Performance mode

mormont

At present the board is in performance mode. This means that certain functions are temporarily disabled to help cope with unusually high traffic. These functions include searching, using 'View New Content' or 'My Content' (as these are functions of search) and viewing other users' profiles. Full functionality will be restored as traffic eases.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

mcbigski,

We're already running two servers, more wouldn't be feasible on a permanent basis. We've talked about some scaling solutions, but for various reasons could not get that implemented this year. The wiki upgrade left us with some problems that took weeks to troubleshoot and ate up much of the time our host could have spent looking at alternative setups.

Lord Lannister,

We'll probably give it a try tomorrow. Its late enough now that we're soon heading to bed, so that wouldn't be a good time.

I'm still seeing notifications..? What kind of notifications aren't you seeing? I still receive both subscribed threads notifs and "user... has quoted a post you made"..

Until about half an hour ago, I didn't see any thread notifications, even though I knew they were updated. As of now, though, my mailbox is suddenly flooded :-)

We probably can't try search until we've upgraded the forum and/or moved the forum back to the other server. We'll have to see what can be done after we come back (Monday, but late).

• 4 weeks later...

I have a question that I *think* may be something to do with the search function...

My account here is linked to my Twitter account, and when I change my avi there, it changes here as well. But the last time I changed my Twitter prof pic, the change wasn't updated here. For some reason I have a 'broken image'. I did try to fix it here, on edit profile, manage Twitter, and clicking on 'sync now'. And I can see the pic on my prof here, but still the pic won't load for some reason after I save changes.  

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but could this be happening because the 'sync with Twitter' is part of the search function? 

Cheers.

ps: it's a photo I've used before with no probs

Edited by kissdbyfire

I had the same issue and it seems you have to delete the photo entirely from your profile by selecting another option, saving and then going  back in and setting it to the Twitter photo.

• 2 years later...

Hi, As a web programmer I want to help with a trick that can maybe increase requests load and performance and reduce the respone time.

I noticed that the application save information about every clicked topic by every user so next time the user visits, the application will decide if there are new posts in the topic to display or not the link in bold .

The database table containing those informations must be gigantic by now and I suspect that the functionality is very complicated and a bottleneck in performance, I suggest purging that table regularly (and maybe deactivate the functionality) and see if there is a performance gain

Thanks.

Edited by Future Null Infinity

If I recall correctly, all that information is actually stored in the cookie users get when they log in. There is also the option to have it in the database, as I recall. I'll double check to make sure. It's a good suggestion!