This week's Sand Snake scene was brought to you by the most beautiful woman in the world (or else) [book spoilers]

Good Guy Garlan

Bronn has a code? Wasn't he ready to kill a baby for the right price?

Precisely my point. If there's one character in the series that most definitely has no code it's Bronn, and he never pretends he does.

Shhh! You both are thinking too much! Of course, logically/consistently, the same guy (as presented in the show) who refused to fight the Mountain for Tyrion because it was too risky would never have just easily accepted his deal to marry Lollys and become a minor lord being nixed and then just agree to accompany Jaime to Dorne just for laughs or whateverthefuck! Whut, logic?!! Pshawww! :rolleyes:

Many people made good points about his heart rate increasing causing the poison to work faster. I also think this is the beginning of Bron morphing into another character in the books that will associate with the Sand Snakes again. A lot of the scenes like this that seem to be gratuitious end up connecting dots further down the road.

I wasn't sure about the point of the scene but I reconciled it by at least realizing that whatever else Bronn was never going to accept the antidote from her without some kind of compulsion. It's not like she would simply toss it through the bars and say, "drink this you've been poisoned." Why she decided to save his life is unexplained but there's no reason to disbelieve her claim that she found him attractive and seems to have taken a liking to him. Maybe she liked his fighting style and had some respect for him, as well.

Precisely my point. If there's one character in the series that most definitely has no code it's Bronn, and he never pretends he does.

Unless he failed to kill a woman and pretends to hold back.

But what would I know? Expert critics are saying anything that comes from Bron's mouth is the true and that a scene that characterizes a character and establishes a relationship between two characters has no point because it shows boobs.

And yes, just in case, that's irony.

I'd say Tyene in the books looks and sounds innocently, but she's not that committed to acting like it. She asks Ser Balon if the Mountain died painfully with the frankness of asking for tablesalt, sending chills down his spine. And that's the only scene of her in which she wasn't in private company and just mouthing off Doran. But yeah, Show Tyene's an amalgamation of Arianne and Elia, with Nymeria's knives and Tyene's poison. Nymeria's left with nothing. I mean, the Dornish fight with spears, though clearly the fight choreographer doesn't understand you stab with spears, slicing with them is gonna look hella unwieldy, and knives as a way of administring poison ain't the worst idea, though the septa shtick is more original (and more relevant to her role next season), but Nymeria is just random whip girl. Supposedly she's the smart, political one, but Obara and Ellaria are the only making all the decisions so not really.

I've read interviews where she has described herself that way too. Also Keisha Castle-Hughes talks quite a lot about being a warrior monk. But we've barely seen any of that. For Nym, we have literally seen nothing that shows she is the one with the political skills. I know at least one scene that had Obara meditating while Nym and Tyene fought (after they buried the ship's captain) was cut. I wonder if more scenes that that were cut. I actually have wondered that about many of the storylines because Akinnuoye-Agbaje who played Malko the pirate slaver (Mr. Eko) also talked about scenes where he was traveling with Tyrion and Jorah and how his character was a philosopher but no one on his boat took him seriously. Clearly we get nothing like that. And since he is a made-up show character we know he isn't getting that from the books. Anyways, I've just been wondering if there haven't been a lot more scenes cut that usual. (And the episodes are still running much longer than most seasons though! Not that I am complaining).

He's old enough to be her grandfather lol

Also, is Bronn supposed to be handsome? I'm a straight guy so I guess my opinion doesn't really matter, but I was surprised to hear Tyene tell him, you're handsome too. To me, he looks like a weasel.

Granted, Bronn isn't the most attractive lad but his "swag", cockiness, and/or confidence has drawn women to him like a moth to a flame.

You will have to try way harder to convince anyone that you are not an uptight puritan.

Anyway it was an audition scene. What does it tell you? Maybe, just maybe this scene is designed to give Tyene some characterization. I mean you really dont have to be a genius to realize that. It was obviously not pointless. And it was a beautiful scene, one of few scenes on GoT that were truly erotic and not just blatant lazy commitment to the boobs quota like almost all brothel scenes.

Trolling? If not, your idea of "beautiful television" is terrible. You should probably watch Spartacus...I'm sure you'd find it to be a masterpiece. And someone can find this scene gratuitous and unnecessary without being a Puritan. I found it that way, and I'm sure not as hell a prude. More like a television critic who hates bad television, and that's what this entire show is now. I've seen plenty of well done nudity in my time of being a critic and GoT has never fit the bill for that.

I honestly find this entire thread pretty low brow tbh and I'm surprised it's even still open.

More like a television critic who hates bad television, and that's what this entire show is now. [...]

I honestly find this entire thread pretty low brow tbh and I'm surprised it's even still open.

Stop watching the show then. And leave the thread if it doesn't cater to your refined tastes and offends your sensibilities.

Stop watching the show then. And leave the thread if it doesn't cater to your refined tastes and offends your sensibilities.

Nah, I can do what I want. Thanks for the advice though. Edit: and I'm a critic, so I sort of have to watch the show, unfortunately.

