Top 5 favorite fantasy series?

VicAndTheSquidSquad

Yes. Yes you are.

I feel like I'm loosing my mind, My friends read Brooks because its light and fluffy and not dark. It's like you just told me that Game of Thrones is a perfect book for 4th graders.

I have no idea what this shock about elves being a second race thing you're talking about is. Unless you read them in some weird order I'm unaware of.

I'd love to see these hints. I read the first (counts) 6 books maybe 100 times as a kid. Fuck, I got the 6th signed IN PERSON. You guys are seroiusly making me question my sanity.

Edit: Maybe we should take this to its own topic, once the board speeds up to normal after everyone stops screaming about the new episode. Also when my sanity returns OH LOOK A BUTTERFLY YAY

I think I read only one of the Shannara "series" (in German, probably the first that is fairly unoriginal with stock characters and some "hellspawn" to be fought) but I also seem to remember that there is a scene where a "dungeon" is explored that looks suspiciously like an underground parking garage. Or maybe my brother who read more (because his gf at that time loved them) told be that there were hints about a post-apocalyptic setting.

Actually as I was drunk when I wrote the post I should make clear the books I was referring to are the ones starting with Angelfire East and not Sword of Shannara-The ones starting in modern times and ending in a nuclear war,thats the bleak part, since that's probably going to happen someday

I don't want to give any of these solidified ranks because I'm not 100% sure where they all fall on my list. Still, these are the Big Five for me.

- The Lord of the Rings

- A Song of Ice and Fire

- The Earthsea Trilogy

- Harry Potter

- His Dark Materials

Darth-lighten up,thought that would get a response,even thought about saying Eddings was the greatest fantasy,but didn`t want to give you a stroke.Take a vacation,maybe go to Pattaya beach and have some fun-All these stories are just FICTION,none of them are worth getting upset and frustrated,geez,some people take everything too serious on this site.

On ‎26‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 2:47 PM, Darth Richard II said:

Yes. Yes you are.

I feel like I'm loosing my mind, My friends read Brooks because its light and fluffy and not dark. It's like you just told me that Game of Thrones is a perfect book for 4th graders.

I have no idea what this shock about elves being a second race thing you're talking about is. Unless you read them in some weird order I'm unaware of.

On ‎26‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 2:49 PM, Darth Richard II said:

I'd love to see these hints. I read the first (counts) 6 books maybe 100 times as a kid. Fuck, I got the 6th signed IN PERSON. You guys are seroiusly making me question my sanity.

Edit: Maybe we should take this to its own topic, once the board speeds up to normal after everyone stops screaming about the new episode. Also when my sanity returns OH LOOK A BUTTERFLY YAY

During the first book it is established that the races are all humans or variants of humans, who have devolved after a previous apocalypse of some type. In the second book it becomes a surprise to learn that elves are actually a totally separate race, that is older than humans. And hence feeds into the story about the demons. I wouldn't consider Shanara light & fluffy. Elements include:

• Spoiler

• Death of major characters in the books
    • The stones use and wishsong usually injure and change the users
    • The second series depicts a world which has gone backwards from the first
    • No clear "good wins" narrative. Usually just forestall something bad.
    • It is clearly a worse off and more dangerous world than the current one, so as I said is a little bit of a bleak view of the future.

I have always avoided Shannara due to its reputation as a Tolkien clone. This new view of it as dark, gritty, dystopian, postapocalyptic like The Broken Empire is making me want to give the books a shot. 

Yeah, it's a shit book to read as an adult.  I could see how some 14 year old might get some 'darkness' out of it, but it is the quintessential Tolkien rip off, and the progenitor of the horrible 80's fantasy scene. Don't read them because you think they are going to be dark or groundbreaking.  Read them because you want to be reminded of silly fluffy fantasy that didn't do anything to further the genre.  

How the fuck anyone on here could view them as gritty, dystopian, or otherwise is beyond me.  They are fucking cheese dick YA novels that are slightly amusing. 

Gotta agree with most of the latter books,genesis of shannara seemed dark to me mostly because of the destruction of modern civilization. the second series was better than the first three books,after those mostly haven`t enjoyed them.I wouldn`t have called any dark if I hadn`t been watching the news and drinking more than I had in 25 yrs..believe me realizing Iran will have nukes and Hillary or Trump is going to be president is enough to make any thing look bad.Probably would change my picks for series too.tbh,I would drop Brooks and ERB,and substitute The Dark Tower and the Necroscope series,though it`s more horror some would say.Haven`t been reading much fantasy the last few years,mostly series that I started years ago and just wanted to finish.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 0:18 AM, Andorion said:

I have always avoided Shannara due to its reputation as a Tolkien clone. This new view of it as dark, gritty, dystopian, postapocalyptic like The Broken Empire is making me want to give the books a shot. 

It may just be spin. You think they would put it on MTV if it was dark and gritty? -_-

Archived