Careerchat

Inigima

As long as you are able to do a 180° turn and switch sides I don't see a problem. In my industry switching sides to the client is done all the time and encouraged to build closer personal ties. In your case it might be different, if you now have to control the work of former colleagues / work buddies and are privy to budgeting and cost calculations that your current employer wouldn't want a client to know about. Construction business (at least here) is a cutthroat business and client-contractor relashionships not very trustful but rather focused in a high degree of mutual legal and technical control.

ok.

as i have previously professed and some of you have experienced i am pretty fucking good at what i do.

despite that i learned today the ownership of the hotel i work in has severed ties with the management group i actually work for. the new management group on the outside looks superior. 

however they may not want me. i will at the very least need to reapply for my position and at the worse find myself unemployed. 

fucking bullshit bollocks horseshit cunt asshole fuckface bitch.

i have avoided full on corporate jackassery for near 20 years for just this reason and here it is looking me in the face. god damn it. 

I have an interview in 90 minutes.  If prepare anymore I'm going to freak out but I can not for the life of me think of any more questions that don't make me sound like a doofus.

Wish me luck, all

i have avoided full on corporate jackassery for near 20 years for just this reason and here it is looking me in the face. god damn it. 

That blows. I went through something like this a few years ago, so I totally understand your anxiety. Keep the CV polished, and just be your normal awesome self. You will find another awesome gig. Barring that, we will all move to the desert and terrify the locals. They will think us wizards for our superior ales and cured meats.

Best of luck to all those who are going to interviews or employment turmoil at the moment.  I have been going through the latter for the past few months as well. 

Losing a job should not be such a crushing blow to one's self-esteem - but it is.

MC - takeovers are stressful but it's out of your hands. The new mgmt company probably already knows if they want to keep or change the restaurant. Find out what you can and put out some feelers in the meantime.

Loon - it is a strange situation. Most industries have established guidlelines on whether it's ok for them to hire in situations like that. Just make sure you won't get burned if it falls through and later comes to light.

Best of luck Chaldanya.

Lately I've received a load of near-identical resumes from experienced people who are all trying to make a logical switch out of a declining sector, but they all waited too long because now they are a dime a dozen and undifferentiated. It's making me wonder if I'll be in the same boat in 5-10 years and should I be more aggressive about shifting track before my own sector starts to decline.

This thread is in dire need of some :grouphug: and some :kiss:

Best of luck to all of you. And, Isk, ALWAYS be the person who grows. Those who have a one-dimensional view of their career are, sooner or later, going to regret it. As the old saw goes, there's nothing as certain as change.

So, a few months ago I posted this topic since I was having a minor oh-god-can't-sleep-future-will-eat-me crisis. Anyway, since then I've calmed down a bit and been putting more thought into things, trying to sort out where I want to go and how to get there.

First off, I've decided I definitely want to get out of the military. It was never going to be a full career for me anyway but now I've confirmed with myself that I want out no later than the end of next year (allowing for 12 months notice). There are multiple reasons why:

- General discomfort with the culture and atmosphere of the branch I'm in. It's pretty fucking toxic. I'm not naive. I didn't expect it to be a bastion of enlightened liberal PC progressivism but a lot of the stuff I hear and deal goes well beyond normal everyday bullshit.

- Related to the above, I don't get on that well with most of my colleagues. In another work environment it would be fine to be professional and courteous whilst maintaining a personal distance, but everyone is expected to be super-close brothers-in-arms. I'm open to the possibility that the problem here is me, but acknowledging that the situation might be my fault doesn't make it better.

- Career progression is designed to lock you in to the service. One of the routes I was most interested in would keep me in for a minimum of another four-and-a-half years. This is way longer than I wanted to do even if everything else was fine.

- Most importantly, I can no longer say with any conviction that I'd be able to actually perform the duty that I'm employed for. Namely, when everything else is stripped away, putting a bullet in another human being. Obviously I thought I'd be okay with this when joining. Now, I really don't know.

So, with that established, I need to start coming up with possible plans for the future. Ideally, I aim to have three viable roadmaps of some sort established before I actually hand in my notice.

