The "Handsome Young Man" (Show Spoilers)

TheRoseWithThorns

Not to mention Littlefinger is scheming for the north, presumably. He wants the Tyrell's help in taking down the victor, his bets are on Stannis- if Shireen is burned and Stannis dies- Gendry is in line. What the true born and bastards targs have to say about this line up is a different story- but the conversation was about the 'future of house Tyrell'- not the seven kingdoms

Because it makes no sense how LF would have any influence over Lancel and because Lance pretty much told Cersei that he confessed everything back in episode 1. But hey....show logic

I don't think it's a case of "influence over Lancel" by going to Lancel and saying "hey, drop over to where Lady Olenna is staying and tell her everything".

All he had to do was tell Olenna what he knew about Lancel and Cersei, not give her Lancel in person. The "handsome young man" was information, not the man himself.

The gift of a young man to Cersei, however, was an actual handsome young man who would seduce Loras, and provide Cersei with enough dirt on the Tyrells to bring them down.

The interesting thing about that conversation between Baelish and Olenna is that Baelish indirectly confessed that he was a major part of Cersei's plot to get Loras, but Olenna didn't seem to catch on.

Not to mention Littlefinger is scheming for the north, presumably. He wants the Tyrell's help in taking down the victor, his bets are on Stannis- if Shireen is burned and Stannis dies- Gendry is in line. What the true born and bastards targs have to say about this line up is a different story- but the conversation was about the 'future of house Tyrell'- not the seven kingdoms

Gendry is a bastard and a bastard can be in line.

Gendry is a bastard and a bastard can be in line.

i agree- Gendry is in line. I disagree that the Queen of Thrones didn't catch on. sheknew exactly was Littlefinger was saying: He gave Cersai the information needed to protect his ass. Her response was: Bitch- I will take you down with me. His retaliation was: Settle down- I have a trump card for both of us. I believe that trump card is Gendry, a handsome young man whom both of them could benefit from. The better question, again, is how will Gendry react?

Typo: I actually meant to write "Gendry is a bastard and a bastard CAN'T be in line."

The only way for them to inherit anything is if their fathers legitimise their illegitimate children, the way Roose Bolton did for Ramsay, changing him from a Snow to a Bolton.

Since King Robert is dead, he can't legitimise Gendry or any other of his still living bastards. He didn't even acknowledge them as his bastards when he was alive.

The reason Joffrey had Robert's bastards hunted down wasn't because they were in line to the throne but because their existence cast doubt on his own legitimacy. It is simplistic in our world of paternity tests, but if you remember in the books and season one it was all about blond vs black hair. Having bastards who were the spitting image of Robert roaming around was living proof that children he fathered looked nothing like the kids Cersei gave birth to.

As for Lady Olenna, I didn't see any indication in the scene that she caught on to the full meaning and scope of the "handsome young man" he'd given to Cersei. As I remember it, he was explaining to her why he'd returned to King's Landing, not deliberately putting her in her place.

Perhaps the Handsome Young Man is Young Griff aka Aegon Targaryn VI?

In the books he is known as "Young Griff" and the book states him to be exceptionally handsome? Anyone else think that is who it could be? ;)

Else it may be Rickon although Rickon is a boy, not a man so the choice of words is quite poor and leads this theory to be less likely.

It is definitely not the same gift as LF gave Cersei as simply put, LF states the same kind of gift, not the same gift.

Cannot be lancel, that is pointless and makes no sense, it would be a waste of time and a "filler" to do that, yet with so little hours to fit so much I would not believe them to waste precious time on something so stupid.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/25/2015 at 9:49 AM, Stag_legion said:

It was pretty clear he was refering to Lancel. But that's stupid show logic again, little finger would have little ability to influence Lancel at this point.

Lancel would spill the bean on his own.

Lancel. Thank you! But not for the apparent/most obvious reason. For sure he confessed, sometime ago, that he was Cersei's boy-toy. So HS already knew that, plus that alone is not that much of a big deal; I mean we can assume that many highborn/wealthy cougars have their boy-toys (with whom they fornicate to no end and have a general good time, while their sometimes arranged husbands play other roles). It's something else.

At that point both Olenna Tyrell and Littlefinger see High Sparrow as an enemy who can not be easily bribed or scared. Littlefinger's brothel (now trashed and closed) is not only a source of income, it's also a place where he gets the intel. So instead of fighting him directly all they have to do is get him against Cersei somehow. If they do that - Cersei will burn him alive.

So, handsome young man, Lancel was in brothel many times, and Littlefinger knows things from his past that he maybe did not confess. Lancel was probably on his payroll, at one time or another, as well. So Littlefinger gets Lancel to tell to HS that current king is the result of incest. That's what High Sparrow hoped Cersei would confess.

Archived