Is it just me or has Lena Headley's performance been too weak this season?

zeppelincheetah

Just you.

Her telling her son she loves him was really good.

Her getting angry at LF when she hears about Boltons was very good

And finally the smirk vanishing from her face was perfect.

Why only consider the weak points?

She has been better than most seasons, actually. I find it very odd that you would nitpick her performance out of all things this season.

Looks like the hate-club for Lena Headey as Cersei is still going strong. :dunno:

And finally the smirk vanishing from her face was perfect.

When Lancel walked in the room, I swear her expression changed without her moving any muscles.

I think she's done the best with what she's been given. Writing is fairly bad, direction a bit better, acting great.

the king's landing scenes in episodes 4 and 6 were a little weak so i can understand not liking her acting in those episodes. but otherwise she's been great, last episode she was incredible especially in the scene with tommen. i think she's going to kill it in the next couple of episodes, can't wait for her to slay the walk of shame

It's not that there's anything wrong with her performance IMO - it just doesn't mesh up at all with how I, personally, imagine Cersei in the novels, the novels that correspond to this season in particular.

I definitely feel she's been a lot weaker this season. She says everything in that weird, smug half-whisper. I blame the writing to be honest. Even talented actors can only do so much to make poor material work.

The thing is she's acting differently than in the books. In the books in general (and in Crows in particular) she's more fierce, she shouts more, she's more agressive. Show-Cersei is more restrained, more tragic in a way, and at the same time more dangerous and intelligent. I think we will see a progression and we'll see a more screaming-Cersei now that she's been arrested.

She's been speaking like that since S1E1.

She has and it's always bugged me. But I feel like she's doing it even more than usual. Honestly I've never been too keen on Headey as Cersei. I feel like she was never right for the role but they changed the role for her.

She's been speaking like that since S1E1.

I think the difference is that back in season 1 there was an expectation that Cersei would get progressively more and more unhinged. Now that we're firmly in AFfC territory, it's clear that book-Cersei and Carol will remain distinct. I'm sure she'll go crazy after the Walk of Shame, but there's no way they could believably come close to show-Cersei without it feeling seriously forced.

So obviously her performance is going to grate more now than it did in season 1, because she's been delivering her lines in the same tone for the last 57 episodes.

I think the difference is that back in season 1 there was an expectation that Cersei would get progressively more and more unhinged. Now that we're firmly in AFfC territory, it's clear that book-Cersei and Carol will remain distinct. I'm sure she'll go crazy after the Walk of Shame, but there's no way they could believably come close to show-Cersei without it feeling seriously forced.

So obviously her performance is going to grate more now than it did in season 1, because she's been delivering her lines in the same tone for the last 57 episodes.

It's a shame. I don't love, love, love Lena as Cersei, but Blackwater showed me that she could handle Cersei's descent into mania, boozing and general irrationality, why instead we got Carol Lannister, beats the hell outa me.

I have always enjoyed Lena's performance quite a bit but I have never pretended that she is playing Cersei Lannister from the text. She is simply playing a different character, as has been the case from the start.

It's a shame. I don't love, love, love Lena as Cersei, but Blackwater showed me that she could handle Cersei's descent into mania, boozing and general irrationality, why instead we got Carol Lannister, beats the hell outa me.

I thought she was great in season 2 and would have absolutely nailed book-Cersei.

But what are we expecting from D&D? Here's what they said about casting her as Cersei:

We never thought of Cersei as a particularly funny character until Lena read for the part.

They never thought of Cersei as funny. Doesn't that just explain everything about their adaptation?

(The source is here. The whole thing is pretty funny actually, because it's so completely ridiculous. They think Cersei is more suited to ruling than Tyrion LOL.)

Archived