What sort of thing am I looking for? Money isn't really a major factor for me. So long as I can reliably pull in 22K per year I can meet my expenses with a little left over for savings. If I can find something close enough to bike to I could sell my car and get by on 19K per year. Ideally I'd like to do something that has a broader mission or purpose than just earning money. That's one of the things I do like about the military. I'd definitely prefer something relatively stable. By that I mean I don't mind travelling or working strange hours so long as the actual employment itself is fairly stable and reliable.

My qualifications/certifications:

- BA History

- BTEC level 5 Leadership and Management

- ADA/IATA Dangerous Goods Consignor certification

- HGV license

- Level 2 fitness instructor

A few random ideas at the moment:

- First responder of some description, most likely paramedic. The fire brigade is insanely competitive to get into and isn't even hiring at the moment. Ditto police. Becoming a paramedic would help fulfil a lot of the reasons I wanted to go military in the first place but without most of the problems outlined above. The usual career path is to have a paramedic science degree but apparently it's difficult but possible to be hired as a trainee, getting paid and learning on the job. I'm looking into volunteering as a first-aider with either St. John's Ambulance or British Red Cross to build potentially useful experience.

- International development/ NGO/charity sector. I have experience working abroad in harsh conditions, dealing with overseas logistics, security knowledge etc. At this stage I'm not sure what sort of jobs are out there so there's a lot more research required on my part certainly, but it seems promising.

- Shipping/logistics. This is pretty much what I've been doing the past year or so anyway. I'm responsible for company stores which basically comes down to looking after a small warehouse/storeroom and managing a logistics chain. I'm qualified to ship dangerous goods as well which is worth quite a lot as a certification.

- HGV Driver. This isn't my preferred option but it remains a backup plan. Depending on the cargo and company drivers can actually make halfway decent money. This would not be my career but if all else failed I would be able to support myself whilst sorting something else out.

- Personal training. I'd need more qualifications to get into it (what I have now is the most basic foot-in-the-door qualification available) and it's an extremely unreliable, cut-throat industry. This is not my preference but again, it is an option.

Thanks to anyone who's read this far. Writing this out was as much to put my own thoughts in order as it was to get advice, but if anyone has advice it would be very much appreciated.

Hmmmmmmmm....we seem to be in a very mild recession at the moment.  The drop in the price of oil and the resource sector has hit the economy, but it means manufacturing should pick up with the drop in the Canadian dollar that has come with the drop in oil.  Unemployment is at 6.8%, which is higher than the rate 5.6% rate in the UK.  Big job losses in the oil industry.

We are in the middle of an election, and the current government says they would add 2,500 RCMP.  I think police forces are hiring in many parts of the country.  Truck drivers are in big demand (many trucking companies in North America seem to have gone to Poland and India looking for drivers).  Logistics should be an area with jobs.  From friends who are paramedics I know competition is fierce for jobs.

Took a quick look at this site, it seems to have interesting links. https://www.justlanded.com/english/Canada/Canada-Guide/Jobs/The-job-market

Here's a recent list of the top 100 jobs in Canada. The web site has all kinds of articles about employment. http://www.canadianbusiness.com/lists-and-rankings/best-jobs/2015-top-100-jobs-in-canada/

Workopolis: http://www.workopolis.com/EN/Common/HomePage.aspx

MC - takeovers are stressful but it's out of your hands. The new mgmt company probably already knows if they want to keep or change the restaurant. Find out what you can and put out some feelers in the meantime.

Yep. Pretty much every time I've seen this go down, the incoming company already knows which way this will go. (in my case, they kept existing staff. in my brother's case, they brought in their own people.) 

What's the job market like out that way? I can get citizenship no problem (Canadian mum) so it's definitely possible.

Not sure what the climate is like in the UK, but American firms love hiring ex-military people with brains.  Shows leadership potential, work ethic, and that you can work in a team and take orders.

A lot of companies have programs to hire x-military, and I've seen plenty of officers with MBAs and such.  The one thing you need though is clear direction on exactly what you want to do, if you want to successfully enter corporate america.  If you are an officer, I'd recommend at least taking a few classes on management before making the switch, since there are some basics you probably need to learn. 

The vp of restaurants in the new company was the same role in the former. He knows who I am and my numbers are fucking good.

I will need to interview for my job again but feel pretty solid with it.

This new company has 41 hotels worldwide with a lot more in the works.

Good luck to everyone else out there in career uncertainty!

Archived