What will Stannis do? (Show spoilers)

nationalanthem91

Another crackpot theory (I have already mentioned it in another thread): Stannis offers himself to Melisandre in place of Shireen. Before his death Stannis has told Davos to continue the war to put Shireen on the throne.

Melisandre now returns to the Wall with King's blood to resurrect Jon/Azor Ahai.

I did consider that. While it would be an awesome moment for Stannis, it would also mean his cause losing one of the greatest commanders in Westeros and thus becoming considerably weaker. Unless more forces join them, that is.

from episode 9 synopsis :

stannis faces a difficult decision

this may very well be the decision" what is life of his daughter against a kingdom "

and we also have the line from Mel in season 2

"You will betray the men who serve you; you will betray your family; you will betray all you once held dear. And, it will all be worth it."

so i think its very likely he will choose to do it ...though i still think it will be Selyse the one burns shireen when stannis is injured or dead ..

Which episode was this from? Reason I ask is that I don't remember if this was before or after Renly's death.

Which episode was this from? Reason I ask is that I don't remember if this was before or after Renly's death.

After the loss in KL and he chokes her and ask her where is her God now.

That quote looks to me to be a hint that Stannis will give up his claim to the crown eventually because that's what he held dear (was Shireen even in the show at that point?). I think Mel's vision of Stannis fighting the forces of darkness is a true one and I don't think the Boltons are those forces (pink ain't a dark colour) so I think he will live a while yet. I also don't think Mel has any good reason to save Jon yet. Mel views AA as a warrior leading the battle for dawn so Stannis is her AA as per her vision. Jon may be the real AA but he is not the hero Mel wants.

Pretty sure Show Stannis and Book Stannis both die at Winterfell. He's not AA and he's not going to sit on the Iron Throne, so he's not really needed further, plot-wise.

Agreed. He's a tragic figure. Could have, perhaps should have, been king, but has no business in the north with Mel burning folks and trying to become a god.

This brings me to something I've always wondered. What does Stannis really want? Does he want the throne? Does he want to rule? Does he want to save the world? Does he want to do what is honorable? Does he want to do what is right? If he wants all of those, which does he want the most? And how sure is he about Melisandre? It's fascinating, honestly, that we don't what choice he'll make.

This brings me to something I've always wondered. What does Stannis really want? Does he want the throne? Does he want to rule? Does he want to save the world? Does he want to do what is honorable? Does he want to do what is right? If he wants all of those, which does he want the most? And how sure is he about Melisandre? It's fascinating, honestly, that we don't what choice he'll make.

He really is the most ambiguous character. Four seasons in we don't really know him at all. He is very confusing to the audience like who is he?????

- He burns people that don't follow the red god- ok that is just evil

- He killed his brother behind his back not on the battlefield man to man- that was a douchebag thing to do

- He doesn't abuse or blame his wife who is just nuts and hasn't given him any sons, he is kind to her in his own way and loves his daughter despite how society sees her as a sickness- ok that is damn honourable for a westerosi noble man

- He thinks it is perfectly ok to burn an innocent young man alive who has committed no crime just so that he can gain power- seems like he doesn't know where to draw the line between right and wrong

- He goes all the way up the north to save the watch from the dead and wildling invasion- that was good of him

- He burns mance alive for not bending the knee- that was not nice at all considering wildlings are from beyond the wall beyond westerosi realm and he really has no jurisdiction to demand their loyalty

- He loans his ships which are very critical to his invasion of KL to jon- he comes off as father santa claus

- His whole belief in the red god like how did it all began, how did he meet mel, for a learned man he seems to have more faith in the hocus pocus crap mel spouts than in his own abilities- he comes across as confused and lacking conviction

What does Stannis ultimately want. Does he want to save the world or does he want to sit the IT or does he want both.

Either the writers are deliberately making Stannis confusing because he himself doesn't know what he wants or they haven't figure out yet who Stannis is either.

Sometimes I wish he was a POV character but half the fun (?!?!) is trying to figure out who he is. And it is fascinating to read about him through the eyes of different characters.

He really is the most ambiguous character. Four seasons in we don't really know him at all. He is very confusing to the audience like who is he?????

