is getting orders to. If we have to move, I can try to use that to move to a new office, if it is somewhere my firm has a branch. If not, I'll have to go to a new company, so for now I just need to sit tight in my current position. I should know more in about 6 months.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm pleased to announce that I've accepted an internal promotion. I'll be leaving my existing position in favor of a networking infrastructure role. Healthy bump in responsibility and salary, working with a team I'm already friendly with, and hopefully I'll learn a lot.

It's actually going to be pretty sad to leave in some ways. I really like most of my users and they like me, and for all my complaints about dysfunction in the division I'm leaving, my team is really great. Unquestionably a big step forward for me though.

I've decided to be positive about the change. I don't want to get anxious about loss of influence or enforced change. I'd like to embrace the new role, whatever it is. If I end up in a bad role, I'll cross that bridge when I reach it.

Good luck with the re-org. I just went through this last May, and it looks like I'll be run through the wringer again in the spring. I'm not exactly thrilled, but I am going to use this as an opportunity to talk about career development within the org (I have a newly created position and I am concerned that it currently has no upward trajectory), because at least now I have a chance to affect that. 

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have advice on an issue with filling out forms rather than just sending a CV for a position: what if my most relevant experience for the position is (extensive) volunteer/activist stuff, and the section for it is nonexistent or very minimal? Do I stuff it in employment history? The amorphous "additional information" box? I'm ok putting things like full-time fellowships, etc, as employment, but this is years with an organization in a variety of roles and at different levels of intensity and it feels dodgy to put it down as 6-odd years of employment. (And then there's 2-3 other relevant but smaller volunteer gigs I'm not sure what to do with either...)

That's tricky Datepalm. If you had an unpaid but full-time and significant role, then put it in the past employment section, but note at the very start that it was unpaid. If the role was chopping and changing over time and not that significant, then I don't think you can include that in the employment section.

Use your judgment based on the type of organization you are applying to. Relevance and misrepresentation are very subjective, and poor judgment here could get you bounced at the very first interview when you clarify your prior experience. So make a judgment call on how this organization would view your experience.

Best of luck.

I think that'd be a fair question to ask the HR (if one is available) ahead of time before you submit your application. My gut instinct is that if your work was not compensated (salary or other subsidies) then it shouldn't be in "employment history" section. However, on the time line of your general CV, definitely include it, such as:

2008 - present   Global Strategic Planning Inc., regional manager

2004 - 2008       World Water Foundation (Egypt office) - unpaid position as director of operation, staffing coordinator, and resource manager

2002 - 2006       Lex Luther Computing, database programmer

Anything full-time - sure. This is a long term volunteer thing. Sometimes very intense, sometimes a few hours a week. It's like I'd spent years being a volunteer scout master, and was applying for, say, a position as a summer camp guide. It's relevant experience, but it doesn't quite add up to list it as employment. Eh, bureaucracy.

I don't think there's any harm asking about it. Just be polite -- "Hey, just wondering, I remember you mentioned xyz. I haven't heard anything, do you know if that's still on the table?"

2 hours ago, Triskan said:

I have an issue I'd love to bounce off of people where something a little weird happened, and I'm not sure how to react to it.  A boss called me aside a few months ago saying that they had some good news.  They said that HR does a periodic analysis or something and had determined that for my education and work history I needed to get paid more.  I was told that I'd very likely be getting a substantial raise a few months down the road.  Well, its been some time now to where it seems pretty clear that I didn't get it.  And the person that told me about it hasn't said anything.  How should I read this?  Was this something shady on the part of the person that told me, or just some mix up?  Should I be comfortable approaching them and asking what happened?  Thanks

Triskan,

Impossible to know for sure but I would not be surprised of there was some kind of FLSA audit going on at your work. If you are being paid as an exempt employee (IE salaried) it may be that your role was flagged as a position that might be re-classified as non-exempt (IE hourly). When this happens it is a risk to the employer because they could be on the hook for back pay on overtime hours worked if employees were to make it an issue. Typically when this happens the company will opt to reclassify the position with more senior experience and educational requirements. This will require them to increase compensation and keep you as a salaried employee but it is a lot easier than telling the employee they are going to move their role to hourly. Less questions and whatnot.

Companies get themselves into these situations when they are too loose about job titles and skill requirements. It is not unusual to audit and adjust. This is why you will see employers start to build out hierarchies of job families as they grow.

2 minutes ago, Triskan said:

Zeltigar - That's very interesting.  This place is a 501(c)3.  Does that tell you anything?  I'm salaried.

Tough to know. They could have been sued by an employee which prompted them to do a review. They could have just asked their employment lawyers to do a review or someone in HR may have initiated something. Its better to be proactive than let things fester and then have a bunch of employee rack up back pay.

The thing that is strange about it is that the boss gave you a heads up about an evaluation and then nothing comes of it? That is kind of crazy. The smarter thing to do would be to wait until they knew for sure and then tell you. In your opinion do you think your job is "on the bubble" when it comes to salaried versus hourly pay? Some jobs are tougher to classify.

Archived