This week's Sand Snake scene was brought to you by the most beautiful woman in the world (or else) [book spoilers]

Good Guy Garlan

Does anyone know where the most beautiful woman in the world came from? I swear I read it in the books but I don't remember where.

Victarion thinks Dany is the most beautiful woman in the world, IIRC

Here are "the most beautiful woman in the world" quotes:

The most beautiful woman in the world, thought Quentyn. My bride-to-be, if the gods are good. Sometimes at night he lay awake imagining her face and form, and wondering why such a woman would ever want to marry him, of all the princes in the world. I am Dorne, he told himself. She will want Dorne."

The next day a sudden squall descended on them. Moqorro had predicted that as well. When the rains moved on, three ships were found to have vanished. Victarion had no way to know whether they had foundered, run aground, or been blown off course. "They know where we are going," he told his crew. "If they are still afloat, we will meet again." The iron captain had no time to wait for laggards. Not with his bride encircled by her enemies. The most beautiful woman in the world has urgent need of my axe.

Cersei during WoS: Words are wind, she thought, words cannot hurt me. I am beautiful, the most beautiful woman in all Westeros, Jaime says so, Jaime would never lie to me. Even Robert, Robert never loved me, but he saw that I was beautiful, he wanted me.

About Cersei in TWOIAF:

Since the fall of House Targaryen, the realm has prospered greatly. Robert, the First of His Name, took charge of a fractured Westeros and swiftly healed it of the many ills inflicted by the Mad King and his son. As his first act, the unwed king took to wife the most beautiful woman in the realm, Cersei of House Lannisterthereby granting to House Lannister all the honors that Aerys had denied it

The most beautiful woman in the world, thought Quentyn. My bride-to-be, if the gods are good. Sometimes at night he lay awake imagining her face and form, and wondering why such a woman would ever want to marry him, of all the princes in the world. I am Dorne, he told himself. She will want Dorne."

The next day a sudden squall descended on them. Moqorro had predicted that as well. When the rains moved on, three ships were found to have vanished. Victarion had no way to know whether they had foundered, run aground, or been blown off course. "They know where we are going," he told his crew. "If they are still afloat, we will meet again." The iron captain had no time to wait for laggards. Not with his bride encircled by her enemies. The most beautiful woman in the world has urgent need of my axe.

So... Tyene is a Targaryen?

That's ridiculous. You are saying that 30 minutes of every show has nudity. I do not think so. I am not a large fan of the nudity, not because I do not like nudity in general, but more so because it really serves no purpose and wastes times. There are times when it works. Last year's brothel scenes with Oberyn were great.

I'm obviously exaggerating a little bit....but it is a lot when compared to the amount in the books.

So true! The notion that D&D and the HBO family are greater pervs than GRRM would probably insult George. Have you guys not read his books? :drool:

For me nothing in the show has been as perverted as the text for Dany's first night with Drogo, or Tyrion just making Shae instantly wet when he wakes her. Was Shae sleeping on a vibrator or something?

The writing felt somehow more sleazy to me, with a seedy, uncomfortable edge, like it was trying to justify itself. The show is more like a frat boy having fun at a wet t-shirt competition, silly sometimes but more comfortable in it's own skin, making it somehow more mentally innocent.

Cersei during WoS: Words are wind, she thought, words cannot hurt me. I am beautiful, the most beautiful woman in all Westeros, Jaime says so, Jaime would never lie to me. Even Robert, Robert never loved me, but he saw that I was beautiful, he wanted me.

About Cersei in TWOIAF:

Since the fall of House Targaryen, the realm has prospered greatly. Robert, the First of His Name, took charge of a fractured Westeros and swiftly healed it of the many ills inflicted by the Mad King and his son. As his first act, the unwed king took to wife the most beautiful woman in the realm, Cersei of House Lannisterthereby granting to House Lannister all the honors that Aerys had denied it

These are great. But something in my guts tell me there's a piece of history where a Dornish woman did the exact same thing to some Tyrell lord. Forced him to call her the most beautiful woman in the world with poison.

For me nothing in the show has been as perverted as the text for Dany's first night with Drogo, or Tyrion just making Shae instantly wet when he wakes her. Was Shae sleeping on a vibrator or something?

The writing felt somehow more sleazy to me, with a seedy, uncomfortable edge, like it was trying to justify itself. The show is more like a frat boy having fun at a wet t-shirt competition, silly sometimes but more comfortable in it's own skin, making it somehow more mentally innocent.

