Pycelle

Ser Grimes

Because Tyrion hasn't entered Pycelle algorithm of Lannister pecking order:

1. If Tywin is in town, suck up to him; else

2. If Cersei is in town, suck up to her; else

3. Suck up to nearest Lannister

Simple, really. Tyrion was 3), while Cersei is 2) - so Pycelle sucks up to her.

Because Tyrion hasn't entered Pycelle algorithm of Lannister pecking order:

1. If Tywin is in town, suck up to him; else

2. If Cersei is in town, suck up to her; else

3. Suck up to nearest Lannister

Simple, really. Tyrion was 3), while Cersei is 2) - so Pycelle sucks up to her.

You've cracked the code.

Pycelle serves house lannister.

Pycelle loves/admires Tywin Lannister most of all.

Tyrion was sent by Tywin to rule in his name.

Pycelle worked again Tyrion, knowning he was acting in Tywins stead.

Why?

Because Pycelle does not serve House Lannister, he serves the citadel and Westeros.

Pycelle genuinely thought that Tywin was the greatest leader around and that he was best for the kingdom.

People like to see things in black and white and box everyone as either good or bad.

Because Pycelle does not serve House Lannister, he serves the citadel and Westeros.

Pycelle genuinely thought that Tywin was the greatest leader around and that he was best for the kingdom.

People like to see things in black and white and box everyone as either good or bad.

Exactly, Pycelle acting in Tywin's best interests doesn't mean he's evil... far from it.

What you're describing sounds much more like framing Pycelle as necessarily good, always thinking about the good of the realm. Working for Lannisters, on the other hand, only means he has an agenda, like everyon else, it doesn't mean he's "bad".

True. Pycelle doesn't "serve House Lannister", or he certainly wouldn't see it that way. He thinks that aiding House Lannister in general, and Tywin in particular, is the best bet for stability. Which is one reason he starts detaching himself from Cersei as she becomes increasingly erratic after Tywin's death.

I think there's more to it. I still suspect that Pycelle might've been a Lannister before coming a maester.

Possible. Or a Westerlander, at any rate. There's a simpler answer though: Pycelle served as Grand Maester under Aerys. He saw first-hand how the young Tywin held the realm together under a King that was gradually losing his grasp on reality, and he saw the realm descend into war and chaos after Tywin's dismissal. Of course he also saw Tywin Lannister's host brutally sack King's Landing, but no-one ever accused Pycelle of an over-abundance of objectivity.

Because Tywin hasn't been in the city for 13 years so for the past decade plus he's been working with Cersei. Years of working together and I'm sure that Cersei has rewarded him for his services.

Ewhhhh. You don't think Cersei slept with pycelle? I now have a whole new outlook on ASOIAF.

I guess it's very likely. He was loyal to her, he does sleep with women (more specifically whores) and Cersei had been known to prostitute herself in return for service.

Ewhhhh. You don't think Cersei slept with pycelle? I now have a whole new outlook on ASOIAF.

I guess it's very likely. He was loyal to her, he does sleep with women (more specifically whores) and Cersei had been known to prostitute herself in return for service.

If she had, I think Martin would have told us. No reason not to.

Archived