Cricket 28: Come back KP, all is forgiven!

ljkeane

Good recovery from Root and Stokes but they've both gone in the 90's. Root caught off a bottom edge on 98, you'd be gutted with that.

Root, and to a lesser extent Stokes, really have been the bright points for England this year.

I couldn't get test match special to work online at work, which is a pain, but it actually sounds like it's been a good day's cricket.

ETA: Damn, Buttler plumb lbw last ball of the day. Still that's a fantastic result from 30-4.

I agree, it was a terrible (although not exactly surprising) start but it was a good enough recovery that England are in a decent position by the end of the day even if the final score might end up being below what you might have said was a par score at the start of the play. At least they'll have something to bowl at and Jimmy Anderson could be very dangerous with the new ball even if it seems a fairly good batting pitch. It should be an entertaining match since it seems fairly evenly balanced at the moment.

Interesting statistic during play that if you look from the beginning of 2014 then Root is averaging just over 100 (not sure if that's still true after his dismissal). There are still a lot of question marks around the England team but I agree Root is the real bright spot.

Broad's head's completely gone with his batting, he's just not getting forward to anything because he's setting himself to duck a short ball. In this form they should just bite the bullet and drop him down to 11.

Argh, good delivery from Wood to take his first test match wicket but it's a no ball. Still I like the look of him, he's bowling with good pace and he's got a nice action. I liked the way he changed it up and jumped wide for a delivery to Guptill as well.

Good batting from the Kiwis.

I've always liked Guptill and I've found it strange that he's got such a good ODI record and not a good Test record. To me, his batting technique etc is fairly classical and should go well with Test cricket.

Anyway, Williamson really has come good in the last couple of years, he looks like he could be the NZ star of the middle order for a while yet.

Another really good couple of days of cricket, great effort from England to get to this position from 30-4. It could be a cracking day tomorrow if England declare/bowled out reasonably early. I doubt Cook will be too adventurous though and to be fair it does still look to be a road and England's bowlers haven't looked too incisive, still it'd be good to see.

Another really good couple of days of cricket, great effort from England to get to this position from 30-4. It could be a cracking day tomorrow if England declare/bowled out reasonably early. I doubt Cook will be too adventurous though and to be fair it does still look to be a road and England's bowlers haven't looked too incisive, still it'd be good to see.

I agree Cook will probably be conservative with any declaration (although they could get bowled out quickly). He usually conservative anyway and it's hard to know what sort of target run-rate would be 'safe' against a team containing Brendan McCullum, Martin Guptill and Corey Anderson. I suspect it'll probably end up a draw since England won't want to give the Kiwis a total they can chase and if the Kiwis aren't trying to chase down a big total it's hard to see England bowling them out in less than a day on a placid pitch. I hope that I'm wrong since there is potential for an exciting conclusion.

Fucking hell, I thought it was going to be another no ball for a second there.

Great effort from Watling but game back on for England now.

ETA: Root gets Anderson lbw. Come on!

ETA2: Get in! Great win for England from 30-4 and just an excellent test match all round. It's a real shame it's only a two test series.

Looks like it's worked out pretty well with England getting bowled out.

In retrospect NZ would have probably preferred waiting for Cook's declaration, although it probably wasn't far way so may not have made much difference.

It was a great win for England, particularly since the Kiwis played really well for the most part and kept fighting until the end (although lower order batting probably isn't their strength). Not many teams score almost 750 runs and lose the match.

Stokes was annoying inconsistent last year after his good start in the Ashes but if he can keep playing like he did in this match then he could become an all-rounder worth of comparison to Botham/Flintoff, that over where he took two wickets was world-class. I was also impressed with Mark Wood on debut, he had genuine pace and often looked threatening. Probably the only question mark for England is the opening spot alongside Cook, hopefully Lyth will manage to cement his place in the next match. Most of the Kiwis played well despite the loss, although I didn't think much of Mark Craig's spin bowling.

It's a real shame it's only a two test series.

Two Test series always seem too short.

Probably the only question mark for England is the opening spot alongside Cook, hopefully Lyth will manage to cement his place in the next match.

Yeah, Ballance had a pretty poor test as well but he's presumably got enough credit in the bank. Lyth certainly didn't look great but New Zealand did bowl pretty well. It'd be nice to have a reliable opening partnership going into the Ashes, or just full stop really. It's a bit odd they still haven't found a replacement for Strauss yet, Compton's probably been the best of those they've tried but they seem to really not fancy him for some reason.

It looks like England are going to go with Trevor Bayliss as coach rather than Gillespie. A bit of a surprise given how many people seem to rate Gillespie so highly but I can't say I know a lot about him though so we'll have to see how it goes.

It looks like England are going to go with Trevor Bayliss as coach rather than Gillespie. A bit of a surprise given how many people seem to rate Gillespie so highly but I can't say I know a lot about him though so we'll have to see how it goes.

It's difficult to really know enough to have an opinion on who the better coach is, but Bayliss does have more international experience (and coaching experience in general). For Gillespie there would seem to be a big leap from County Cricket to immediately taking charge of an Ashes team, he'll probably get other international opportunities in the future.

Who needs KP when you have a self destructing NZ?

I don't know how often it happens but it seems that NZ frequently gets the highest single innings total in a test match but winds up losing. Probably a testament to the long term test match problem New Zealand has of batting inconsistency. Other teams are either always shit in the batting department or always good in the batting department. NZ can be great and shit within the span of 5 days.

Archived