- He killed his brother behind his back not on the battlefield man to man- that was a douchebag thing to do

- He doesn't abuse or blame his wife who is just nuts and hasn't given him any sons, he is kind to her in his own way and loves his daughter despite how society sees her as a sickness- ok that is damn honourable for a westerosi noble man

- He thinks it is perfectly ok to burn an innocent young man alive who has committed no crime just so that he can gain power- seems like he doesn't know where to draw the line between right and wrong

- He goes all the way up the north to save the watch from the dead and wildling invasion- that was good of him

- He burns mance alive for not bending the knee- that was not nice at all considering wildlings are from beyond the wall beyond westerosi realm and he really has no jurisdiction to demand their loyalty

- He loans his ships which are very critical to his invasion of KL to jon- he comes off as father santa claus

- His whole belief in the red god like how did it all began, how did he meet mel, for a learned man he seems to have more faith in the hocus pocus crap mel spouts than in his own abilities- he comes across as confused and lacking conviction

What does Stannis ultimately want. Does he want to save the world or does he want to sit the IT or does he want both.

Either the writers are deliberately making Stannis confusing because he himself doesn't know what he wants or they haven't figure out yet who Stannis is either.

I always assumed that Mance was burned for deserting the Night's Watch. The burning being a departure from the traditional beheading method of execution, but not really an egregious deviation. Stannis gave Mance an out (joining his army) but his execution wasn't because of his refusal, nor because of being a Wildling. (Otherwise, you'd expect Tormund et al, to be next up on "Mel's Kitchen".

In answer to Witchy's question, I think Stannis feels that being King is not only his right, it's his duty. He is an uncompromising man and he's likely unwilling, if not unable, to forego either.

I think he probably doesn't really want to be king, but he knows that he needs to be king. His duty as Robert's true heir and knowing that the Seven Kingdoms are being torn apart drives him, but I don't think he actually really desires the throne on a personal level.

I always assumed that Mance was burned for deserting the Night's Watch. The burning being a departure from the traditional beheading method of execution, but not really an egregious deviation. Stannis gave Mance an out (joining his army) but his execution wasn't because of his refusal, nor because of being a Wildling. (Otherwise, you'd expect Tormund et al, to be next up on "Mel's Kitchen".

In answer to Witchy's question, I think Stannis feels that being King is not only his right, it's his duty. He is an uncompromising man and he's likely unwilling, if not unable, to forego either.

i don't think stannis reason for wanting the iron throne is made explicitly clear. i think a few times he is stated that is his right, he is just another guy who wants power. lets face it no one want this throne because they want to serve the people not even dany she wants to get back her family's prize, everyone wants it for only one reason and that is power. i mean dany can come back and say the throne belongs to her as it was stolen from her father what will stannis do then. i mean it is hard to place stannis he doesn't come off across as someone who always will do the right thing, only if the right thing suits him.

also it wasn't made clear why he burned mance either. stannis asked him to bend the knee and he didn't so it seemed like he got burned for that reason, that is how i saw that scene play out. when jon asked about the other wildlings stannis says they will either bend the knee or he will burn them like mance. obviously he doesn't follow up with that threat so that was kind of is confusing. first of all i never liked stannis interfering in the running of the watch, it should have been jon's prerogative how to punish mance not stannis. stannis taking refuge in nights watch has exposed the nights watch to partiality when the nights watch is a haven for neutrality, obviously what is to stop boltons from sending an army to attack the watch. sorry off track.

Th two bold ones are only on the show!

In the books he only burns people he has sentenced to death for treason, not because they didn't convert to lord of light! if stannis actually burned men because they refused to convert he would have to burn half of his army davos included!

He doesn't burn mance because he refused to bend the knee, in the books he burns him cause he betrayed the nights watch.

I think this is the one thing Stannis and Dany have in common. They both think the throne is theirs by right and that it's their duty to rule. And they're both right, from their own points of view.

In reality there would be no way he would allow Shireen to be burned, however, it's not Stannis' decision, it's D&D's. I can just see it now, their smug satisfied faces as they talk to the camera after the episode it happens where they say "It really is the turning point for Stannis, it was a tough choice, but his unquenchable thirst for power and the Iron Throne ultimately drove him to brutally murder his daughter while laughing like a psychopath and dancing in the snow. Damn, we are such good writers."

I swear, if they make Stannis give in, and burn her, there is no reason for me to continue watching. That will be the final insult to Stannis' character and all who like him.

Archived