Agreed. Anyone who can read the books and say with a straight face that they aren't chocked full of some truly lewd, absurd, and certainly unnecessary sexual imagery should get into acting.

These are great. But something in my guts tell me there's a piece of history where a Dornish woman did the exact same thing to some Tyrell lord. Forced him to call her the most beautiful woman in the world with poison.

i think that you are talking about Lyonel Tyrell:

"Lord Lyonel fought beneath the Targaryen banner when the Young Dragon, King Daeron I Targaryen, sought to conquer Dorne. Upon his ascension in 157 AC, King Daeron marched south with his armies and defeated the Dornishmen, becoming the first Targaryen king to conquer Dorne and unite all Seven Kingdoms for the first time.

Lord Lyonel faithfully, if perhaps too boldly, commanded the army that invaded Dorne via Prince's Pass. After the Young Dragon's initial victory, Daeron appointed Lyonel as governor of Dorne. The Dornishmen however proved cunning and impossible to rule. Lyonel moved with his train from one keep to the next, chasing rebels out and keeping the knees of the Dornishmen bent. It was his custom to turn the lords of the keeps he stayed in out of their chambers and sleep in their place. One night at Sandstone, finding himself in a bed with a heavy velvet canopy, he pulled a sash near the pillows to summon a wench. When he did so, the canopy opened and a hundred red scorpions fell upon him. His death sparked new revolts, and in a fortnight all the work of the Young Dragon was undone, eventually bringing the about the death of King Daeron himself"

The point of the poison thing is to show that Tyene uses poison. Which will probably come to play later on when they're sent off to King's Landing. I thought it was a good way of showing that.

And yes, she's petty and childish. That's kind of the point of her character. But she did save his life when she didn't have to.

I'll concede that it does show off Tyene's talents, but that doesn't mean that the nudity wasn't clearly shoe-horned in there. There's a difference between a scene which serves a purpose and nudity which serves a purpose. Probably the best example is LF's "play with her arse" monologue back in S1. That scene is actually pretty important for establishing LF's motivations (whether he should be revealing his motivations at all is a different matter). That doesn't mean the random lesbian sex in the scene is warranted. This is what D+D always do: they add sex and nudity on top of plot relevance rather than making the sex itself relevant in some manner. And every now and then that's a fair enough way to get in a bit of fanservice, but to the extent D+D do it, it's too much.

It was more watchable than any other Sand Snake scene but still felt pointless.

I'll concede that it does show off Tyene's talents, but that doesn't mean that the nudity wasn't clearly shoe-horned in there. There's a difference between a scene which serves a purpose and nudity which serves a purpose. Probably the best example is LF's "play with her arse" monologue back in S1. That scene is actually pretty important for establishing LF's motivations (whether he should be revealing his motivations at all is a different matter). That doesn't mean the random lesbian sex in the scene is warranted. This is what D+D always do: they add sex and nudity on top of plot relevance rather than making the sex itself relevant in some manner. And every now and then that's a fair enough way to get in a bit of fanservice, but to the extent D+D do it, it's too much.

A more competent writer could produce something better without nudity. But with these people, this scene would probably be worse without it.

For me the jail scene was so appallingly unnecessary that I have to assume it was totally necessary. Otherwise it was beyond pointless to show Bronn had been poisoned simply to un-poison him. If anything it confirms suspicions of Bronn's impending demise.The very unappealing Sand Snakes are presumably going to use him to try and kill all and sundry in their bid for vengeance. I just hope they too get the chop ASAP as they are the least appealing characters I have watched in 5 seasons.

Qhorin Halhand - The scene wasn't pointless at all. It was a blatant excuse for the actress who plays Tyene to get her norkies out. That was the point of it. Lol.

Obviously dude.

The show seems to be bribing us with tits for watching otherwise mostly pointless scene. I am not complaining about the bribe, without that, it would be even worse.

Obviously dude.

The show seems to be bribing us with tits for watching otherwise mostly pointless scene. I am not complaining about the bribe, without that, it would be even worse.

Reminds me of the Ramsay and Myranda sex scene last year.

Here is Not-Asha, with a killer monologue. But, we know it's hard to concentrate, so have some boobs too!

NotAsha/Boob!/NotAsha/Boobs!/NotAsha/Boobs!

A million times this. Like, she was gonna poison him, but he said she was pretty, so she aw shucks gave him the antidote. Flattery, it just gets us women every time.

They should figure out better ways to get her to show bewbs.

I'm just hoping it means he stays around to play a bigger part, he's been the only entertaining part of this whole Dorne farce.

Archived