Nudity in a seduction scene is perfectly reasonable. But why is the seduction scene here? It serves no purpose.

That is what is gratuitous about the show's use of nudity - they don't plot out the story and put nudity where it's needed, they plot out the nudity and dress it up in plot.

They were quite restrained in the Sansa wedding scene then - compared to the Jeyne scene in the book. To complain about gratuitous nudity and sex in the show while at the same time defending its use in the books is risible and a typical case of the pot calling the kettle black.

They were quite restrained in the Sansa wedding scene then - compared to the Jeyne scene in the book. To complain about gratuitous nudity and sex in the show while at the same time defending its use in the books is risible and a typical case of the pot calling the kettle black.

What does Jeyne have to do with this? That was a plot relevant scene and a logical progression of the plot. I would have had no problem with them graphically representing Jeyne's story on screen (I have problems with putting Sansa in that role but that's a whole other thread). The sandsnake scene was not logical, it was clearly just there for the sake of nudity. I've already pointed out like half a dozen reasons for why the scene makes no sense and is poorly written.

The sandsnake scene was not logical, it was clearly just there for the sake of nudity. I've already pointed out like half a dozen reasons for why the scene makes no sense and is poorly written.

Strange that people loved it then. The scene makes a lot of sense - it gave the fairly bland sand snakes some character and made Tyene someone to root for. I also saw it - blame me for being progressive - as an icon of female empowerment. Bronn saw it this way, too, I'm sure of it.

Strange that people loved it then. The scene makes a lot of sense - it gave the fairly bland sand snakes some character and made Tyene someone to root for. I also saw it - blame me for being progressive - as an icon of female empowerment. Bronn saw it this way, too, I'm sure of it.

It's not strange at all. People love a lot of stupid things. It's why the Transformers movies make billions. People got excited over a pair of boobs and are now committed to defending it till their dying breath.

It gives Tyene some development it's true. But a.) The Sand Snakes development should have come before enacting their plot to capture Myrcella, it's too little to late and b.) they take the seductress trait from Nym and give it Tyene. So in developing one Sandsnake they make another a complete non-entity.

I don't see how poisoning a fan favourite makes Tyene one to root for. She's attractive and charismatic sure, I'll give her that. As for female empowerment, well I don't see how flashing someone and then forcing them to call you pretty under threat of death is an icon of female empowerment. I get the impression you don't really do feminism do you?

As for female empowerment, well I don't see how flashing someone and then forcing them to call you pretty under threat of death is an icon of female empowerment. I get the impression you don't really do feminism do you?

It's a welcome change to the male dominated society the rest of Westeros abides by. She forces Bronn to submit to her female wiles and beauty - and she has the body to pull it off. That's text book female empowerment and I (as a progressive male) really endorse it!

It's not strange at all. People love a lot of stupid things. It's why the Transformers movies make billions. People got excited over a pair of boobs and are now committed to defending it till their dying breath.

It gives Tyene some development it's true. But a.) The Sand Snakes development should have come before enacting their plot to capture Myrcella, it's too little to late and b.) they take the seductress trait from Nym and give it Tyene. So in developing one Sandsnake they make another a complete non-entity.

First, even if true, that's still a bizarre argument. It's a zero sum exchange, why on Earth should I get my smallclothes in a twist just because they took trait a from character X and gave it to character Y? It's a zero sum exchange. Honestly, it seems like you feel you should dislike the scene and try to invent objective, scientific reasons why it sucks. It's not convincing.

And besides, Tyene didn't steal it from Nym, but from Arianne, who doesn't appear in the show anyway, so it's not as if she needs it for anything. She was the seductress in the book, and she even used her breasts (with huge dark nipples!) in the act.

You are hilarious. And a troll. Since you think this entire show is a bad television, your presence in this thread is an obvious trolling.

It also laughable to claim that you are not a Puritan, if you find the pair of tits gratuitous. To show a naked body during the seduction is not gratuitous. Naked Kung-fu in Marco Polo was gratuitous, Tyene scene was not. And why that scene was not unnecessary was said already many times, so allow me to congratulate you to your ignorance.

I'm genuinely mystified. How anyone can watch the Dorne storyline, with it's atrocious acting and nonsensical plot, and think it's wonderful television! Really? I mean really?? At times I though I was watching a bad episode from Xena Warrior Princess. The rest of the show has it's problems, this season in particular, but jeez.

It's a welcome change to the male dominated society the rest of Westeros abides by. She forces Bronn to submit to her female wiles and beauty - and she has the body to pull it off. That's text book female empowerment and I (as a progressive male) really endorse it!

That's one of the funniest things I've read in years. Was it the way the camera lingered for uncomfortably long periods over her pert nipples that gave you the sense she was empowered?

We're talking about the jail scene. NOT the Dorish plotline as a whole, not whether the development Tyene received here is an addition to already steady character development, just whether this scene is good. And again, Tyene did not go out her way to poison Bronn, so as to fish compliments out of him. She went after Lannisters, ended up fighting this singer dude, and is now locked in jail with Bronn, whose ended up poisoned in their fight and is working with what's she got from there.

Archived