Syrio Forel

ChuckM

• 3 weeks later...

Keep reading, my child. The Great Syrio Forel shall return. For I look death in his eyes and say....... Not Today....

Ironic that this "not today" thing cannot be read in the books, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Really want him to come back. Such an awesome character. WHY DIDN'T HE PICK UP A PROPER SWORD???!!!??

It's possible that there wasn't a real sword within his reach. That, or he could have been rather arrogant and believed that even with a wooden sword he could win. Given what we've seen of his character though, this is unlikely so it is more probably that he knew that he could not kill all of the guards, and thus saw the fight as a means to buy Arya time instead so that she might flee.

• 1 month later...

During the confrontation with Meryn Trant and the Lannister swords, Syrio clearly states that "The First Sword of Bravos does not run".  I can't see him slipping away and surviving unless he knocked Trant out cold somehow.  Alternatively, he's not actually the first sword of Bravos, but he used to be.  So "my words lied, but my eyes and arms shouted the truth"

Assuming Syrio survived, I don't think Trant would want to own up to it, hoping no one would ask him.  As the story progresses, does he even catch any grief for failing to apprehend Arya?  Does Cersei simply not care?  
"Hey Meryn, did you find Arya Stark?" 
"No. I have no idea where she is.  She wasn't where you said she'd be."
"Well, what happened to all the men we sent with you?"
"Huh? You sent Men with me? What?  I'm hungry...."
"Yeah, the Lannister swords?  How many were there? 4? 6?"
"I don't know what you're talking about.....Oooooh THOSE clowns?   Yeah.... they must have fallen down the stairs or something...."
"Ummm.... OK whatever..."

Simpler scenario - he tells them he sent the swords and they failed so he had them executed.

Either way, I don't think Meryn Trant would have spared Syrio for the dungeon.  

I guess I'm saying I still don't quite know what to think.

Really want him to come back. Such an awesome character. WHY DIDN'T HE PICK UP A PROPER SWORD???!!!??

He didn't pick up a proper sword because Arya was watching him.  Syrio had been teaching her all along all these seemingly silly tricks of chasing cats and balancing on one leg.  Ned Stark thinks all of this is poppycock and suggests enlisting the private services of Barristan Selmy instead, but Arya begs to stay with Syrio Forel.

Showing Arya how to fight without a proper sword shows her that she needs to be resourceful, because there might be a day where she doesn't have a sword to defend herself, yet with the proper technique, she'll still be able to.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Though it sucks, I'm sure he died, me too. There must have been a dead, cause as TheGhostofHouseStark noted, Syrio himself stated that "The First Sword of Braavos does not run". And Meryn Trant is still with us, isn't he? Unless... well... unless Meryn Trant ran... So mayhaps?... :ph34r:

Archived